Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/27/2014 11:54:43 AM EDT
I have an idea for the ham forum... They already do this for the LEs who have an invisible badge. Could we somehow get invisible callsigns that only other hand can see?
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 12:04:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have an idea for the ham forum... They already do this for the LEs who have an invisible badge. Could we somehow get invisible callsigns that only other hand can see?
View Quote

Well we got our patches, so I guess anything is possible.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 1:03:58 PM EDT
[#2]
In to see how this one turns out.

K1---
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 1:06:39 PM EDT
[#3]
hell yes thats cool
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 1:34:01 PM EDT
[#4]
hell, I'd bump up my membership level if they did that.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 1:46:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Awesome idea!  Might be a bit harder to generate unique callsigns than a single emblem.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 3:11:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sign.  Me.  Up.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 4:40:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Awesome idea!  Might be a bit harder to generate unique callsigns than a single emblem.
View Quote

Make it a text field that the account holder fills out on their profile.  Make it invisible on the "display" field unless the viewing account holder has it filled out (and verified) as well.  Hmm, I guess that ar15.com (the board) would have to make an account on QRZ.com for this to work.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 6:05:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Make it a text field that the account holder fills out on their profile.  Make it invisible on the "display" field unless the viewing account holder has it filled out (and verified) as well.  Hmm, I guess that ar15.com (the board) would have to make an account on QRZ.com for this to work.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This, an icon that can be clicked that will link with the text field in our profile.

Could also do like echolink and just take a screenshot of the ULS page.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 6:09:47 PM EDT
[#9]
If you all are using firefox I know of someone who could make this happen...
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 6:29:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm not trying to stir the pot, but what is the advantage to having a secret ham badge? I can see it for law enforcement but why for hams other than being in a "secret club."
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 6:38:42 PM EDT
[#11]
OPSEC
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 6:58:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Because callsigns allow us to contact each other outside this forum.

Case in point, there was a thread on D*Star users.  If I could pull someone's callsign off their "nameplate" from posting in the thread, I could put it in the To: field in my radio and give them a holler when they're on the air.

With other digital modes (System Fusion, DMR, P25(?)) we can do the same.

There have been several attempts to consolidate this information via a thread or Google Earth map, this would simplify it.  Anyone who doesn't want to take part simply doesn't put their callsign in their profile, and is unable to see anyone else's callsign because of it.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:31:28 AM EDT
[#13]
It would be interesting.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:42:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm not trying to stir the pot, but what is the advantage to having a secret ham badge? I can see it for law enforcement but why for hams other than being in a "secret club."
View Quote

so, what is the rationale that results in that you "see it for law enforcement"?

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 3:36:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
OPSEC
View Quote

PERSEC
It's not like we (ARFHAM) have Tier1 assets out Operating abroad in harms way.

I'm not sure I'd like to do it. I haven't either bothered getting my papers for a tank icon either.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 6:37:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

PERSEC

I'm not sure I'd like to do it. I haven't either bothered getting my papers for a tank icon either.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OPSEC

PERSEC

It would be strictly voluntary, obviously.  I haven't gotten my tank icon either.

And if you're that concerned about PERSEC you do what I did and get a PO Box for your mailing address and give that to the FCC.

Half the people in here have talked to me on EchoLink and have my callsign anyway.  Why not make it convenient?
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:11:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

so, what is the rationale that results in that you "see it for law enforcement"?

ar-jedi
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ar-jedi

Doesn't law enforcement have a members only forum or something. I was referring to the amount of ill will that is directed towards them. I don't see a general disdain for hams on this website like there is for police.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:26:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Why not put your call sign in your sig-line?
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:10:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Why not put your call sign in your sig-line?
View Quote

Because it would make it totally public.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:12:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Isn't it a public record anyway?
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:21:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Isn't it a public record anyway?
View Quote

It is.  But you don't know which one is MINE.  Therefore you don't know how to AROCK me using it.

The beauty of having it in a field that's hidden unless YOU have a verified callsign is accountability.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:30:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Oh, given the amount of info folks post on public message boards, you're probably relatively easy to track down.  Particularly since your mailing address is public record.  Between knowing you live in Texas, Texas ham public mailing addresses, and your 3300 posts just on this forum, I could probably find you.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:40:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Oh, given the amount of info folks post on public message boards, you're probably relatively easy to track down.  Particularly since your mailing address is public record.  Between knowing you live in Texas, Texas ham public mailing addresses, and your 3300 posts just on this forum, I could probably find you.
View Quote

What is your mailing address?

If you don't want to say in a public forum that is fine, if you and I do a transaction in the EE we exchange that information though. My call is registered to a PO box in a town that doesn't even have a stop sign, but I still don't want to go around yelling it.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:48:09 PM EDT
[#24]
This would be more of a Goatboy thing to do. You may want to post it in the site request forum.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:50:10 PM EDT
[#25]
My mailing address is on my website.  Not going to post the website name here b/c I can't afford the dealer fees.

I get that some of you might not want to post your address publicly.  What I'm saying is that whether or not you post it publicly, it's still reasonably easy to figure out where you live.  Hence my suggestion.  If y'all can persuade the mods to give you a secret handshake, bully on you.

Texas HAMs can get their license call sign on their license plate, and many do.  Even if you don't, if your vehicle is festooned w/ antennae, I can write down your license plate.  I know the area you are in, b/c I was there too, and I can start checking HAM forums.  Between us putting ourselves out in public with thousands of public posts, and Google, there's very little anonymity in the US.  Pic has a blog, for God's sake.  Like I can't Google Seeing Eye Cat and not get close.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 3:09:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Maybe.  I'm pretty tight lipped about most personal details, though I do loosen up in the Ham forum a bit since most other people don't even know it exists and I've made my callsign available to members of this forum anyway.

