Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2014 12:11:16 PM EDT
What can I do about it? I don't have any real options for a good antenna location.

Is my only option to use a different area?
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 12:16:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Walk around the house with a cheap AM radio, and find where it's loud, then figure out what's making the noise.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 12:27:43 PM EDT
[#2]
paging Dr. echomancer, paging Dr. echomancer; you're needed in this thread, stat.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 12:44:25 PM EDT
[#3]
So, as was suggested, look for sources of noise.  Try vertical and horizontal polarization.  Try different times of day.  If the noise is super super bad, you may want to try mag loop antennas with very narrow bandwidths.

I have the same problem, but my solution is to only operation portably, though I am currently looking for a mag loop.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 12:47:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Your next door neighbor running grow lights?
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 1:03:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

What can I do about it? I don't have any real options for a good antenna location.

View Quote
What freq?

That is pretty common on 75 meters.

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 3:38:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Welcome to my world

40M is just about useless for me.

The first thing to be suggested is to shut off the power to your house at the main breaker and run your radio off of a battery to note any changes in the noise level.  You'd be surprised at the amount of noise thrown off by some wall warts!
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 4:17:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I have the same problem. S8 noise on everything lower than 20m, and probably S5 from 20m and up. I have the entire building's electrical boxes on my outside wall and I think that's the source. I've tried switching off my breaker but the noise persists. Noise is loudest when I hold my receiver next to any wall outlet. My mag loop actually picks up more noise than my little 10m dipole I have tacked up to my wall.

Can't wait to move....
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 4:38:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What freq?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What freq?

All of them... Even the non-local AM broadcast is noon existent compared to my car.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 4:07:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Try to find where interference is coming from. It can be your neighbors plasma TV, aquarium light etc.
Some people can't operate from their apartments because of antenna restrictions and/or high noise level. They choose to run an HF radio from their vehicles instead. You'd be surprised what can be done with a mobile radio and a good mobile antenna ( like Tarheel Screwdriver antenna).
What kind of power supply are you using? Some poor quality switch mode supplies can generate tons of RF noise. They are also more susceptible to common mode noise from house wiring.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:57:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Do you have an RTL-SDR? See what the interference "looks" like.

Alternatively, you can switch your 718 to AM and spin around a bit to get a feel for it. If you're feeling froggy, take a couple videos.

How's your antenna fed? What kind of antenna? Where is it?
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 3:16:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

I live in a TH as well and suffer S7+ noise on all bands all the time.  It was there when I ran a vertical antenna and is there now with my wire antenna (runs along top of backyard fence).

Where in VA?

Chris
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 5:28:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

All of them... Even the non-local AM broadcast is noon existent compared to my car.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What freq?

Tell us about your set up.  Radio, PS, tuner, cabling, antenna, etc.

First be sure you are not causing the problem.  Use a good portable radio, or rig a battery to power your ham radio.  So that you are not connected to the building electrical/ground.  Also that would eliminate your PS which could be causing the noise.  Next, find what freq the noise is strongest vs weakest.    Then move around the apt again looking for strongest vs weakest noise.  
Unplug likely sources of noise like wal-wart PS, touch lamps, florescent lights, motion lights, plasma TV's, neon, etc.  Better yet, just flip off the main breaker and turn off everything, then turn stuff on one breaker at a time.
Then you can build antennas to work in the areas/freq with the most signal and null out the most noise.

Even in the worst environments you should be able to hear something.  Although it can take time to figure out what and how.

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 5:35:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I live in a TH as well and suffer S7+ noise on all bands all the time.  It was there when I ran a vertical antenna and is there now with my wire antenna (runs along top of backyard fence).

Where in VA?

Chris
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where in VA?

Chris

I question the validity of these types of claims.  I would suspect something about your set up is the problem not the RF in the air.  Like a bad PS, bad cable/connector, etc.  I seriously doubt that it is possible to have S7+ noise on all bands all the time.  Something very unusual is happening (which could be a violation of law and you can then take action to correct) or more likely there is a problem with your set up.

If there really is something causing you to have S7+ noise all the time, like a failing transformer on the power pole outside, etc then you should be able to find it and order it repaired.  They are probably in violation of several laws including FCC regulations.  You have a legal right to use the air waves (at least some of it).  They do not have a right to pollute them.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 6:16:56 PM EDT
[#14]
I've seen S7+ noise in a town home with my own eyes.  These were modern HOA homes with underground utilities for miles.  In an affluent neighborhood with so many neighbors so close, with so many inexpensive electronic devices, it's just the way things are nowadays.

