Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/24/2014 11:38:47 PM EDT
Important to note.  If you are going to be using a gas mask and talking on a radio you will sound like Charlie Browns teacher.  

Even with a speaking diaphragm you will want to get a throat mic, or some other way to communicate.  

Which reminds me I really need to work not the cable for mine.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 1:38:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Whomp whomp whomp,Wa whomp whomp whomp
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 8:49:16 AM EDT
[#2]
FWIW there is a gas mask adapter for the PRC 320
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 10:04:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 10:25:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I just know a lot of people have bought gas masks for preps and some of them have radios.  But I bet most have not tested both together.  My throat mic was bought and used for the FD.  I can tell you from experience that masks do not transmit the voice well.  Luckily our masks eventually had mic's and amplifiers built in.  

Listening last night to the Ferguson feed the wa wah wa from Charlie Browns teacher was sad.  One officer finally had to take is mask off to relay that there were shots fired.  

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 4:15:29 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Whomp whomp whomp,Wa whomp whomp whomp
View Quote

Yes, ma'am.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 5:21:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 5:28:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Voicemeter; most modern masks have them
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 6:46:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Uh, is this going to be a very likely event?  

I think I'd go play radio elsewhere if there was gas around.

BTW, I'm qualified on a number of different respirator types, as well as SCBA.

And just did a fit test a few weeks ago.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 6:53:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 7:11:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
FWIW there is a gas mask adapter for the PRC 320
View Quote

It was intended for use with the 349's , I imagine it would work with the 320, but they sound like shit. ETA the masks suck too ;)

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 8:25:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Uh, is this going to be a very likely event?  

I think I'd go play radio elsewhere if there was gas around.

View Quote

Probably not but I know a lot of people here that have sunk money into buying them.  I have a couple but use them mainly for things like using the soda blaster on baffles

But if you live in an area like Ferguson where there is trouble and tear gas is deployed you might need it.  I have no plans or intensions of sticking around but you never know.  

I have also been in a few situations where people have either intentionally or accidentally deployed pepper spray in occupied buildings.  Having a mask and radio to coordinate evac or cleanup helped.  

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 8:30:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
throat and ear mics generally sound like shit too imho. but they are better than with a mask alone.
View Quote

They may sound like shit but at least you can understand them in most cases.    The "voice emitter" diaphragm was a great invention but for some reason it just does not work well with radios in my experience.  It was hard teaching guys not to put the radio right against the emitter, it does need a little room to work or you get distortion.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 8:56:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

They may sound like shit but at least you can understand them in most cases.    The "voice emitter" diaphragm was a great invention but for some reason it just does not work well with radios in my experience.  It was hard teaching guys not to put the radio right against the emitter, it does need a little room to work or you get distortion.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
throat and ear mics generally sound like shit too imho. but they are better than with a mask alone.

Not sure if you mean the passive "voicemitter" piezo-type diaphragm, or the active (battery-powered) versions.

In my experience, neither is close to perfect. The powered one being only marginally better than the passive, even in noisy environments.

Tried the throat mics in my agency a while back, and while I thought it was a good solution, they were shot down by the brass in the end.

I am not a scientist nor an audiophile, but I believe a factor is that the range of human voice frequencies that are replicated and retransmitted (so to speak) is wider in a throat mic versus any kind of voicemitter. Thus, more sounds being more intelligible and a higher chance of message comprehension with some of the transmission muffled.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 9:11:00 PM EDT
[#14]
I have used both the active and the passive.  While the active are better they both still stink.  I agree that the range of the human voice is a problem for them.

As for the throat mics, I am sure that some of the bad press is from the crappy eBay china mart versions.  The one I have is a TEA LASH which is a better quality.  

I am not advocating that everyone run out and buy one.  I was listening to the scanner feed and heard how bad it was.  It brought back bad memories of past events I lived through where comms problems meant life and death.  Then I started thinking about the people here that have bought gas masks for EOTW events etc.  I just wondered how many of them had thought through how well they would work with their Baofeng radios that they may or may not have a license for.       I guess I was curious if any of them had planned that far ahead.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:29:55 AM EDT
[#15]
I dddd..ddddd...don't  have any gas masks.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 11:11:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top