Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/20/2014 7:21:23 PM EDT
i found a used 897d on a ham site, the unit has had no mods, still has 3 months warranty on it. Everything that came in the box but no additional equipment. I don't have a clue about the used market, do you guys have any idea what price is reasonable in todays market?

Thanks,
John
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:41:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Go to www.hro.com or www.gigaparts.com and look at the price of the new ones. That may give you an idea and depending on the condition of the radio, I would guess about $850/$900 for a used radio in excellent condition.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:19:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Be careful with used rigs. I've seen people selling them all full of dust and looking like it's been used in camel convoys in Iraq.
I would not pay more than $800 for a used one in good shape. They seem to hold good used value though.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:36:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Be careful with used rigs. I've seen people selling them all full of dust and looking like it's been used in camel convoys in Iraq.
I would not pay more than $800 for a used one in good shape. They seem to hold good used value though.
View Quote

Thank you Gyprat, you bring up additional questions regarding buying used. Are there things to look out for, such as a unit full of dust. I've seen some photos of units where you know that the guys desk be used for field expedient surgery  and others you would want to be sure you're up on your shots before placing a drink down on the table, if you can get to it...

What are the right kinds of questions to be asking.  I don't like mods and something that has changed hands several times. Nor am I enthusiastic about missing parts or pieces.

Or should I just pony up the extra 200 bucks and buy a full warranty(buy new), resting in the peace of mind that Yaesu will fix it. Do they break that often right out of the box?

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences and insights.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:06:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What are the right kinds of questions to be asking.  I don't like mods and something that has changed hands several times. Nor am I enthusiastic about missing parts or pieces.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Ask for high res pics.
Ask for pic of it being tested in the various modes.
Heck I volunteer to post youtube vids of any radios I am selling doing whatever the interested buyer wants (legally) to see it doing.
Of course the risk there is he'll likely sell it to someone less demanding even if he is on the up-and-up.

Quoted:
Or should I just pony up the extra 200 bucks and buy a full warranty(buy new), resting in the peace of mind that Yaesu will fix it. Do they break that often right out of the box?

For a first radio...this^

For subsequent radios...can be a toss up.  I bought a 857D in its original packaging for $500 recently.  But it has no warranty and there is no real way to tell if NIB.
The seller met me and was nice enough to let me bring test equipment to try it with before handing over the cash.  I bet that doesn't happen very often.

If you can get a hands-on test, that is ideal.
If yoou buy off Ebay be sure to pay with a CC, as this gives you another option if it arrives DOA.  You can dispute the charge with the CC company rather than paypal/egay...believe me, they are NOT looking out for the buyer.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:45:48 PM EDT
[#5]
so, I'm not getting warm fuzzies about buying used now. Which online vendors have good prices and quality service? I'd damn sure hate passing on a deal, only to buy from some chicom shop that's going to play games for moths if something on the radio stops working.

what about an extended warranty? Are these things rock solid or does it make sense to get an extended warranty?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:46:11 PM EDT
[#6]
$750-800 seems fair.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:58:09 PM EDT
[#7]
HRO has an open box one for $882.  Ask them but I'd think it has the factory warranty.  I wouldn't get any extended warranty.

http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-007099&oi=1034712782

It's been a while since I looked but I think guys were asking around $750 used with accessories on QRZ and QTH a while back.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:00:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't get in a hurry. Watch QRZ and qth daily and find one within a 2 hour drive and go check it out first. It might take a month or two, but it beats shipping it to the factory for repairs. I have a 857 at Yaesu now, that I bought used, "as is".  The few bucks I saved are gone with an approximate $150 repair and shipping fee.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:21:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
HRO has an open box one for $882.  Ask them but I'd think it has the factory warranty.  I wouldn't get any extended warranty.

http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-007099&oi=1034712782

It's been a while since I looked but I think guys were asking around $750 used with accessories on QRZ and QTH a while back.
View Quote

Thanks, things haven't changed, much, add shipping and insurance and now that deal that was 750 is 825........and 975 is about the best price i've found on a new in the box unit. I'd feel better about pulling the trigger, but I hear these things are not exactly rock solid and have a tendency to go to the shop.....which sounds like a expensive hassle that lacks a quick turn around time.  Personally, I'm supprised that at $1k they would not have something that see's less action than a maytag repair man - it doesn't sound like "reliable" is the case and 600-700 is more reasonable than the 7-800 range.  Wish I had more practical experience before dropping a grand.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:30:38 PM EDT
[#10]
If you are really not in a hurry...wait til HRO drops prices in December.

IIRC, prices dropped to just over $700 last year.

