Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2015 5:33:41 PM EDT
 A station using this call..kf5xxx was monitored twice using the word damn.....2mm local net
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 5:36:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn it man!!

Isn't damn on the FCC ok list?
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 5:39:06 PM EDT
[#2]
in other news, I got the repeater owner here to call OCT douche bags on the machine - that's about as racey as this repeater gets.

ETA: what part of Texas?
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 5:49:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Pardon my ignorance, but what's an OO card?
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 5:51:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I won,t say I like this repeater system and I like the guys on it,  Some guys think a oo card is a badge of honor..
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 5:53:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Official Observer
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 5:53:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

A snitch!

http://www.arrl.org/official-observer-1
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 5:54:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

http://www.arrl.org/official-observer-1

I'm not real familiar with them other than the link above.  I guess they poke around and issue "warnings" if you're misbehaving and or have equipment problems prior to getting the FCC involved.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 5:55:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Too slow.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 5:58:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Too slow.
View Quote

Indeed! I'm often beaten by ARFCOM!
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 6:18:40 PM EDT
[#10]
No worries about the OO...before long you'll be a HAM veteran...sitting alone in dim room at night in your underwear chatting to other men on the airwaves about nonsensical HAM jargon.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 6:21:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
No worries about the OO...before long you'll be a HAM veteran...sitting alone in dim room at night in your underwear chatting to other men on the airwaves about nonsensical HAM jargon.
View Quote

can you see me right now?
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 6:26:18 PM EDT
[#12]
I got an OO card because I didn't identify in 10 minutes. For a qso that lasted less than 20 minutes... I identified at the beginning and at the end. Oh well. You'll get a few in your lifetime, they're not anything other than a "hey, you did this. Don't do it again."

Now, when you get a letter from the FCC, you might actually have to read it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 6:42:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ME too
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 6:49:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
 A station using this call..kf5xxx was monitored twice using the word damn.....2mm local net
View Quote

He would get writers cramp listening to my local 2m repeater!
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 7:09:31 PM EDT
[#15]

I got one for operating too close to a band edge during a contest.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 7:39:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
http://www.arrl.org/files/image/Get_Involved/oonotice.gif

I got one for operating too close to a band edge during a contest.
View Quote

That's the one,,,
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:42:09 PM EDT
[#17]
I want to be an OFFICIAL observer.  Will I get a gun and badge?
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:25:06 PM EDT
[#18]
OO == TSA of the airwaves

Got my first red badge of courage about a month ago.

Nailed the whole lot of us at the same time one night for 10 minute ID violations on a popular 80M ragchew frequency that shall go unmentioned. Freaked some of the guys right out. Now they say "<callsign> for the OO..." when they identify.

I'd show a scan of mine, but it went into the trash so quick there was a small tear in the space-time continuum...

I'm a pretty darn good op, if I say so myself I say "Bring it!", OO's...
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 10:13:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Hard to believe that someone would have a clock and write down call signs waiting for 10 minute violations, Especially if you're in a net, which could have ten or more operators.
1030 wwxabc
1031 wwxdef
1033 wwxghi
1048 wwxjkl
1051 wwxmno
Then again, there may be specific logging software for this that breaks it down to the 100th of a second...?
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 10:25:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Nailed the whole lot of us at the same time one night for 10 minute ID violations on a popular 80M ragchew frequency that shall go unmentioned. Freaked some of the guys right out. Now they say "<callsign> for the OO..." when they identify.

I'd show a scan of mine, but it went into the trash so quick there was a small tear in the space-time continuum...

View Quote

How about recording your callsign ID with Morse Code at 50WPM and use that to ID every 9 minutes, 57 seconds.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:22:09 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

2mm local net
View Quote

That must have been very local.  Twenty feet would be DX on that band.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:33:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

How about recording your callsign ID with Morse Code at 50WPM and use that to ID every 9 minutes, 57 seconds.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now I use something called "Cool Timer" and it pops up a message saying "ID your station!" every 10 minutes.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:47:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:47:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've never received one of those, but if I did, I'd just set the computer to burst out a 200 WPM CW id every 9m 59s.

ETA: Beat by Gyrpat.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 5:22:32 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View Quote
I don't know, but  I now want one.

It appears you have use the word "damn" to get one.

I think I will give it a try.

Do you have to use it in a sentence?  Or just throw it out there?

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:25:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Seriously, damn?     In 30-some years I never got one of those, I guess I have been lucky!
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 11:36:10 AM EDT
[#27]
All of this is well and good but it seems that often the kind of guy that gets the Official Observer job is just some stuffy old fart that has as his personal agenda to turn the bands into a gosh, golly, gee whiz. Ho ho ho.

The guy is probably half toasted on mood elevators and likely is to cheap or straight to just drink like the rest of us.