Like several other people I use a PO Box, but I do publish my correct grid square to 4 places.  Most of which means bupkis to people outside this hobby.

I've given my callsign OTA for EchoLink and via PM to get the Google Earth list.  Sadly that wasn't maintained.  I did not post my callsign in the thread.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 4:05:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Maybe.  I'm pretty tight lipped about most personal details, though I do loosen up in the Ham forum a bit since most other people don't even know it exists and I've made my callsign available to members of this forum anyway.

Like several other people I use a PO Box, but I do publish my correct grid square to 4 places.  Most of which means bupkis to people outside this hobby.

I've given my callsign OTA for EchoLink and via PM to get the Google Earth list.  Sadly that wasn't maintained.  I did not post my callsign in the thread.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Given you broadcast a radio signal, likely have antennae sticking up around your house, and are likely the only ham in your neighborhood, probably not too difficult to find you.  Now, if you frequency hop only from a mobile transmitter w/ interior antennae, perhaps your tin foil is not too tight, but I've read in here of y'all's DX contests.  If everyone in your neighborhood is a ham, well ok, but if there's only 5 guys in your zip code who have licenses?  Forget your gridsquare, once I figure out your zipcode, all I need to do is drive around during the day.  Granted, it'll be easier to find a RI ham than a Texas one.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 4:21:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Yes I took the same stance a few weeks ago when someone didn't want to get licensed because they didn't want their info in the system. With 10k post here I sent him a pm of what he drives, where (city) he lives, and a pretty good idea of past and present employment. Nothing nefarious, he okayed it.

The thing is with a public call posted here it ties my real world life and family to this one. My qrz page has pretty unique info that I share with other hams that I don't want ARock to see. Could someone get my call? Absolutely, There are two videos here that have been posted with it, however it has never been said gcw=xx5xxx.

I am happy to share it with other hams here or people interested in getting licensed, but anyone can read this page. I have had no joke 2 cases of people texting me with a link to one of my threads asking if it was me, neither were members at the time.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 4:47:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Given you broadcast a radio signal, likely have antennae sticking up around your house, and are likely the only ham in your neighborhood, probably not too difficult to find you.  Now, if you frequency hop only from a mobile transmitter w/ interior antennae, perhaps your tin foil is not too tight, but I've read in here of y'all's DX contests.  If everyone in your neighborhood is a ham, well ok, but if there's only 5 guys in your zip code who have licenses?  Forget your gridsquare, once I figure out your zipcode, all I need to do is drive around during the day.  Granted, it'll be easier to find a RI ham than a Texas one.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well if you can find me you can buy me a beverage.  :D

I'm not on HF and my antenna's not obvious.  If you go back about a year in this forum you can find an MS paint asking about hanging it though.  :D
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 5:19:00 PM EDT
[#30]
You guys could also do a thread in Team.  That's not accessible to the general public.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 6:55:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
You guys could also do a thread in Team.  That's not accessible to the general public.
View Quote

Team is still widely browsed by people who just paid $24. Personally, $24 isn't that much.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 7:16:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:  Well if you can find me you can buy me a beverage.  :D

I'm not on HF and my antenna's not obvious.  If you go back about a year in this forum you can find an MS paint asking about hanging it though.  :D
View Quote

That's not much incentive to go Googling.    Now, if you claimed you had a case of Bushmills buried in your back yard, and your dog loved chilli with beans, I might put in the work...

Otherwise, you'll just have to send an invitation to my PO box on the website I can't link to, and I'll bring the Bushmills.  I get the concern - I'm just pointing out that you can already be found.  There's no percentage in stealing your expensive ham equipment when the only market for it is other hams - who by definition all talk to each other.  It's an interesting hobby, and I should get into it.  Someone gave me their old radio they didn't use anymore.  I should fill out the paperwork & hook it up.

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 7:27:51 PM EDT
[#33]
It's kinda fraternal.  The guys here have a gentlemen's agreement not to out each other on a gun forum. Pretty much sums up the mums...since the podcast, I'm an open book, still my brothers here only refer to me as SCWolverine...never a name or call, just my avatar...and that's how we like it.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 8:13:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you even dipole bro???
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 9:04:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Roll up J-pole hanging in a tree.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 11:26:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:  Do you even dipole bro???
View Quote

Nope.  Had a chance to be a Signal ossifer.  Ain't one.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 12:20:56 PM EDT
[#37]
How about this?  If you want another ARFCOMMER to know your call sign, you just IM your call sign to him.  
That way you control who does and does not have access your call, and therefore your personal info.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 9:11:59 PM EDT
[#38]
I still think the ham only call view would cool.

You can't find out much from my callsign…
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:48:20 PM EDT
[#39]
To keep it administratively simple, maybe we could just have a little antenna symbol for hams.

In the meantime, is the roster being actively maintained? Arf roster
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 7:18:58 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Team is still widely browsed by people who just paid $24. Personally, $24 isn't that much.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  I don't mind anyone who has a callsign getting my callsign.  I don't want it listed for a bunch of people who don't know what it is (or even if they do) getting snoopy.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 12:49:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Maybe y'all could do a run of special angled polarized lenses, and put it pictures in your avatars so only y'all could see it.  
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 4:03:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
To keep it administratively simple, maybe we could just have a little antenna symbol for hams.

In the meantime, is the roster being actively maintained? Arf roster
View Quote

I went through there earlier and didn't see any callsigns in the dozen or 2 messages I read.

I much preferred the Google Earth thread for sharing, but the OP of that thread seems to have (NUC something) seems to have disappeared, at least temporarily.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top