Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/20/2014 12:03:50 AM EDT
Got an Alinco DX-SR8T, power supply, tuner and a Buddistick for Christmas (whole family gets together and does Christmas the weekend before Christmas). Nothing super fancy, but it's perfect for me to learn the in's and out's of HF and get good at it before I get into a more expensive station.

Will be on the air by next week so.

Gotta give a shout out to my old man. I know he lurks here. He surprised me at our family Christmas celebration over the weekend with a HF tranciever an powersupply and a list of stuff that is being delivered to my QTH.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:05:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:22:29 AM EDT
[#2]
You may want to remove your call from your post
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:13:59 AM EDT
[#3]
That is really good news, I am sure your going to have a lot of fun.  There are some really good dxpeditions coming up on frequency next month.  I will see you in the pileups.  Congradulations.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:15:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Find yourself a mountain top and setup for the day!
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:19:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Good deal!  Hope to work you someday.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:56:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Congrats on your new HF rig!
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 3:07:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Congrats! Let's have a QSO.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 7:56:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah. Let me know when you are up and running.

Some of the guys here will tell you I'll work like a dog to get a QSO from an Arfcommer.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 8:33:43 AM EDT
[#9]
congrats OP!  Now it's Fo Time!
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 8:55:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:26:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Welcome to the madness.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:51:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Congratulations! Post some pictures when you get a chance…We always like to se pictures!!!

Keep a close eye on your wallet !
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:11:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Congrats OP... If I could make a suggestion its to try to get a better antenna than the Buddistick. That is going to be your main limitation with that setup. I'd look into any sort of wire antenna as your next step.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:34:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Congrats to the OP!!!

Hope to see you on the air.  Send me an IM when you get up and running, we'll try a QSO.

Jup
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:35:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Some of the guys here will tell you I'll work like a dog to get a QSO from an Arfcommer.[img]http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/icon_smile_big.gif[/img]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some of the guys here will tell you I'll work like a dog to get a QSO from an Arfcommer.[img]http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/icon_smile_big.gif[/img]

True dat.

Congrats, OP, I look forward to seeing you on the air.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:50:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Congrats OP... If I could make a suggestion its to try to get a better antenna than the Buddistick. That is going to be your main limitation with that setup. I'd look into any sort of wire antenna as your next step.
View Quote

As soon as I can get some from the local ham club over to see my limitations with property and the damned HOA, I plan on getting a better antenna setup.

I am using the buddistick just to get on the air until i can design a better antenna with the local ham operators
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:50:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

As soon as I can get some from the local ham club over to see my limitations with property and the damned HOA, I plan on getting a better antenna setup.

I am using the buddistick just to get on the air until i can design a better antenna with the local ham operators
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Half the fun is designing and installing an antenna that "sticks" it to the menacing HOA's and their power crazy officers! So many options…keep us posted!
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:49:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Outstanding!  
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 5:06:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Congrats.  HF is a blast!  
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 7:15:38 PM EDT
[#20]
That's a pretty sweet package for a new HF operator for christmas.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 12:13:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
That's a pretty sweet package for a new HF operator for christmas.
View Quote

Thanks, I am excited to get on the HF bands. Gonna use the buddistick until I can come up with a really good solution to get by the HOA restrictions
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 12:35:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Some one say theres a new ArFham to work?
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:16:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Buddistick is a very good antenna.
Depending on what band you are on, it may be a full sized antenna. As it comes out of the box, from what I just read on their website, it is going to be loaded on almost all the bands, but this isn't a real big deal. If you elevate it and put out some tuned radials, it will work well. It will be better than a mobile whip if nothing else because you will have full sized, tuned radials.

The thing I like about Buddipole antennas is that by adding to the stuff you already have (adding more parts) you can make it into all kinds of different antennas. The Buddipole antennas are widely misunderstood, they are NOT some kind of gimmick: you are building antennas straight out of the ARRL antenna handbook. You can get these parts in different ways: you can buy them from Buddipole, you can homebrew them, and you can add stuff like wire to them.
I have owned a Buddipole for years and have had a lot of fun with it.

I have lived in a place with an HOA and it did make ham radio difficult. I think the Buddistick is one good solution to the problem.

I look forward to hearing you on the air. Congrats on the new station.

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 12:38:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Depending on what band you are on, it may be a full sized antenna. As it comes out of the box, from what I just read on their website, it is going to be loaded on almost all the bands, but this isn't a real big deal. If you elevate it and put out some tuned radials, it will work well. It will be better than a mobile whip if nothing else because you will have full sized, tuned radials.

The thing I like about Buddipole antennas is that by adding to the stuff you already have (adding more parts) you can make it into all kinds of different antennas. The Buddipole antennas are widely misunderstood, they are NOT some kind of gimmick: you are building antennas straight out of the ARRL antenna handbook. You can get these parts in different ways: you can buy them from Buddipole, you can homebrew them, and you can add stuff like wire to them.

I have lived in a place with an HOA and it did make ham radio difficult. I think the Buddistick is one good solution to the problem.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Once I get everything and get it figured out (waiting on a autotuner and better tripod) I'll send some IM's and we can try to QSO

Gotta give a shout out to my old man. He suprised me at our family Christmas celebration over the weekend with a HF tranciever and powersupply and a list of stuff that is being delivered to my QTH.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 12:44:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Congratulations on the rig!

Its what I run:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_22/672363_Alinco_DX_SR8T_review_.html

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 1:05:00 PM EDT
[#26]
What are the details of your home? Do you have access to an attic with a non-metallic roof? If so, you can get out surprisingly well with a fan dipole or a ladder-line fed doublet.

One of the biggest enhancements is something you do yourself -- learn CW. I work a lot of stations running 25-50 Watts into attic mounted arrays.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 1:21:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
What are the details of your home? Do you have access to an attic with a non-metallic roof? If so, you can get out surprisingly well with a fan dipole or a ladder-line fed doublet.

One of the biggest enhancements is something you do yourself -- learn CW. I work a lot of stations running 25-50 Watts into attic mounted arrays.
View Quote

I am working on that, my biggest issue is that my furnace sits right in the center of the attic.

Once the antenna tuner gets here, i'll be ready to go. That is all I am waiting on.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top