Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/28/2014 4:49:58 PM EDT
The Delware Ham Radio Outlet is only about an hour from my QTH. I drove down there today and this came home with me. I also picked up the Nifty guide for it and the ADMS programming software and cable. I also got the DTMF mic in case I need it for 2M/70cm work.

I haven't yet made a QSO with it, but I connected it to the Ultimax-100 on my roof and have been listening to half a QSO between a guy in Ontario, Canada and someone else on 15M.

The FT-817ND is TINY. The SAK sitting on top of it is 3.5" long.

I went with the Z-817H vs. Z-817 tuner since this one will handle up to 50W, in case I buy an amp down the line.

I copied the programming from my IC-7200 into it, along with the 2M and 70cm repeaters within 50 miles, as downloaded from Repeaterbook.com.

My primary use for it will be on day hikes or when camping, but I might take it out back in nice weather.

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 5:57:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice!
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 7:00:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks. Anyway, does anyone know if it's ok to run from an external DC power source while their are alkaline AAs in the internal battery compartment? The manual isn't clear on this.

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 8:32:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Very nice.  I'm so sad happy that there's a no HRO near me.  

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 8:39:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Congrats, Dave_Markowitz!  Those are cool little radios!  
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 8:44:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't know about the batteries, but I want an 817.  I think I'm going to take my FT-101EE setup to the hamfest next week and sell it to fund an 817.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 8:45:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Nearest HRO is about 8 hours+ from me. Probably a good thing.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 8:56:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Congratulations it is a real neat rig.
The first time I'd seen one used was on a frozen lake in northern MN with a AlexLoop antenna.  The guy using it was talking to a guy walking on a beach in FL using the same radio and antenna. It was a real eye opener.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:35:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks. Anyway, does anyone know if it's ok to run from an external DC power source while their are alkaline AAs in the internal battery compartment? The manual isn't clear on this.  
View Quote

Congrats! They are great little radios as long as you realize the limitations of a 5W QRP radio. I bought one earlier this year an have been very happy with it. An optional 300Hz CW filter makes it a pure joy to operate.
It's ok to run an external power with the batteries installed. The charger supplied with the radio is only designed to charge the batteries. I bought an optional MFJ 3A PS to run the radio from a 120-240VAC source. It can charge the batteries at the same time. You need to enable battery charge cycle (6 or 8 hours selectable) from the shortcut menu.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 3:14:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 9:16:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted: ...this came home with me.

View Quote

I have to hate you a little bit for that.   Its a great little radio and I am on the hunt for one, preferably second hand.

I'm looking for all of the above plus throw in the suitcase when I'm traveling, maybe rock some digital modes on a 'droid or something.

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:47:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Sounds like the same setup as I am using--- the 817nd with the Z817 tuner for QRP and outdoor ops. the only drawback is the internal battery life. I built an supplimental power supply out of gel cells and a plastic ammo can to keep it charged while camping. I fabricated interface cables so I could run digital modes off my toughbook or droid psk the 5w becomes less of a handicap on digital.
Very capable but complicated little rig I am still working out all the menus and extended menus,settings.

It is nice to have all the bands available becuase I have several 6m as well as some nice wide coverage VHF repeaters I can hit from trails and camping areas all over western PA.

You will have fun with it. IM me if you have any questions.

Link Posted: 11/30/2014 12:10:56 AM EDT
[#12]
I've been through quite a few different radios and I keep coming back to the FT-817. Aside from an HT it's my only radio and I really enjoy it. No, you wont be busting pile-ups with it, but you'll be surprised what you can do with 5 watts, a good antenna, and a little patience. If you operate portable much an external battery is essential. I use a 5ah LiPo RC battery from HobbyKing. Will last the better part of a day with light use. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__16768__ZIPPY_Flightmax_5000mAh_3S1P_20C_hardcase_pack_USA_Warehouse_.html
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 11:48:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks again, guys.

SimpleScout, can you recommend a compatible charger for that battery? I have zero experience with those kinds of batteries and would not want to toast it.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 1:07:54 PM EDT
[#14]
This is the one I use:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__63446__Turnigy_E3_Compact_2S_3S_Lipo_Charger_100_240v_US_Plug_US_Warehouse_.html

It's slow, and not fancy, but for the price I really don't care. The main reason I bought this one is it's all self contained and doesn't require an external power supply like many of them do. For my applications I would rather just have a couple spare batteries on hand than try to keep up by fast charging. YMMV...
While the battery is hooked up to the radio I use a low voltage alarm to ensure I don't over-discharge the battery. Here's what I use:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__34120__Hobbyking_2_8S_Cell_Checker_with_Low_Voltage_Alarm_US_Warehouse_.html

It weighs next to nothing and is very small. The internal piezo alarm is super loud so I popped open the case and ripped out the diaphragm. You can still hear the alarm but it's much, much quieter.
BTW, there are less expensive LiPo's available that come without the hard case, but I typically have my radio gear thrown in my backpack and just like the extra insurance of the hard case. If you're just going to your local park and not handling the batteries rough, the regular packaging would probably be just fine.

I also cut off the bullet connectors and put on Anderson PowerPoles, as all my radio gear is wired for those.

Here's one of the less expensive battiers for example ($22):

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=8587

Link Posted: 11/30/2014 1:17:42 PM EDT
[#15]
I have made thousands of contacts on an 817.

One of the great radios of all time.

The limitations of a 5 watt QRP radio are very few. Power is VASTLY over-rated.

If anybody wants one, let me know. I haven't used mine for probably two years. With accessories.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 1:46:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks again. I ordered one of those hardcase batteries, a charger, and that tester.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 2:38:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Most here know of my successes with the Elecraft KX3 and QRP ops from Afghanistan, but I would pick up an 817 in a heartbeat if I found a good deal on one. They're no slouch and I like the VHF/UHF capability. It would make a great radio for the truck or camper.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 2:43:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Another little tip is to write the purchase date, fully charged and discharged voltages on the battery with Sharpie. I can never remember that stuff...
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 2:45:04 PM EDT
[#19]
the DE store is JUST far enough that I don't drive down on a whim...

thankfully...

nice score!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top