I had some cheap Chinese wall warts that came with some security cameras once that caused S9 noise across all the HF bands.  I should have saved a couple.  The noise radiated back into the house AC wiring which made a great transmitting antenna.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:39:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Glad to know I'm not the only one! I've got a 20m half wave strung up in my room. Cable is cheap 58 from RadioShack. It runs right next to my PC, so that's probably not helping. No tuner... My room is a disaster, otherwise I'd post a pic.

Actually, looks like 40m is pretty clear here tonight maybe S3. 20m is completely S9, though. Wow! Great coverage of the net on 7138! Really clear!
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:49:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Glad to know I'm not the only one! I've got a 20m half wave strung up in my room. Cable is cheap 58 from RadioShack. It runs right next to my PC, so that's probably not helping. No tuner... My room is a disaster, otherwise I'd post a pic.
View Quote

My experience was at my Dad's house in Colorado.  We turned off all of the breakers one by one and reduced some noise on some bands.  Easy to find the noise sources in his house by doing that and using a VX-7R handheld.  Then you need to find the noise sources in the other half of the townhouse, and all of the other houses all around.  All of the breaker panels are outside there so we tried to get a nephew to go around shutting off all of the neighborhood house's power until the noise stopped but he wouldn't go for it no matter how much beer we fed him.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 4:05:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Switching power supplies have been my biggest problem. Wall chargers and computer power supplies are notorious for spewing RFI into the ham bands.

When I first got a Flex Radio I found about a half dozen of these things killing my HF reception.

I was amazing how quiet my receive became after unplugging them.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:55:04 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Switching power supplies have been my biggest problem. Wall chargers and computer power supplies are notorious for spewing RFI into the ham bands.

When I first got a Flex Radio I found about a half dozen of these things killing my HF reception.

View Quote

I just got in a cheap laptop AC power supply that gives off horrendous noise.

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:20:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

THIS X100.

It's amazing how much stuff doesn't actually do anything until you can "see" it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:21:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I question the validity of these types of claims.  I would suspect something about your set up is the problem not the RF in the air.  Like a bad PS, bad cable/connector, etc.  I seriously doubt that it is possible to have S7+ noise on all bands all the time.  Something very unusual is happening (which could be a violation of law and you can then take action to correct) or more likely there is a problem with your set up.

If there really is something causing you to have S7+ noise all the time, like a failing transformer on the power pole outside, etc then you should be able to find it and order it repaired.  They are probably in violation of several laws including FCC regulations.  You have a legal right to use the air waves (at least some of it).  They do not have a right to pollute them.
View Quote

The thing with TH developments is that your population density is much higher than a normal neighborhood.  You're closer to your neighbors and you have more of them.   A bad wall wart power supply at a neighbor's house is closer to me than it would be in a single-family-home environment.  Also, while not relevant today, my city was one of the original BPL cities.

I've changed my station set-up a few times over the years, so I doubt it's related to bad connections, PSU, etc.  Currently, I'm 100% battery powered.  

It's something I've come to accept, which is why I maintain my station as a portable station and operate away from home frequently.

Chris
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:49:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't doubt it at all.  Do you think he is making it up?  I have seen this myself in various locations.  Take the same radio, go out of town, S0-S1 noise.

We had S7-S9 noise at the club station.  We traced it down to several transformers in the area, and something to do with a local cable TV company that
has had warnings from the FCC again.  We borrowed directional equipment to track it down.  The FCC was in town last week due to all this.

Many will mention grounding.  I've never found that presence or total lack of grounding had any effect on noise.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:54:20 AM EDT
[#22]
I currently have S7 to S9 noise on 40m thru 180m all the time and am tracking it down now. From 20m to 10m I have S0 to S1 most times.

I turned off the power and I still had it so that removed the power in the house and the power supply. So that leaves the transformer coming in outside or the radio itself.

No other house is close enough to interfere I would imagine as it's probably 1/4 mile in any direction to the nearest house.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:19:57 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I currently have S7 to S9 noise on 40m thru 180m all the time and am tracking it down now. From 20m to 10m I have S0 to S1 most times.

I turned off the power and I still had it so that removed the power in the house and the power supply. So that leaves the transformer coming in outside or the radio itself.

No other house is close enough to interfere I would imagine as it's probably 1/4 mile in any direction to the nearest house.
View Quote
My situation exactly.  I've had the power company out a few times and now they're saying they can't find anything else on their end.

Let us know what you find out if you ever get the issue fixed!

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:50:41 AM EDT
[#24]
It has to be the transformer at this point. It is in the yard on the opposite side of the house, maybe 200-250 feet away. Possibly the radio, I don't know.

