Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2015 11:19:17 AM EDT
Last week D-RAS03 posted this thread looking for an Antenna Adapter for his vest
Link

while snooping for parts to make him one, I found this:

link
for less than $30 on e-bay, made by an Amateur in CA.
of course I ordered one.  It arrived yesterday.

it shipped as shown.  it appears to be a Maxpedition 'strap' with bits of Velcro sewn on.  The SMA adapter was included?  I spec'd for a 90 bend at the antenna end, and it shipped with a straight-once I installed I'm glad it did.

Shown installed on a TAG Banshee Plate-less Carrier.  Mounted to the TAG is a hydration carrier (can't remember brand).  The Antenna and pigtail are weaved and velcro'd in place as shown.

Shown with the Wouxun 2m/6m HT whip

and worn by my eldest

pictured with BNC Scanner Antenna I had laying nearby

there's not a lot to it actually.  The Velcro seems to be sewn on well, and it mates up to the MOLLE really easily.  
I can imagine adding a few wire-ties for good measure.  
For about 1/2  the cost of the other option (safariland) I'd say it's a good buy.

sorry for the stinky pics-my phone really sucks indoors.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 11:24:36 AM EDT
[#1]
no interest, just passing the find
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 11:32:50 AM EDT
[#2]
looking at those pics I may actually remove from the Hyd Carrier and place directly on vest-to protect and get a little higher---maybe
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:43:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Hm... not bad.  I'll have to inspect the backpacks to see if one of mine has an area to attach it.  But I should probably get something better in the near future.

In the meantime... I have one of these...

...except in BNC.  Use a lightweight, thin antenna on the back of my hat.

Otherwise, I have this also...

...except I changed out the "hardline" they freakin' used with some flexable rg-58, and made it longer.  Then I cable-tied the coax to the mic cable, and stretched it a bit so that it was usable.  Works pretty well.

I sometimes laugh at non-hams that hold their frs radios backwards with the antenna next to their hand/wrist, and snicker at hams with the radio on their belt with the antenna buried in their flesh.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:23:34 PM EDT
[#4]
2 right-angle BNC connectors and you're good to go as well:

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 7:01:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
2 right-angle BNC connectors and you're good to go as well:

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2012/images/02/25/taliban/lg.12.jpg
View Quote

Dooood where were you last week?  You could'a saved me $30 (you forgot to mention the ponytail holder)

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 7:34:24 PM EDT
[#6]
The thing I don't like about the pc mounted antennas is that ties the radio to you. Not only physically but figuratively. You can't hand iff the radio, if you do you have to remove the antenna.

If you don't plan on handing off your radio your good to go and it is pretty convenient.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 2:19:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:17:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The thing I don't like about the pc mounted antennas is that ties the radio to you. Not only physically but figuratively. You can't hand iff the radio, if you do you have to remove the antenna.

If you don't plan on handing off your radio your good to go and it is pretty convenient.
View Quote

This^^^

Saw this many times with people in Afghanistan, the only people it made sense for to me were the dedicated commo guys who had two 152's and that cabled remote deal.

I just folded my tape whip up and used Velcro straps to keep it small unless I was dismounted and needed the extra range. It's easy to hand off the radio even with the external speaker off as most people had headsets to plug into it. If you had a antenna mounted on your kit your fucked.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:43:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't see myself passing off my personal comms from my PC personally

When I humped a radio I ran the data port to my dual PRR and hung the handset on the outside of the pack for LT to use - or handed off the whole pack.

But for what I'd use this for - just don't see it and I like the ability to operate a more intricate radio (like a HT) by looking down, not having to reach and take it off my back

personally at least
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:46:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes way easier to pull that radio out of the pouch or use a folding pouch when it's mounted on the side front of your kit to do what ever you got to do with it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:02:58 PM EDT
[#11]
The radio goes in a pouch on front left side of kit. Antenna connects with BNC on both ends. Pretty easy to breakdown if needed I'd think? Course I really wouldn't plan on ditching the ht?
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:05:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I want a relocation kit! I couldn't find another one on Ebay.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:07:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Did u try link in my OP? Or u want a different one? SafariLand makes the costlier alternative
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:12:58 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Did u try link in my OP? Or u want a different one? SafariLand makes the costlier alternative
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I like yours, but the seller doesn't have any more for sale.

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:34:56 PM EDT
[#15]
He prolly sold out due to my posting....email him. He was nice enough
He's a Ham K6KEN
fo!
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:45:10 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

He prolly sold out due to my posting....email him. He was nice enough

He's a Ham K6KEN

fo!
View Quote
I'm so foing.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:31:00 AM EDT
[#17]
My Public Safety Jedi series Moto speaker mics come to mind...
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:47:29 PM EDT
[#18]
I made one years ago when they first came out all it was was a right angle bnc to bnc. i didn't have to find anything special. just sewn some elastic to a pice of webbing that was looped around with a snap. for handing off radios all you do is disconnect it and have a spare antenna inside the pouch, unless your using a mil radio.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 7:02:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Finally got mine in today. That guy does some good work.  As for people asking about handing the radio off, the part of the kit that connects to the radio is a quick connect.  Take a few seconds to take it off.  OP thank you for finding this kit for me. It is exactly what I had in mind.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 7:26:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top