The truth is that he likely has nothing  else to do. He's a do-good idiot trying to clean up a hobby that's pretty clean to begin with. When he doesn't find any violations he creates them.

I had a chat with another ham that's also a commercial license holder and he explained that the only thing that is truly illegal that the FCC can nail you for are a few words involving fornication and defecation. That's about it.

A while back I was pissed off and swore my PSK 31 signal wasn't getting out so I typed in 'Girls, girls, girls, live dancers 24/7' and hit 'send' only to be surprised that I got a pile up. A couple of you guys jumped on my shit about it but the truth is I was in no real violation. It really wasn't obscenity, although I'll cop to it being mildly tacky. You can drive through a lot of towns and see signs saying and worse  that outside any strip club or generally on G-rated TV shows.

To the 'I don't want my kids exposed to that' set, the truth is you're going to have to raise them inside your home without RV, radio or internet. It's already out there and a damned site worse than what you hear on ham radio unless the 14.313 set is on another rampage.

The truth is, a GOOD Official Observer is likely a pretty much like a good cop. He doesn't go around creating violations but enforces real violations.

Unfortunately they allow  fuddy duddys with agendas to become OOs.

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:56:55 PM EDT
[#28]
PIccolo, will you be my deputy if I get an official OO badge? We'll get all of the Italy Zulu stations off the air. Damn That's right, all of them.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 3:45:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
PIccolo, will you be my deputy if I get an official OO badge? We'll get all of the Italy Zulu stations off the air. .....Damn...         That's right, all of them.
View Quote

LOL
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 5:19:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Don't give your call sign and you have nothing to worry about.
At least that appears to be what a lot of people do.

If you've seen the episode you can't get the sound of Gomer making a citizens arrest of your head now.

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 5:33:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Citizens arrest can only be made on Citizen's Band a.k.a. CB.

Top 10 Reasons
Why CB'ers Hate
HAM Radio Operators

Take a quick glance through many of the popular Ham Radio forums and it doesn't take long before you run in hundreds if not thousands of complaints, moanings and ramblings from the Amateur Radio guy's about CB breakers regarding how we allegedly behave, the equipment that certain CB Stations use and other disasociating factors. Incomparision however, there is little in the way of defense for the CB Population, so we at Meet The Breakers yet again take the loyal side of the CB Radio Breakers corner and present you with the Top Ten Reasons CB'ers hate Ham Radio Operators.

1. Tit For Tat
The initial reason that one started this list. A good proportion of the Ham Radio community regulary air their negative views to the world giving criticism to the CB Breakers for various reasons, CB Radio doesn't really seem to bite back. Untill Now. So there! You don't like us, we don't like you, right back at ya, blah blah! Thats the initial reason, yes childish I know but don't worry, they do get better.

2. Radio Hams Live In Denial.
The majority of HAM Radio Operators that leave the CB Radio behind are living in denial. They give up their freedom of relaxed liberal conversation to adopt a much stricter method of communicating, one where certain aspects of language and certain topics are strictly excluded and a much more formal almost robotic type of dialogue is adopted instead. While the Hams belive that this approach suites them fine and raises their social class up a peg or two from the former friends they now call 'muppets', they still secreltly long for the freedom of CB Radio's charterless demur. However, since they have already paid to get where they are now and have already ditched most of their old CB Good Buddies, the newly ticketed HAM has to continue his life in denile !

3. They Resort To Grassing On Breakers.
If you asked a random member of the public, who would you rather trust between a guy off the CB Radio or a qualified Radio Ham, the CB guy would lose out everytime. The random member of the public would assume that the qualified Radio Ham would be a more trustable figure than the average 'numptee' from 19. However, if you are a CB Breaker, you are actually FOUR TIMES more likely to be turned over by a Radio Ham than a fellow breaker. Im not talking mutilation, theft or thugary here, I'm talking more along the lines of getting reported to the authorities by the Radio Hams. This could be for use of equipment on CB Bands that is illegal, such as Amplifiers, Export Radio's, HF Radios etc or it could be for using frequencies outside the CB Radio frequency allocation. In the lack of any such official authority to monitor the airwaves directly, some Radio Hams see it as their moral responsibilty to police the CB'ers themselves and won't think twice about dobbing you in should they catch you somewhere your not supposed to be on the radio. Getting grassed up by a fellow CB'er is much less likely to happen as opposed to our licensed counterparts.

4. They Become Disloyal.
This has happened time and time again, when a CB Breaker heads off to become a Radio Ham, one of the first things the newly found ham does is goes out there in search of new Radio Ham Chums, during this process they quickly loose ties with the former friends on the CB Radio and eventually disassociate from them entirely. Nearly every CB'er that I have spoke to, will agree that they too know of a former friend from the CB Radio who is now a full time Radio Ham and no longer has the time of day for his former CB pals. Of course there are exceptions to the rule, also many true CB'ers have a Ham License for whatever reason and still remain loyal to the CB.