Awesome price and respectable vendor.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:38:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If you are really not in a hurry...wait til HRO drops prices in December.

IIRC, prices dropped to just over $700 last year.

Awesome price and respectable vendor.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

That is a remarkable price for a new unit and this is the second time i've heard something along the lines of prices being better around the holidays, I've got nothing but time and aarl manuals and test questions. that and some ht's to tinker with. Those sorts of prices might make a 817 as a super portable unit possible.

I'll leave everyone alone till then, thank for the good advice.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:50:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Prices may drop even more when the FT-991 becomes available.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:31:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Thank you Gyprat, you bring up additional questions regarding buying used. Are there things to look out for, such as a unit full of dust. I've seen some photos of units where you know that the guys desk be used for field expedient surgery  and others you would want to be sure you're up on your shots before placing a drink down on the table, if you can get to it...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look at their QRZ page and see if it has any pictures of seller's shack. Ask what the radio was used for and also ask for detailed high resolution pictures of the radio. Ask if they can do on the air test.
Give preference to sellers who accept PAYPAL.
These radios are very reliable and built well. They are still manufactured in Japan. You are not buying an Elecraft or MFJ product after all. I would personally wait another month and buy new at a possibly discounted price.
Having optional filters is nice too. Don't buy a SSB filter as it makes very little difference but an optional 300Hz CW filter does an amazing job.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:49:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Look at their QRZ page and see if it has any pictures of seller's shack. Ask what the radio was used for and also ask for detailed high resolution pictures of the radio. Ask if they can do on the air test.
These radios are very reliable and built well. They are still manufactured in Japan. You are not buying an Elecraft or MFJ product after all. I would personally wait another month and buy new at a possibly discounted price.
Having optional filters is nice too. Don't buy a SSB filter as it makes very little difference but an optional 300Hz CW filter does an amazing job.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

THanks, I had checked out the guys shack, on qrz, he had and exceptionally well organized space, extremely clean desktop and setup. There were numerous photos of his equipment, I doubt dust has a long lifespan in his place, he has it as his basestation. The radio had 3 months left of warranty. about a hundred bucks off a new one.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:29:08 AM EDT
[#15]
I bought my 857used for $550 off of QRZ that was 5 yrs ago.  Still running strong.  You can find deals.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:39:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I bought my 857used for $550 off of QRZ that was 5 yrs ago.  Still running strong.  You can find deals.
View Quote

Yup paid 450 for my 897, it was "broken" the lead to the HF connector was intermittent. 30 seconds of soldering and its been fine since.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:39:14 AM EDT
[#17]
I have only bought two used rigs, both off of QTH.

A 7200 and an 857D, both have been excellent, and both were very reasonably priced.

But with only a sampling of two, you takes your chances. But I have been very happy.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:18:04 PM EDT
[#18]
http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?454628-Yaesu-897D-MFJ949E-Tuner
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:01:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

THanks, I had checked out the guys shack, on qrz, he had and exceptionally well organized space, extremely clean desktop and setup. There were numerous photos of his equipment, I doubt dust has a long lifespan in his place, he has it as his basestation. The radio had 3 months left of warranty. about a hundred bucks off a new one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's your money. I've been burned buying used equipment and decided it's worth a little extra money to buy new. I'm not rich enough to buy cheap or used sh*t.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:05:13 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Prices may drop even more when the FT-991 becomes available.
View Quote
+1

I have a barely used FT-897D with MH-59A, FP-30B, and 2.0kHz SSB and 500Hz CW Collins filters in a Pelican case that I see depreciating very quickly as soon as the FT-991 comes out.  However, I plan to keep it is I consider it a capital asset fully paid off.  Still I am sure there will be quite a few people dumping the 897's to get the newer rig.  I may wait three or so years for the FT-991 design to settle out before jumping at one assuming they still sell it.  I recall the FT-920 and FT-847 came out, eying them, and suddenly they were replaced.  The FT-897 has been a Yaesu mainstay for a long time.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:36:01 AM EDT
[#21]
A few years ago, I bought the 897 (non-d) at a hamfest, with the ft-897 tuner for $500.  The CAT port was shot, and yaesu said the VFO was skipping (though I didn't notice that).  Sent it back to them for repair.  Added the TCXO, and SSB filters to it.  I still have less than $900 into it, works well as my field rig.  Used it for field day this year.

Deals can be had, but most used ham gear goes for 80-90% of new price for some reason.  My rule of thumb, is my total price won't be more than new, including a trip to the mfg for repair....maybe 2 trips, since you get no warranty used.  Take off more if it "looks" used.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top