Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/18/2015 8:45:50 PM EDT
What's the trick to get these to work over the single USB cable?  I'm working with Linux Mint. Decoding works great. I don't think the signal is getting out and I can't terminate a send with a"^r".  Audio Devices is set to USB Audio CODEC:-(hw:1,0).  Rig Hamlib is the IC-7200 beta and device is /dev/ttyUSB1.  Any thoughts?
I have no problem using the same computer with my FT-857D with a CAT cable and a USB SignaLink.

Edit: add images.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 10:07:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Try this:

Use Rigcat

2 retries
Retry interval 50
Write delay 50
Baud rate 19200
All boxes unchecked except "cat command for PTT"

On the radio -
hit "m-ch/rit/SET" for one long press

Data - on

hit "m-ch/rit/SET" for  another long press

CIV  Baud 192
CIV Adr 76
CIV TRN on
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 10:26:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Also, what are the permission on /dev/ttyUSB1? E.g., open a terminal and do this:

# cd /dev

# ls -l | grep ttyUSB1

Then post the results.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 10:27:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, it was the Baud rate on the radio.
I couldn't get the radio to work with Rigcat but switching back to Hamlib got me on the air and controlling the radio.
I owe you one!!
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 10:29:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Also, what are the permission on /dev/ttyUSB1? E.g., open a terminal and do this:

# cd /dev
# ls -l | grep ttyUSB1

Then post the results.
View Quote

It's working now.

Here is the results.
crw-rw----  1 root dialout 188,   1 Feb 18 20:27 ttyUSB1
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 11:06:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Linux is sooooo much easier than Windows
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 12:37:14 AM EDT
[#6]
What baud rate did you end up using?
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 1:43:35 AM EDT
[#7]
I changed the radio to 19200 baud, matching the default (beta) listing in FLDigi. It does seem a little slower to start sending text than the FT-857D and from what I remembered on the IC-7200 was like on Windows using FLDigi.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 9:59:06 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
It's working now.

Here is the results.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

# cd /dev

# ls -l | grep ttyUSB1

Then post the results.

It's working now.

Here is the results.

Since just changing the radio's baud rate, permissions were not the problem. Your user account must already be in the dialout group.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 10:45:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Also use pulseaudio for your sound device. Then open pavucontrol to set what sound card you want to use. It is an added step but well worth it in the future when you start seeing how awesome pulse audio is. Sometimes you will run into sampling rate issues using alsa.

Your radio should have a menu setting that lets you set the baud rate. I use 9600 on everything so I don't have to worry about remembering a bunch of different settings. For rig control 9600 is plenty fast enough.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 12:32:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Also use pulseaudio for your sound device. Then open pavucontrol to set what sound card you want to use. It is an added step but well worth it in the future when you start seeing how awesome pulse audio is. Sometimes you will run into sampling rate issues using alsa.

Your radio should have a menu setting that lets you set the baud rate. I use 9600 on everything so I don't have to worry about remembering a bunch of different settings. For rig control 9600 is plenty fast enough.
View Quote

Came here to post this, almost exactly.

Pulseaudio rocks. Add some virtual sinks, and you can route anything to anything.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 8:39:48 AM EDT
[#11]
I use the same Linux Mint laptop for two digital rigs just not at the same time.

As suggested, I started using Pulseaudio but on the FT-857D FLDigi configuration and connected up my Diawa SWR meter to a dummy load to get the signal out in the right direction and the ALC clean.  I do like the ease of adjustability and selectivity with Pulseaudio even though it has to be opened up separately.

This weekend I should be able to get the IC-7200 configuration using Pulseaudio too.

Because I use one laptop for two digital rigs, I'm guessing that I will have to set the Pulseaudio's FLDigi volume settings off the IC-7200 then go back to the FT-857D setup and adjust the SignaLink for the optimal ALC setting.  That way I should be able to swap back and forth between the rigs not having to touch the volume controls. Does this sound right?

