Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2014 12:56:52 AM EDT
When I first noticed the Baofeng  radios started making an appearance on the US market, I thought little of them. I already had an FT-897d and a VX6R. But, for only a few bucks I could buy a uv3r so I did. I hated it. Cheap little piece of junk. I gave it away and bought an FT-60r.  Love it.  Well, it has been a few years and my Elmer has been wanting a Baofeng to play with. So, we talked each other into trying a recent iteration. As such, I purchased us a pair of GT-3 Mark IIs. Wow! They've come a long way! They still are not my Yaesu's, but they aren't the junk that was the UV3R either. Chirp makes it a joy to program and I heard a repeater tonight on it that I've not been able to hear with my Yaesu HTs.

I'm impressed. Thinking about buying a few more for the vehicles and home.

Not bad Baofeng.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:40:44 AM EDT
[#1]
I've got a long thread on programming the UV-5R and other tips here:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_22/664274_Baofeng_UV_5R_information.html
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:02:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah I've got one I keep in my car. SWEET radio, especially for what I paid. I was happy to pay $50, now to see them for $24 on sale!!!!! Unreal.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:52:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Recently bought the A52, I like the form factor over the 5R...and the 3r+ that I have-so far, so good
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:50:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm actually liking it a lot. My only regret is not getting one that will accept a battery eliminator. And, I'm scratching my head with regards to the cigarette lighter charger. It isnt like there is room for the desktop charging station in the standard cup holder. They should have setup a secondary charging port. Silly stupid design.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:49:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm actually liking it a lot. My only regret is not getting one that will accept a battery eliminator. And, I'm scratching my head with regards to the cigarette lighter charger. It isnt like there is room for the desktop charging station in the standard cup holder. They should have setup a secondary charging port. Silly stupid design.
View Quote

Do cupholders come standard in China? (The answer to that question may be the reason why you seem to be scratching your head)

I have a UV5R+…I've had it for 3 years and have charged it thrice. Chirp makes them bearable to program. Chirp isn't the easiest to deal with programming software though as it was written by hams for hams.

For $30 radios, the Baofengs aren't bad little radios to keep around as spares.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:08:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Well, that's my point. Why provide a method of charging that isn't practical? Where are they going to put the charger? Silly stupid.

I've heard a lot of whining about programming these things. Five minutes with the manual and no problem. Easier to program these little things than my Yaesus.

And Chirp isn't a problem. Simple and straight forward.

I purchased mine to keep at work. If it gets stolen, no big loss. But, reception is quite good. I'm truly impressed with it. My first one was the uv3r, not impressive. But the gt3 is good.

Now I'm considering a wouxun kg-uv8d to play with.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:23:22 AM EDT
[#7]
So will RT Systems programming cables work with Chirp?? I have 2 of the RT cables for Kenwood and Wuauxen radios that should work with the GT-3 then try Chirp. Any thoughts on this?
Sarge
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:50:32 AM EDT
[#8]
I have used my rt systems cables with chirp on my ft-60r. No problems.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:46:53 AM EDT
[#9]
also just received 2 UV2D Wouxun's. that makes 4  The 8D looks promising but don't know that I need any Moar HTs
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:59:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
also just received 2 UV2D Wouxun's. that makes 4  The 8D looks promising but don't know that I need any Moar HTs
View Quote

I'm up to my neck in /\/\ HT's…I don't need any more for now. lol
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:04:02 PM EDT
[#11]
HT's are like rabbits. Look away for a second and another one shows up.
I'm fighting the urge hard not to pull the trigger on a gently used Icom IC-91AD.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:20:42 PM EDT
[#12]
I keep a baofeng in my EDC bag, my car, my house, my office, and there's a fully programmed one with a battery charger in my wife's car.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:45:50 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a couple of the UV82's...nice little radios.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:30:23 PM EDT
[#14]
2 UV5Rs, 2 UV-82s, 1 GT-3.  PLEASE don't tell me there's another one I just have to have!

I really like these radios.  As others have said, they're the Bic pens of HTs.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 6:36:43 PM EDT
[#15]
They are addictive little things. I have three and want a dozen more. Don't ask me why. It is a sickness.  Looking at a Wouxun, a uv82, a uvb5, would like to play with an Icom and a Kenwood.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 6:48:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
They are addictive little things. I have three and want a dozen more. Don't ask me why. It is a sickness.  Looking at a Wouxun, a uv82, a uvb5, would like to play with an Icom and a Kenwood.
View Quote

A mental image of a couple of candy bowls full of HTs, decorated for Christmas came to mind.  I don't know why.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 7:11:26 PM EDT
[#17]
This IS turning into a sickness :-) OK how about some more review of the GT-3. Interesting little radio. Now I'm really going to spike the eggnog! Anyone have/seen/tried one of these: BaoFeng BF-F8HP? This one is a bit different in that it has THREE (3) yes three output levels, 1w, 4w and 8W...yes 8W at least that's what the propaganda says.
Now that could be REAL interesting - a little more money than most of the others at around $70 (YMMV) but IF in fact it DOES do 8W might be worth it?
What say you'all?
Sarge
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 8:30:10 PM EDT
[#18]
I recently bought an A52 (5R in a new dress) I like the form better than the 5R.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 11:21:11 AM EDT
[#19]
After I dropped a VX-6r off a 160' tower & stove it all to hell all I take aloft is a cheap talkie
Sure the wouxun is a piece of shit but I won't cry if I drop the SOB..
It aint much but it beats the hell outa yelling back & forth..
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 12:38:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Do cupholders come standard in China? (The answer to that question may be the reason why you seem to be scratching your head)
View Quote

Cup holders only seem to come standard in the US. Most other countries it's either an option, or not available on everything but the upper-tier trim levels.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 2:16:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Cup holders only seem to come standard in the US. Most other countries it's either an option, or not available on everything but the upper-tier trim levels.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You all are missing the point of my cup holder comment. You have to have the desktop dock to use the lighter charger. The radio is very unstable in the desktop unit. A cup holder big enough could work until you hita bump and it wiggles the radio and it comes loose from desktop unit. As such, the lighter charger is worthless.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 2:43:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
So will RT Systems programming cables work with Chirp?? I have 2 of the RT cables for Kenwood and Wuauxen radios that should work with the GT-3 then try Chirp. Any thoughts on this?
Sarge
View Quote

The two pin Kenwood type cables work fine with CHIRP and the UV-5R.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 10:15:16 PM EDT
[#23]
I received a Baofeng UV-5RA for Christmas.  Once my children settled down I attempted to program the radio with the CD that came with the data cable without luck.  I found CHIRIP and after downloading some drivers I was able to program NOAA and local repeaters.  I have been listening to traffic on the 2-meter repeater.

I have the practice tests, looks like it is time to get a license.

Link Posted: 12/26/2014 6:36:26 PM EDT
[#24]
OK folks got a "little" money for Christmas and thinking of picking up one of these little radios - don't know why I have a Kenwood F-6 and a K20 but you can never have to many radios! Looking on eHam the best ratings go to the Baofeng UV82. So from practical  hands on experience who likes what and why! Pros and Cons for any of the models!
THANKS ALL
Sarge
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top