Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/27/2014 1:52:51 PM EDT
I'm really wanting to build a good transceiver and want to make sure I'm not missing one.  I want a higher end transceiver that won't break the bank.  Kit must be a true build including soldering components on the board.

I'm finding about my only choice is the K2 from Elecraft.   Any other suggestions?
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:10:12 PM EDT
[#1]
There is a member here who bought a Youkits TJ4a but I don't think he ever got around to putting it together. I will send him a link to this thread.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:40:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I saw the TJ4A but it doesn't look like it's available for purchase right now...no buy it now link.

ETA QRP and packable preferred
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:42:37 PM EDT
[#3]
It has been replaced by the TJ5a. I don't think the 5 is a kit.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:51:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm seeing a lot of the true kits are disappearing.   I recently built the ten tec 1253 regen receiver and they've discontinued it since. I bought it bc the 1254 was discontinued.

A K3 would be nice but not the type of "kit" I'm looking for and is a bit much to stuff in a pack.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 3:37:38 PM EDT
[#5]
So much construction and design has gone to surface mount components, which are much more difficult for
the average person to mount and solder.  The old plug through boards are now for more simple projects.

This appears to be well done, the Sienna HF Transceiver Kit.  Can be built as an SDR, or with a front panel.

10 w or 100 w options.

http://www.dzkit.com/sienna_main.htm

But you sure aren't saving any money.  For the same money you could buy a really fine top end transceiver.

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 4:07:48 PM EDT
[#6]
That DZKit Sienna looks really cool but you're right, at that price I'd likely shop at the Elecraft store or forego the kit and get a nice Icom\Kenwood\Yaesu.

OP, some other ideas might be the following:

Or watch eBay for a Small Wonder Lab SW series. I have one unbuilt waiting for a nice cold winter.

Though none of these may be as high-end as you might be looking for.  I've done a couple of RockMites and some of the tuna tins. Mostly thru-hole with an occasional SMD part. They aren't real complex but they are still fun.  Some, like the RockMite have small ecosystems with lots of other fun stuff to do with them.

I've been gathering parts for these two scratch-builds:

And if all else fails charge up your flux capacitor and go here:

Though you might want to post a request for a group buy before you make the trip!
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 5:39:28 PM EDT
[#7]
islander.

Arnie Coro CO2KK has made Ametuer Radio affordable
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 5:45:34 PM EDT
[#8]
You won't be disappointed if you build a K2.

The K1 I'm presently building is very reminiscent of Heathkit. The only difference is that there are no cables or wiring harnesses between the circuits boards. They all plug into each other.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 5:59:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
islander.

Arnie Coro CO2KK has made Ametuer Radio affordable
View Quote

I've had several QSOs with Arnie!  Quite an active ham.  Even have a QSL card from him.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 10:37:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Guys, I appreciate all the responses.  I've been lost on m0xpd's site as the Arduino is another passion of mine.  Too bad he doesn't post his code.  

Still leaning toward the K2 at this point.  We'll see if Santa's feeling it.

Again, thanks for all the input and keep the suggestions coming on kits.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 11:47:42 AM EDT
[#11]
I went through the same process of searching for a transceiver kit to build.  There may be something out there that compares to the K2, but I never found it.  So, I went with the K2, and don't have any regrets.  I throughly enjoyed the building process, and each day, I looked forward  to sitting down at the work bench and making some progress.

It's not cheap, however, and after adding several of the options, mine topped out at about $1300.  But if you enjoy building kits, I don't think you will be disappointed.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:45:28 PM EDT
[#12]
If any of you kit builders are looking for a 2m transverter, I have a TenTec 1210 2m -> 10m kit I'm planning to list tonight on the EE.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 2:53:55 PM EDT
[#13]
I built a K2 about 10 years ago and it is a very nice kit.

If you decide to go that way get on the Rlecraft reflector
so you can ask questions during the build

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top