The good news is I rarely even go over to 40-180m. I mosly only work DX so it's not a huge loss.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:07:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have this issue as well - all of my various things that require 120V AC power have their own little wall-wart, all running different output voltages and amperage. Of course, my desk is also home to my computers, monitors and printer. I have two large surge protectors, both completely full, and about half of the ports have a wart on them.

Is there a way forward, though? Do folks use a bench power supply with multiple ports, snip the wires off the wallwart and run everything off a known-good supply? Put their power strips in some kind of crude faraday cage and slap chokes on all the power leads? Use those three prong -> two prong power adapters?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:08:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I have this issue as well - all of my various things that require 120V AC power have their own little wall-wart, all running different output voltages and amperage. Of course, my desk is also home to my computers, monitors and printer. I have two large surge protectors, both completely full, and about half of the ports have a wart on them.

Is there a way forward, though? Do folks use a bench power supply with multiple ports, snip the wires off the wallwart and run everything off a known-good supply? Put their power strips in some kind of crude faraday cage and slap chokes on all the power leads? Use those three prong -> two prong power adapters?
View Quote

ANything that takes 12v or 13.8 comes off my 13.8v power supply. Anything that takes 9v comes off the 13.8 with solid-state 9v regulator.

Right now I've got probably 3 13.8v plugs, and 2 9v plugs.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:25:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I don't doubt it at all.  Do you think he is making it up?  I have seen this myself in various locations.  Take the same radio, go out of town, S0-S1 noise.

We had S7-S9 noise at the club station.  We traced it down to several transformers in the area, and something to do with a local cable TV company that
has had warnings from the FCC again.  We borrowed directional equipment to track it down.  The FCC was in town last week due to all this.

Many will mention grounding.  I've never found that presence or total lack of grounding had any effect on noise.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.  You misunderstand me.  I'm saying that they are not insurmountable problems. I don't accept that they are completely dead zones of all noise on all bands that must be accepted as useless for radio.   Either the noise is locally produced (by you or a close neighbor) or by a near by source that can be traced.  Either way, it can be found and dealt with.  Both physically and legally.  Usually they are not all bands, all the time, nor can they be "every where".  That would take a phenomenal amount of energy to produce S7+ noise on all bands across a large area, and for the same reason it should be easy to find.  Small wal warts are annoying, but very local and limited in their range.  They can be overcome.

Town homes aren't that bad.  IMO, large heavy buildings with substantial shielding and noise are a bigger problem.  Noise can be found, eliminated and/or nulled.  There really is no way to overcome shielding other than get a coax thru it and install antennas outside.  One building I work in is unusually heavy and shielded with huge noise sources.  Still some radio works (poorly) in some areas.

Find the bad transformers, use battery power, find useable bands, build nulling antennas, etc.  There should always be a way to get a usable radio signal in and out of a TH or almost any location.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:33:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The thing with TH developments is that your population density is much higher than a normal neighborhood.  You're closer to your neighbors and you have more of them.   A bad wall wart power supply at a neighbor's house is closer to me than it would be in a single-family-home environment.  Also, while not relevant today, my city was one of the original BPL cities.

I've changed my station set-up a few times over the years, so I doubt it's related to bad connections, PSU, etc.  Currently, I'm 100% battery powered.  

It's something I've come to accept, which is why I maintain my station as a portable station and operate away from home frequently.

Chris
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chris

I guarantee that I have used radio's in much more crowed environments than a TH, or probably anything you can imagine (professionally).  You can find the noise and find the holes where there isn't noise.  There is always a way.  It may take a lot of work with some spectacular failures, but it can be done.  TH density is nothing compared to running over 100 channels (for one operation) simultaneously in midtown Manhattan.  Next to thousands of other users doing the same thing.  We still make it work.  It can be done.  TH is certainly not impossible.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:30:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I guarantee that I have used radio's in much more crowed environments than a TH, or probably anything you can imagine (professionally).  You can find the noise and find the holes where there isn't noise.  There is always a way.  It may take a lot of work with some spectacular failures, but it can be done.  TH density is nothing compared to running over 100 channels (for one operation) simultaneously in midtown Manhattan.  Next to thousands of other users doing the same thing.  We still make it work.  It can be done.  TH is certainly not impossible.
View Quote

I have no doubt I could improve the situation if I were motivated enough (how much improvement is the question).  However, I'm not.  Noise is not the only operating issue I have to deal with here.  My home-based operations are light-duty and less interesting to me than operating while camping, field day, and the like.  

Chris
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 12:00:39 AM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

Really sounds like a challenge.. what freq range ? What emission type ?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top