Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2014 1:57:40 PM EDT
I am by no means a contester. The only thing I get serious about is the 13 Colonies thing around Independence Day, but that's not a contest, just a scavenger hunt. However today, after I accidentally bagged the ARRL prez for a QSO, curiosity was killing the proverbial cat. So I found the Leaderboard website and took a peak.

I'm ranked 13775, 1224 points with 142 QSOs

And, holy crap, the leader has 238882 points with 23742 QSOs

That's dedication. No, hell, that's psycho OCD. I can't even imagine it. All I did was answer the occasional W1AW station just for kicks!

BTW you have to be uploading to LOTW for the Leaderboard to work.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:37:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Sometimes the points, are just a byproduct of something else.  A lot of those at the top of the list are contest stations (or individuals who participate in contests), and that is how they manage to rack up so many QSOs. Others (like the current leader) are worth a lot of points, so everyone wants to contact them.  I've probably contacted him a half dozen times, myself.  And still others, are DX stations who are of course popular.  Since I'm only worth one point, I'm not a high valued target.

Back during the first half of the year, Hog Sniper and I were neck and neck in the points standings.  Every time I checked the Leader Board, we were within a few points of each other.  But, he is a QSO machine, and makes many, many more contacts than I do, especially on the digital modes.  So it was inevitable that he would pull away from me, and disappear far off into the lead.  I bet he has 15000 points, or more, by now.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 3:50:45 PM EDT
[#2]
If you sort by the number of contacts, the top three are DXpeditions!
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:25:08 PM EDT
[#3]

Huh, ranked 9460 with 2526 points and 391 QSOs.

I don't feel like I have been particularly active this year.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:48:02 PM EDT
[#4]
There are a bunch of high point stations on various bands right now, if anyone is interested. I just made several contacts, but my favorite was W1AW/KH6, on 10m CW, with  the K2 and 15 watts.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 6:26:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I found them, but had to give up and go see Santa.

I may get on again tonight.

Using the G5RV only is definitely motivating to get the tower up.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:43:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I started out trying to work each station on every band and mode that I could. Then summer came along and I was hardly operated

This was a great way to get 5BWAS but I let myself down.  

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 9:01:35 AM EDT
[#7]
I have 7,045 points.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 9:53:39 AM EDT
[#8]
I really thought this was a great idea and I really had fun with it. But, like I said, when summer rolled around, I got sidetracked and totally fell off the grid.

I wasn't using this to see how high I could score in the Leaderboard, but would have been a great way to accumulate WAS contacts.
I have been a ham for a long time (since 1979 when I was in high school) and up until maybe 4-5 years ago, I never applied for any ham radio award. I decided that in order for ME to consider MYSELF a "real" ham, I wanted to at least be able to honestly say that I had WAS and DXCC. Again, this was for my own personal satisfaction: not to impress other people (which it doesn't do), As I noted in another thread, ham radio is a personal thing, it isn't a spectator sport. So anyway, I had always told myself that I probably had WAS, I had just never bothered to compile the data. I knew I was a long way from DXCC because I had never really tried hard to work DX and when I did, I almost never tried to confirm it. But, when I actually started counting cards, I found out that I didn't have WAS or DXCC and wasn't even particularly close to either one.

So I decided in the coming year to work on getting both. And I almost instantly got caught up in it and I really enjoyed it. Different things motivate different people. I realized long ago that I was goal oriented. When I set a goal and then started working towards it, I was much more enthused with operating ham radio. I got WAS, but then I realized this was only the tip of the iceberg. I could get WAS for individual bands and individual modes. So I started working on that. If I already had WAS on 40 meters CW, and I was working on 15 meters WAS CW and 15 meters was dead; no problem, I could start working on 40 meters WAS Digital or something. There was always something else to work on.

So anyway, this ARRL Centennial thing was right up my alley and I feel bad that I squandered the opportunity to really capitialize on it.

Right now I have: Rank: 10090    Points:2296  QSOs 319
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:16:34 AM EDT
[#9]
You know, I haven't been an awards chaser, either. To me the hobby is about the equipment and how it performs. It doesn't take a ton of QSOs to do that. But I do upload to LOTW, and I do use DXKeeper for logging, so I just took a peak at the "progress report" that DXKeeper can generate. I have 37 states confirmed in LOTW. Hmmmm...that's just about enough to make me work a little harder to get a basic WAS, although I don't think I'm going to get on any of those "award" nets, but you never can tell!
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:21:23 AM EDT
[#10]
I have had a fun time with the centennial party as well. I'm not really a contester or award chaser either. I managed to get W1AW WAS (I think anyway. 3 stations still need to upload) and it has really helped me toward triple play with only 4 more slots to fill. Most of the time it has been enjoyable with decent operators.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 11:01:24 AM EDT
[#11]
There is 189,000 participants listed.  I am shooting for the bottom.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 11:09:59 AM EDT
[#12]
I enjoyed it as well.   Spent time most Tuesday evenings the first half of the year trying to get all of the W1AW/p stations.

