Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 7:03:59 AM EDT
[#1]
I need two 6146B's and a 12BY7.

So to answer your question, yes, tubes are very much used / desired by amateur radio operators.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 11:11:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Here's a good reference site. Franks Tube Data
Seriously, figure out/sort what you have and put them in the EE if you want to sell any of them.
View Quote

I am sorting them out but it's taking a little bit because there are so many little tubes with so many different numbers.and yea I will get rid of some/most I know you guys will use them,I just don't know if all of them are good and if they are good what would be a fair price.i really have no use for them I would rather see them being used than sitting in boxes in my garage
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 11:59:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Was in the audience for a speech by the general in charge of Global Strike Command (The Nukes) last year.   Apparently they were digging into a contract for a tube for the B-52s or nuke silos (can't remember which).  They found out it came from a factory 15 miles outside of Moscow.  Apparently it was one of those WTF moments at the Pentagon.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 12:16:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I can use some 12ax7s and 6bq5s if you have some. The tubes need to be graded (tested) which is from good to new and that sets the prices. NOS tubes are great in guitar amps and I have a pair of Westinghouse 12ax7s (one is RCA black plate and other Raytheon black plate) and my 6bq5s (el84) are Sylvania matched set (Baldwin organ stock).

Once you go NOS you'll never look back. My amp can testify to that.

image hosting 5mb
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 12:27:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Not completely on topic, but I know we all love this video and it's been a while since it was posted

Link Posted: 11/2/2014 12:44:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Not completely on topic, but I know we all love this video and it's been a while since it was posted

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzyXMEpq4qw
View Quote

One of my favorites
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 12:45:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

One of my favorites
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One of my favorites

I'd love to spend a day in his shop. Almost all of his equipment seems to be home made too.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 4:03:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Can anyone recommend a tube tester?also I was reading that the 5963 tube is a replacement for the 12au7,but is it as good.i have more 5963 than 12au7 so far
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 5:59:37 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

The only other country now producing glass tubes is China.  Russia was making the Svetlana brand tubes, which are very good, but the only remaining

Russian tube products now are ceramic tubes.

View Quote
No, China is not the only producer of glass tubes.
The old Tesla factory in the Slovak Republic was bought out and renamed JJ, and all JJ tubes are made there.
It is true that the old Svetlana*/S.E.D. plant in St. Petersburg, Russia closed last year, but New Sensor still makes glass tubes in Saratov, Russia. Their brands include, Sovtek, Svetlana, Electro Harmonix, Mullard Reissue, Tung-Sol Reissue, Genalex Gold Lion Reissue, and maybe a couple others I can't remember off the top of my head.
* Svetlana became known as Winged C or =C= over here due to a trademark dispute. All Svetlana tubes available in the US made after this change have been produced by New Sensor.

Link Posted: 11/3/2014 8:06:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The old Tesla factory in the Slovak Republic was bought out and renamed JJ, and all JJ tubes are made there.

It is true that the old Svetlana*/S.E.D. plant in St. Petersburg, Russia closed last year, but New Sensor still makes glass tubes in Saratov, Russia. Their brands include, Sovtek, Svetlana, Electro Harmonix, Mullard Reissue, Tung-Sol Reissue, Genalex Gold Lion Reissue, and maybe a couple others I can't remember off the top of my head.

* Svetlana became known as Winged C or =C= over here due to a trademark dispute. All Svetlana tubes available in the US made after this change have been produced by New Sensor.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The only other country now producing glass tubes is China.  Russia was making the Svetlana brand tubes, which are very good, but the only remaining

Great news, 'Shootin'!  Thanks!  

I would love to see new 811As, 572Bs coming out of there.

I just looked up New Sensor, and they have 572s and 811s, but NOT 572Bs and 811As.  Big difference, and 811 does not sub for 811A, nor does 572 sub for
the 572B.

Oh, well.  
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 2:24:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I had a set of Mullard RIs in my amp and they sounded good but they don't last. New stock tubes just doesn't have the longivity of the NOSes. I had my NOS tubes in my amp for years and they sound like they're improving.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 6:03:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I had a set of Mullard RIs in my amp and they sounded good but they don't last. New stock tubes just doesn't have the longivity of the NOSes. I had my NOS tubes in my amp for years and they sound like they're improving.
View Quote

Sent you a pm for some of what you are looking for
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 8:53:53 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I just looked up New Sensor, and they have 572s and 811s, but NOT 572Bs and 811As.  Big difference, and 811 does not sub for 811A, nor does 572 sub for

the 572B.

Oh, well.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

the 572B.

Oh, well.  
Nag them about it. The guy that owns New Sensor is Mike Matthews, the same guy that owns Electro Harmonix. Granted, their business is more guitar oriented, but I wouldn't hurt if you ham guys would lobby New Sensor for what you'd like to see produced. Because if there's enough demand, I would imagine that they would produce it.

If you have doubts about them looking into and producing different tube types, just look into their development of the KT90 and KT120 power tubes. They are based on the KT88, but are larger, much larger in the case of the KT120. So they're not strangers to trying new things.

Link Posted: 11/10/2014 8:22:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Havent been on for a while, but a member sent me a message about the thread since I'm a bit of a tube nut.  Don't have time to read it all tonight but wanted to bump and tag.  BTW I have a Triplett 3444 Lab tube analyzer.

Link Posted: 11/10/2014 8:40:11 PM EDT
[#15]
I'll take all the 4O1As, 300Bs and 8877s. Unless you want to keep that junk
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 8:41:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wow! Very interesting. Thanks for the link.
Discovery channel's "How It's Made" show had an episode on how vacuum tubes are made. Very educational.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 1:38:39 AM EDT
[#17]
I am in the basement watching this, and, enjoyed the music.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top