Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/20/2014 3:14:36 PM EDT
Got an Icom 7200 with LDG IT-100 Autotuner.  Now all I need is to get in to take the next general upgrade test.

Obligatory pic:

Wait that doesn't look right.  Ahh, this looks much better now.  Almost had an ARFCOM equipment violation there.

[
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 3:45:37 PM EDT
[#1]
A true ARFCOMer would have tuned to 14.313 for the pic.

Nice rig.  I love mine.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:45:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Very nice!!  Great choices for gear with the tactical handle enhancement.  What is your current antenna?
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:49:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Congrats!  
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 5:45:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Congrats! Do you have an antenna for 10m? If not make one and see if you can get on the air before your upgrade!
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 6:54:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice power supply, also. I have two of them
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 7:06:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Wait that doesn't look right. Ahh, this looks much better now. Almost had an ARFCOM equipment violation there.
View Quote

I was going to say that... beat me to it!   Yeah, the tactical handles / brush guards are a necessity.

Congrats!  

Is the power supply in the background the deluxe model from Powerwerx?

You may want to do this:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_22/667082_.html

You may operate now as a Tech via Upper Side Band (phone)from 28.300 mhz to 28.500 mhz.  You may also operate
CW from 28.000 mhz to 28.300 mhz.

And make a 10 m dipole like this.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_22/677525_.html

But cut the wire legs for 28.400 mhz.  That would be 16.5' overall end to end or 8' 3" on each side of the center insulator.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 7:32:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Very nice!!  Great choices for gear with the tactical handle enhancement.  What is your current antenna?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Going to try cobbling together a basic 10 meter dipole.  Got 100 feet of 8x for temporary feed line and field use.  Will put it up on a painter's pole on one of the PA speaker stands MTC had on sale.  Next test date is Jan 3 then hopefully I'll be /AG.  Also have a new callsign in the works.

I'll have a second hand G5RV coming to me on Tuesday.   I have a feeling it'll be a bit big for my lot and will have to get somewhat creative with running the wire for it.  Might have to borrow one of the neighbor's tree limbs coming over my wall.   Though from what I gather I need to wait for inclimate weather.

Quoted:

Yup. Although I was disappointed it didn't have Powerpoles on it, just binding posts.  No matter, some wire and ring terminals and I can crimp on my own Powerpoles.

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 8:37:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice !  Good luck on your general upgrade test.  Have fun.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:55:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yup. Although I was disappointed it didn't have Powerpoles on it, just binding posts.  No matter, some wire and ring terminals and I can crimp on my own Powerpoles.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I've done the same, a pigtail made of 10 ga red/black zip cord, and ring terminals one end, Powerpoles on the other.  I've got those on
the Astron supplies at the club station as well as my Samlex supplies at home and my portable kit.  Easy enough to do.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:30:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Nice choice. Put up a 10 Meter dipole and get the feel of it.

What kind of antenna are you planning on putting up once you get your General? If you can run open wire feeder into the house without coming near metal, put a balun on the output of the tuner and go to the antenna with it. You can operate just about any frequency above the antenna's resonant point with it.

The upper bands can be fantastic when the propagation gods are happy. I worked a guy on 15 in central Florida from here in Northeast Tennessee who was running 1 watt into an 8 foot whip. His signal strength was bouncing between S6 and S9. The Solar Flux was just above 200.

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:41:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You may operate now as a Tech via Upper Side Band (phone)from 28.300 mhz to 28.500 mhz.  You may also operate
CW from 28.000 mhz to 28.300 mhz.
View Quote
Techs may also operate on the digital modes from 28.000 to 28.300. Just observe the band plan. Google the operating freqs for the particular mode you want to play with. PSK on 28.120, JT65 on 28.076, etc.

Oh, and congrats.

ETA: Depending on your QTH you may want to add a 6m antenna. The east coast has frequent Es openings. Sitting in my attic now is this.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top