User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 9:55:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Actually they did but it was discontinued because it did not sell like hotcakes. Obviously not everyone likes hotcakes. I would love to find one in good shape and mount it on my Kawasaki KLR-650.

http://www.yaesu.com/airband/ProductImages/FTM-10R_thumb.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Great review

Thanks

My favorite cheap dual bander is a used FT-7800
I've bought a few for $200 shipped and they work well

Think I'll stick with that

If yaesu, icom, or kenmore would make a decent tiny dualbander, i think it would sell like hotcakes

Actually they did but it was discontinued because it did not sell like hotcakes. Obviously not everyone likes hotcakes. I would love to find one in good shape and mount it on my Kawasaki KLR-650.

Had this conversation with Podcast Guest Host Jeremy the other night....I'd buy one too!
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 12:03:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote

I remember those.

they had blue-tooth instead of a regular mic.

I also remember this one, the FT-90

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 11:36:39 AM EDT
[#3]
I bought a used FT-90 a few months ago for our family SUV. I needed something small and discreet that wouldn't get in the way when my wife drives, and it works great for that. I usually only transmit on medium power though because it gets pretty warm on high. Wish they still made them.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 10:10:45 PM EDT
[#4]
So I have one of these Jetstreams and am having a heck of a time with the programming software.  Well, I did get it to work eventually and programmed some local repeaters.

I went back to add some more frequencies and now the software cannot communicate with the radio.  I tried downloading CHIRP and that is also not able to communicate.  I'm ready to throw this thing out the window

The second time around, I did everything the same as before.  Confirmed the COM port numbers and whatnot.  Is there some option on the radio side that you need to select?

Link Posted: 2/4/2015 12:46:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So I have one of these Jetstreams and am having a heck of a time with the programming software.  Well, I did get it to work eventually and programmed some local repeaters.

I went back to add some more frequencies and now the software cannot communicate with the radio.  I tried downloading CHIRP and that is also not able to communicate.  I'm ready to throw this thing out the window

The second time around, I did everything the same as before.  Confirmed the COM port numbers and whatnot.  Is there some option on the radio side that you need to select?
View Quote

The only problem I had like that is when I unplugged the programming cable from the computer and plugged it back in, or rebooted.  Windows saw fit to change the comm port assigned to the USB port and I had to figure out what the new port number was.

I just tried mine in both memory mode and VFO mode and both worked fine.  I moved the USB connector to a different port on the computer and had to reset the comm port in the software.  I am using the software that came with the radio.

I've never tried CHIRP with the Jetstream.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 8:37:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Will be installing this in the Famliy Suburban tomorrow...Program before I get it out there...ANY TIPS?
QRV
SCW
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 8:43:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Will be installing this in the Famliy Suburban tomorrow...Program before I get it out there...ANY TIPS?
QRV
SCW
View Quote

It's a pretty straight forward radio, so you shouldn't have any trouble.  The latest version of CHIRP has support for it, but they missed a couple of columns, so I'd use the software that comes with the radio.  I haven't gotten around to putting mine on the Gold Wing . . . probably because it's still SNOWING here.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 8:47:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sorry, I haven't been paying attention to this thread as I should.  Are you running Windows Vista by any chance?  I've had LOTS of problems with Vista.  There's nothing on the radio that needs setting.  I have found that the software doesn't like it when you change USB ports on the computer.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:12:26 AM EDT
[#9]
only problem I had was trying to enter 0.0 as TX freq on local FD ch (it wouldn't take) made it something else benign.

one question?  Can you make it display the Name of the programmed freq...the "Alias" of the programmed freq instead of the CH number or Programmed Freq?

am I asking too much

worked good with my 1/4 wave on the front fender mount (2004 suburban aka Mobile-3)
Worked Great with my Diamond Super Gainer 7900 (borrowed from the Mobile-1)

eta: before you ask: I trimmed out the back and bottom of the pocket so it can breathe

mtcradio.com FTW
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:09:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
only problem I had was trying to enter 0.0 as TX freq on local FD ch (it wouldn't take) made it something else benign.

one question?  Can you make it display the Name of the programmed freq...the "Alias" of the programmed freq instead of the CH number or Programmed Freq?

am I asking too much

worked good with my 1/4 wave on the front fender mount (2004 suburban aka Mobile-3)
Worked Great with my Diamond Super Gainer 7900 (borrowed from the Mobile-1)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/p180x540/18689_1582651702019079_595132096453764243_n.jpg?oh=7a580f13db68508231fee318f7f1800f&oe=55B3BB78&__gda__=1433576757_7dbd365ee1a33a39ec512fb53727c2a6

eta: before you ask: I trimmed out the back and bottom of the pocket so it can breathe

mtcradio.com FTW
View Quote

To show the alias name instead of the freq & channel, go to the Optional Features Page and check the "Alias Enable" box.

There's no way, that I know of, to turn off the transmit on out-of-band frequencies.  I set the transmit frequency to a simplex frequency and the power to low.  At least the people I annoy will be friends.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top