Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/21/2014 7:12:04 PM EDT
So at the hamfest last week, I bought a  AEA Model PK-232MBX for $5.  The thing lights up and everything, but I have no clue what to do with it.   Is it worth keeping or should I flip it on eBay?
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 8:37:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Lighting up and actually working are two different things. I have one as well but haven't used it in a while. I had been pushing for an ARFCOM packet network but not enough interest. There is some packet activity on 20 meters, 14.105.0 USB, called "Net105".
Do you have an old DOS computer to hook it up and see if it "signs on" to the computer?
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 8:39:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lighting up and actually working are two different things. I have one as well but haven't used it in a while. I had been pushing for an ARFCOM packet network but not enough interest. There is some packet activity on 20 meters, 14.105.0 USB, called "Net105".
Do you have an old DOS computer to hook it up and see if it "signs on" to the computer?
View Quote

No DOS computer
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 8:39:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

If he doesn't have a DOS computer he can use a modern one and download Putty.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 9:16:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Doorstop...

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:12:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Doorstop...

View Quote

Hey now! While the newer digital modes are far superior, I have yet to find software to compare with the AEA in packet mode. I've run quite a few TNC's in my day, MFJ, Kantronics but the AEA is a better unit if you want to run packet.
E- If you can get it to sign on to a computer, it may bring pretty good $$$ on Flea-Bay. I sold one (working) a couple years ago for $80 or 90.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:43:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I picked up a MFJ TNC-2 at the local ham fest this year. I hooked up the TTL output to an arduino and read local aprs traffic over the arduino serial console output.

Manual : http://www.repeater-builder.com/aea/pk232/pk232mbx-operating-manual.pdf

Pinout of the ext modem connection ( should be TTL level ) is in the schematic in the last part of the manual.

Keep it and play with it. If you get bored with it or just don't care for it, sell it on QTH or ebay.
I'd be interested.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 1:54:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So at the hamfest last week, I bought a  AEA Model PK-232MBX for $5.  The thing lights up and everything, but I have no clue what to do with it.   Is it worth keeping or should I flip it on eBay?
View Quote

very nice score.

that thing was worth $299 in 1989 dollars.  and that was way back in 1989.  just think about what it could be worth now!

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 1:10:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Did you get any of the manuals? It will run RS 232 at port maximum of 9600 baud. Properly set up it will run VHF & HF packet, FSK, RTTY, AMTOR, and Pactor; plus, if you are near a USCG coastal station, NAVTEX.  All you need to run it is a MODEM program at 1200 baud at 8 N 1. In dumb terminal mode. It is one of the best hardware RTTY boxes and will run FSK or AFSK on TX.
Rob
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 3:54:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Did you get any of the manuals? It will run RS 232 at port maximum of 9600 baud. Properly set up it will run VHF & HF packet, FSK, RTTY, AMTOR, and Pactor; plus, if you are near a USCG coastal station, NAVTEX.  All you need to run it is a MODEM program at 1200 baud at 8 N 1. In dumb terminal mode. It is one of the best hardware RTTY boxes and will run FSK or AFSK on TX.
Rob
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rob

Cool
I've heard rumors that I can control it with DX Labs too!
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 4:20:07 PM EDT
[#10]

All the cool kids have them.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 4:41:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s1166.photobucket.com/user/jnu5/media/20140723_175154_zps9s5bonhv.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q610/jnu5/20140723_175154_zps9s5bonhv.jpg</a>

All the cool kids have them.
View Quote

I can't remember, are you running DX labs?  And how do you like the TNC?
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 4:50:37 PM EDT
[#12]
It is awesome. I mostly use it for APRS with my TM-g707 but it is also hooked up to my TS-2000 so flipping the switch will change between the 2 radios.

For APRS it works great. I use xastir and put the TNC into kiss mode. On HF I have only had 1 QSO with it and connected to a couple local 2m BBSs. Just for kicks I tried 9600 baud between it and my TH-d72 and it worked fine.

All off my interaction with it is done through either minicom or gtkterm, both are linux terminals. Nothing fancy but they work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top