I checked my FT-857D FLDigi default configuration and it's set for 38400 Baud rate. Help me understand this, is there any significant difference in the variation of Baud rates or is it really that the radio and computer only need to match?  I'm assuming that there are other instances where one device may have a fixed baud rate.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 10:21:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I use the same Linux Mint laptop for two digital rigs just not at the same time.

As suggested, I started using Pulseaudio but on the FT-857D FLDigi configuration and connected up my Diawa SWR meter to a dummy load to get the signal out in the right direction and the ALC clean.  I do like the ease of adjustability and selectivity with Pulseaudio even though it has to be opened up separately.

This weekend I should be able to get the IC-7200 configuration using Pulseaudio too.

Because I use one laptop for two digital rigs, I'm guessing that I will have to set the Pulseaudio's FLDigi volume settings off the IC-7200 then go back to the FT-857D setup and adjust the SignaLink for the optimal ALC setting.  That way I should be able to swap back and forth between the rigs not having to touch the volume controls. Does this sound right?

I checked my FT-857D FLDigi default configuration and it's set for 38400 Baud rate. Help me understand this, is there any significant difference in the variation of Baud rates or is it really that the radio and computer only need to match?  I'm assuming that there are other instances where one device may have a fixed baud rate.
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee73/tangotag_bucket/f0ec0d6e40bca259bf0c21b742e413c3_zps8246f31e.jpg
View Quote

For rig control there really isn't any difference, that you can tell as far as baud rates. The computer just has to match the radio.

You can setup Fldigi with 2 different configs. You can make a launcher using

fldigi --config-dir /path/to/file

You can have two, 1 for the 857 and 1 for the 7200. Pulseaudio might be able to tell the difference, but you might have to set the sound device in the "pulse server string" something like

localhost hw:1-0

Link Posted: 2/20/2015 10:49:33 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm running separate Fldigi configurations for the radios with their own start icons on the desktop.  
For Pulseaudio, just leaving the server string blank worked for the FT-857D.  I will get time to work on it more with the IC-7200 and FT-857D side by side this weekend.
This old laptop only has 3 USB ports and the FT-857D setup takes up two of the USB ports.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 12:54:03 PM EDT
[#14]
TAG

I used to run fldigi in ubuntu linux with a ts-480/signalink

One of these days I'm gonna try linux and the TS-590
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 11:57:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Both radios can have their own volume adjusted settings through Pulseaudio.  It recognized each radio by name when FLDigi was running.

Now to look at why my FT-857D has a S8 noise level while my and my IC-7200 has S3.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 12:18:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Now to look at why my FT-857D has a S8 noise level while my and my IC-7200 has S3.
View Quote

The FT-857/857D/897/897D have AF stage DSP/noise reduction.  

The IC-7200 has far better IF stage DSP/noise reduction.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 9:10:14 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm working with digital and thought I had all of the filtering and noise reduction turned off.  I might be missing something on the IC-7200.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:40:45 PM EDT
[#18]
I checked into the Digital Net with the IC-7200 last night.  I still need to get up a better antenna, just waiting for some better weather on that front.

This Acer laptop now with Mint Linux had been my Ham computer setup with TQSL when it was a Windows system.  So last night I installed TQSL for doing LOTW from the Linux repositories  It pops up that a newer version is available.  I re-submitted for a registration card on the current version and downloaded the next versions tar.gz file.  I would think waiting to upgrade the program might be better once I have LOTW all setup and functioning.  Anybody using TQSL on their Linux boxes?
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 3:03:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:.  Anybody using TQSL on their Linux boxes?
View Quote

Yes.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 2:23:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I shut all power off to the house except one outlet, 3 different power supplies, IC-7200 maintains a low noise levels, where the FT-857D in many cases runs S5 more noise.  At least it's nice to know if there is artificial noise it's not under my direct control.  Noise level had no change with all power restored.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top