Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/28/2014 11:24:59 AM EDT
Already getting antsy waiting for the UPS man ...

I took a look at the ladder fed big loop (550') last night with an eye toward direct use with the TS-590s via the internal tuner.  Currently the ladder terminates at the MFJ 941D "versa-tuner", so I was looking at current balun alternatives.  I did not like the over-all look of the SWR curves with the 1:1 & 4:1, but might have a winner in the triple core 9:1 current balun.    Worst case SWR values stay under 5:1, so if the comments about the TS-590s internal ATU are based in truth,  there is a chance it might be able to deal with everything the loop would present (will find out middle of next week...).

The following screen shots are loop -> ladder line -> 9:1 CB -> 2' coax -> analyzer
Pretty much the general class band privileges areas ...

160m  

80m  

60m  

40m  

20m  

17m  

15m  

12m  

10m  

6m  

Nick

ETA:  reloaders may recognize the housing ....

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:42:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been 'putting up' a loop for 3 years now....maybe this winter

I have this Balun
Unlike me, it's said to be 'talented'
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:22:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I am reading about this, interesting. It sounds like the loop does not have to be a circle, it can be square, triangle, etc.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 3:21:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep, most any shape can work. Rule of thumb is to try to maximize the enclosed space.  My full wave 160m (actually 550')  has 8 suspension points in a roughly oval layout. The full wave 80m (actually 294') has 3 &  could be called a horizontal delta.  

This is the 4:1 dual core current balun on the 80m loop

I have had better luck with loops than dipoles...

Nick
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 4:34:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, maximize square footage inside, which would be a circle.   A square or close to it probably wouldn't make that much difference.

And I have always heard that 9:1 was a good balun choice for using a loop on all bands, so there ya go.    The few reviews on that "talented balun" loop sure like it though.

There is not much for trees where I live.   I had originally envisioned buying a place out of town and planting 4 poles specifically for a loop, but that hasn't happened.   I did finally get out of town but I'm still renting and I don't want to make that kind of investment at a rental, plus I still have a house in Oregon to maintain.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 4:04:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Delivery date got moved up.  Brown Santa comes tomorrow (Monday)...

Will find out then if the big loop is good to go via internal tuner or not.  Need to revisit characteristics of 80m full wave (294' actual) horizontal delta as well.

Nick
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 4:27:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

You lucky dog!  Mine is still set for Tuesday.  Middle of the night update - due today!
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 5:03:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Will find out then if the big loop is good to go via internal tuner or not.  Need to revisit characteristics of 80m full wave (294' actual) horizontal delta as well.

Nick
View Quote

Loops are actually pretty consistent impedance wise up through the HF bands. I have always fed mine with ladder line and used a tuner/ balun combination to feed it. A coax run will do if the impedance isn't too high.
Rob
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 8:41:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Package arrived!

Still need to go through all settings, but got power & PC connections made, ANT 1 has the big loop via 9:1 current balun, ANT 2 is connected to the MFJ 941 Versatuner II (using it as a coax switch for small loop & horizontal MFJ 1796 via "direct" connections).

Spun the dial some & tuned at a few spots, getting < = 1.5:1 most times.  < 2:1 for spots I looked at on 160m.   Checked in to a local (NC) net on 80m (SWR looked to be below 1.5::1) getting a 59+30 report.  

Happy camper....

Back to the basement for further education.   Unboxing pics, etc. to follow via edit or new post.

Nick
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 9:09:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Glad you like it, Nick!  Mine is working well too.  Basic operations are easy right of the box but I still have a lot to learn.  Only power and antenna connected here and I've just been A-B RX comparing it with my Flex, no TX yet.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 9:51:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Firmware was 1.07, just finished update to 1.08 ...

ETA:  just made my first 160m contact.   K1MAA in CT

Nick
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 9:16:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Ok, been through most band areas spot checking tunability of the 160m & 80m full wave loops by the 590s internal tuner.  The only problematic areas found so far were some portions of 6m, and ony a subset of those were non-tunable by the internal atu on both loops at the same time. All 6m problem areas on the loops tuned ok on the horizontal MFJ-1796.

The 160m connects to the 590s via a 2' coax jumper to a 9:1 triple core current balun, the 80m via about 30' of coax to a 4:1 dual core current balun. Both use 4" ladder line (home brew from 14 awg THHN) from balun to feed point

Nick
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 9:21:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Firmware was 1.07, just finished update to 1.08 ...

http://www.skhowell.com/images/590-108update.jpg

ETA:  just made my first 160m contact.   K1MAA in CT

Nick
View Quote

Be careful, 160m is addictive.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 9:55:53 AM EDT
[#13]
The difference between operating on the FT-707 & the TS-590S is guite literally night and day in terms of RX.  I have no idea yet what my TX sounds like but the RX straight out of the box was an eye opener for me.  So much cleaner and more stable and that is without using any additional filtering!

Nick
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 9:58:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Peel the plastic off of the front of your transceiver!

(Yes, this is an OCD thing of mine..... All plastic sheeting/stickers/etc must me removed or picked at.)

And congrats on the loop and the 160 M contact.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 10:33:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's off!    I left it on while doing the initial checks & updates.  I like to be able to send something back "as delivered" if it is DOA or seriously defective.

Nick
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 1:51:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It's off!    I left it on while doing the initial checks & updates.  I like to be able to send something back "as delivered" if it is DOA or seriously defective.

Nick
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nick

Thank goodness!!! I can finally shake off the heebie jeebies I've had all morning!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top