Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2015 8:44:30 PM EDT
I recently bought a house that included a 40ft tower.  I have access to the "Intermountain Intertie" spanning from Montana to Arizona and south California from a repeater 54 miles away.  My tower came with a rotator, don't know it's status until spring when I can get up there and check it out.  The previous owner had a moon raker 10m antenna up there that he comm'd with someone from Austrailia.  I want to connect with both my 2m repeater tie, and possibly hit the arfcom freq's that yall use on the east coast.  I have a copper pipe j-pole made, just not mounted, and I possess a mystery antenna.  I just moved in.  Any good suggestions on how to proceed?

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:55:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Pics of tower?  ETA: Or a good description, lots of variables there.

I also thought this was about the Q of an antenna by the title, such as a high Q mobile or other limited space antenna.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:07:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry, it's gotten dark, I'll post a pic of offending tower tomorrow.  The 10m antenna would have to be fixed to be used, but I have no interest in 10m
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:29:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Please check the tower's installation and mounting hardware very closely if you're planning on climbing it v. using a cherry picker/bucket,
and make sure you've got a harness. New unknown towers are at high risk for accidents.

After that, plunk the 2M on top and/or get a 2M yagi (they're cheap) if the rotator works.

Someone else will be better able to comment on HF, but if it were me, I'll put an arm on it to hold a vertical wire and
throw down a bunch of radials, 'cause I'm a vertical guy. I'd imagine you could do a lot of interesting wire antennas with
a 40' support.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:49:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Dont throw out the baby with the bath water. 10 meters ssb can be a great time when the band is open.
J pole wont be too directional, so the rotator wont help that. Dont get me wrong, I have a j pole up on the roof and am on it right now. If you can turn it, then a nice beam antenna would be sweet.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 10:21:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Yea, post some pictures.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:50:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 11:58:10 AM EDT
[#7]
OP- Where in Idaho are you?
I am in McCall.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 12:23:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Thought this was a thread about antenna Q factor . . . . resonance / bandwidth

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 12:34:11 PM EDT
[#9]
The FIRST thing to do is to call Charlie Chan and have him figure out the mystery antenna.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 2:01:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is that this intertie?  If so we should chat sometime.  I've tried to get into UT when I'm in WY but haven't had any luck.
View Quote

Yes, that intertie, can't really hit it right now with my HT though
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 2:02:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
OP- Where in Idaho are you?
I am in McCall.
View Quote

I'm a bit north of Idaho Falls now, used to live in Boise
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:41:58 PM EDT
[#12]

pics
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 7:41:06 AM EDT
[#13]
I'd be really worried about the base.  It' the most important part of a tower like that, and it doesn't appear to be anywhere near spec or capable of holding the tower up.

The tower itself appears to be a Rohn BX series.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 9:58:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Wow, that base is SCARY.

OP: Buy a new BX base, dig a hole, and pour the requisite concrete for a new one. While you're waiting for that to all happen, call up someone with a cherry picker to start disassembling that thing before it becomes an "indoor tower."
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 10:23:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Wow, that base is SCARY.

OP: Buy a new BX base, dig a hole, and pour the requisite concrete for a new one. While you're waiting for that to all happen, call up someone with a cherry picker to start disassembling that thing before it becomes an "indoor tower."
View Quote

Judging by the concrete wall next to the tower, the original owner probably sunk those base pipes in concrete.  Still looks a little lightweight to support a tower.  
Stories I hear of towers and pictures I've seen, are much stronger than that three-pipe base.

Bill
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 11:00:03 AM EDT
[#16]
have you searched around to see who had it before and maybe find design and build pictures?  (eg QRZ profile pages?)  

a moonraker was pretty common awhile ago for 11 meters.

could take a shovel and dig under the cover dirt to see how it is mounted to hopefully a concrete base.  

if it seems pretty solid.  go up 15-20' with some double braid nylon and tie off each leg with anchors driven in the ground (or onto hitch assemblies on cars).  Then go up another 15-20' and do this again for "temporary guying".  Make sure if you use cars you have the keys in your pocket.  

then do what you gotta do then.

seems to me all that tower for a J-pole is a waste.  throw some more stuff on it and the General ticket in your wallet.  

much luck and looks like a lot of fun.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 8:01:44 PM EDT
[#17]
I'll join the crowd urging a base inspection. Definitely cherry-picker only on the antenna install IMO given the base and general uncertainty about the quality of the installation.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 10:49:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Are there any guy lines on that?? I can't see any & at 40' tall it sure should have some at the 30-35 mark.

Ya might find out who the local ham guy with towers is in your area & have him take a looksee at as well.

We don't want to see an "Ask a guy who just fell off a tower anything" type of thread!!
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 2:54:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Ground is kind of frozen, will check it out come spring and prior to doing anything other than removing that antenna.  Cannot find any record of either this address having a HAM at it or anyone with the previous owner's last name in the records for this state.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top