I'm around 7750 points with 530ish qso's.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 11:56:10 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm at 12083 points, with 838 QSOs. I got a lot of that earlier this year, when chasing the Triple Play award.

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 12:10:48 PM EDT
[#14]
FWIW: I gave out about eight QSOs from W1AW HQ on 30 meters CW during the ARRL Centenial Convention this summer.  
During the tours we were only allowed to operate for 15 minutes. It takes almost that much time to be spotted. So I sat there calling CQ for 10 minutes and then worked the 8 Qs in the last five.

Another FWIW: I visited ARRL HQ a few years ago and operated 20 SSB and worked over 90 people in an hour. It was a lot of fun to be on the receiving end of a pileup. It was also a kick to be using a six element monobander up on a really big tower and an Alpha amp running legal limit. That always helps.

I wonder how close we could come to having a AR15.com WAS award ?  In other words, you work an AR15.com member in all states.
I am sorta new to the ham radio forum here so I have no idea how many states are represented, but it might be fun to consider.
If we don't have an active ham/member in a given state, this would be a good excuse to go portable; and it sounds like a lot of guys on here like to operate portable.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 12:11:34 PM EDT
[#15]
45 points shy and I'll be tied up through this weekend.  ARF 20m QSO party next week!
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 7:58:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm at 12083 points, with 838 QSOs. I got a lot of that earlier this year, when chasing the Triple Play award.

View Quote

Dang Kekoa!
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 6:57:28 PM EDT
[#17]
I went crazy over the last two days, and  now have more than 15000 points.

I guess I need to get a life.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 7:09:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
There is 189,000 participants listed.  I am shooting for the bottom.  
View Quote

Damn it... how in the hell did I jump up to 56 points.  I guess a few people finally uploaded to LOTW.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 3:25:43 PM EDT
[#19]

They were everywhere last night/this morning.

I stayed up waaaay too late.  But it was fun bagging some of the CW stations, sending is doing pretty good, still can't run barefoot/brain-only decode in contests though.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 3:52:56 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm ranked 12942 with 1498 points and 375 QSOs.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 3:55:34 PM EDT
[#21]
I have been having fun as well.  I could care less about the competing part but I have racked up a few more for my WAS award if they ever confirm.  I figure these guys are competing so they will confirm unlike some other people.  

I have a stack of QSL cards to go in the mail box today from it.  

Link Posted: 12/30/2014 4:25:06 PM EDT
[#22]
8294 place with 3313 points and 234 QSOs

Haven't really tried much until here of late.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 4:39:17 PM EDT
[#23]
I just can't work them all.

About a week and a half ago, I decided to shoot for the top level award (15000 points) in the ARRL Centennial Points Challenge. I needed another 3000 points, but wasn't sure I could get them in 10 days.  Was I ever wrong.  There are so many high point stations on the air right now, that I can't work them all.

I worked the ARRL president for the third time last night, and because of the different band/mode combinations, I've worked some stations a dozen times or more. They are everywhere.  Once the system gets all caught up, I'm pretty sure I'm pushing 18000 points.

I tried, but I just can't work them all.  I just can't. It's making me nuts.

I need to take a break.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 5:20:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I just can't work them all.

About a week and a half ago, I decided to shoot for the top level award (15000 points) in the ARRL Centennial Points Challenge. I needed another 3000 points, but wasn't sure I could get them in 10 days.  Was I ever wrong.  There are so many high point stations on the air right now, that I can't work them all.

I worked the ARRL president for the third time last night, and because of the different band/mode combinations, I've worked some stations a dozen times or more. They are everywhere.  Once the system gets all caught up, I'm pretty sure I'm pushing 18000 points.

I tried, but I just can't work them all.  I just can't. It's making me nuts.

I need to take a break.
View Quote

I was way down in the pile and picked up over 3000 points in the past week.

I am at 8433 points as of today and thats is with the Leader Board being behind and not showing all of the points I have worked.

I bet I have picked up another 1000 points just this afternoon
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top