5. They Belive Their Social Class Changes.
It is a known fact that once someone achieves the license as a Radio Ham, their social class increases. Or atleast it does in the mind of the license holder. Licensed Radio Ham Operators will use this new power to rocket themselves socially above the little people of the CB Radio, the lower class scoundrils of the muppet band can only dream about been just half as important as you are now you have your ticket, har har ha har.

6. They Don't Practise What They Preach.

While a Radio HAM will always be quick off the mark to criticise, complain and possibly even report the two breakers who live in the same town chatting on 19 with 200 watts on each, and bases his entire negative conception of CB Radio upon this, there are many times when the Radio Ham fails to practise what he preaches himself. The most common one is when Mr Radio Ham can no longer cope with the manotany of 2m/70cm and returns back to the CB Band, still using his Multiband HF/VHF/UHF set, keys up and starts shouting for any of his Radio Ham Chums who may have also strayed back on to channel 19. Very rarely will the Ham Radio Operator switch to real legal CB Radio, which is the ONLY legal way to talk on the CB Band. Check out our section on CB Radio Legal stamps.

7. Radio Hams Become Selfish Individuals.
After listening to many CB'ers and indeed Radio Hams over the years, one thing is so blatently obvious. CB Radio Breakers, usually seem to consist of cheery, fun loving happy chappies with friendly outgoing personalities, minus the odd pillock. The Ham Radio Operators though, always give the impression of drabness and sorrow, who's misserable and self centered long overs will include multiple use of the letter 'I'. I did this, I did that, I am going there, I will be buying this, I will be doing this and so on and so on. Most couldn't give a rats tooth about how you are feeling, just aslong as they fill the airwaves with their own self pity and dribble.

8. Instant Font Of Knowledge, Not!.
Nowaday's, ANYBODY can get licensed for Radio Ham Operation. The test unlike days of old, is so easy even a young child could be educated and tested to the same standard in just a few hours. Gone are the day's of Licensed Radio Ham's having to know the ins and outs of radio science, gone are the days when you have to train hard to both code and decode morse, and gone too are the days when Radio Ham Operators actually had to have any basic fundamental knowledge of radio and electronics. It is probably three times harder to pass a car theory test than it is to obtain a functioning Radio Ham License, and despite all this, newly Licensed Radio Hams go about their new hobby beliving that they are now some kind of mastermind of all things radio. Unfortunatly though, they are still the same dumb shits that they have always been, only more aragont.

9. Obcessed With Outdoing The CB'er.
Radio Hams, still not content about getting one over on the lowly CB'ers by getting their ticket, dont usually stop there. While a CB Breaker will probably have an outdoor verticle antenna mounted somewhere around the property, the Radio Ham will always have to try and do one better. He will construct several antenna, and not just stick to verticles either, no the Radio Ham will create ugly pilon type metalic monstrosity antennas known as yagi beams, surrounded with numerous wire antennas hanging and covering every square feet of the property. They claim it's so they can talk accross many different bands, but the real reason is to draw attension to themselves as a way of saying to the CB'ers, I have bigger and more complicated antennas than you have, and more of them, har har!

10. Don't Run Before You Can Walk
Finally, the last reason why CB Radio Breakers are known to hate Radio Hams and is partly due to reason #8, by making it far too easy for anybody to become a Radio Ham. This leads to numerous individuals who spring up out of nowhere, some start on the CB and quickly move on the Radio Ham, others dive straight in, but the end result is just the same. Someone with no real foundational or even prior interest of radio can within a couple of weeks become a station capable of global transmission. It then amuses us CB Radio Breakers senseless when we hear these newly licensed stations asking their buddies on 2m to explain to them what the VFO does in their radio and why they have two of them. What does this Carrier Offset thing do? I have been told I need to buy a balun, what is one of them then? If I connect my Kenwood up to my computer to control it, do I still need an antenna, or does the signal go through the computer? FFS! I mean for christ sake, wasn't any of this covered in the test? Are you really that dumb? You make us numptees on 19 look like Marconni m8, carry on M6BSCS (bull shit call sign)

Stolen from here. Spellin, gramma, punk-tuashin all 100 purr-cent original CB dialect.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 8:24:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Citizen's arrest!

That episode has been in my head for over 40 years.

It's just as funny now as it was when it came out in 1963 when I saw it for the first time.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:32:02 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Citizen's arrest!

That episode has been in my head for over 40 years.

It's just as funny now as it was when it came out in 1963 when I saw it for the first time.
View Quote

It is a phrase that my wife and I often use, of course said in Gomer's voice.

That, along with: (Goober) Judy, Judy, Judy (Goober).

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:53:15 PM EDT
[#34]

Here's one I found in the pile of cards from my SK buy.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top