Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2014 7:14:27 AM EDT
I had no idea there was such a thing.

http://www.qrz.com/db/K3K

Contacts will include a signal report and a three-letter abbreviation honoring a special feral cat listed here.  Duplicate QSOs are encouraged for all cat abbreviations:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/16/2014 7:28:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I had no idea there was such a thing.

http://www.qrz.com/db/K3K

Contacts will include a signal report and a three-letter abbreviation honoring a special feral cat listed here.  Duplicate QSOs are encouraged for all cat abbreviations:
View Quote

View Quote

When I get home from work, I will devote myself to getting as much "Feral Cat" as I can.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 10:08:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Has it been a year already???  Time sure flies.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 10:52:34 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a feral cat.  My advice - get something that's been socialized.  We've had her for 8 years, she's still useless as a pet.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 10:59:05 AM EDT
[#4]
The irony.  The 2AM wakeup of a couple ferals fighting outside the bedroom window made me want to reach out and touch them with something more than a ham radio.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 11:38:13 AM EDT
[#5]

cheers to the wild pussies out there
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 1:18:05 PM EDT
[#6]
me and my 22cal air gun are doing our best to fix this.. asap
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 4:34:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
me and my 22cal air gun are doing our best to fix this.. asap
View Quote

boo this man
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 8:01:47 PM EDT
[#8]
feral cats... hmm, reminds me of a couple of my exs
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 8:29:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Feral cat colonies can be a problem. Having spent years in cat rescue let me offer a couple suggestions.

- Spay / neuter your pet. Just because Tom ain't knocking up anything in the house doesn't mean he ain't hitting that Persian a block over.

- TNR. Trap Neuter Release. This method of feral colony control works very well and is humane. How this works is that traps such as Havaheart are set out with tuna as bait. A cat will sell its soul for tuna. Set out as many as possible. Wait overnight. Early the next morning retrieve the traps and bring them to the vet. There they are spayed or neutered. To mark that the cat is sterile a portion of an ear is cut off. This is a nationwide sign to animal control authorities and to animal rescue groups. That evening the cats are released at the same location where they were trapped from.

Average lifespan of a feral cat is 7 years. Between the hard lifestyle, predators, and lack of medical care that's what your going to get. Fluffy at home can easily double that. In doing a TNR to a feral colony you will see a reduction of the colony size in less than 6 months. Give it a couple years and you're down to a fraction of what it was before.

I've been on several TNR expeditons. (Great way to meet chicks by the way.) We have a relationship with LSU veterinary where when the students are at the point of doing their first surgeries we do the trapping. All the practice patients are ferals. Students get to practice the veterinary art, we get free spay/neuters. Win all around.

Plug yourself into the local rescue groups for more information on TNR.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 8:37:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have a feral cat.  My advice - get something that's been socialized.  We've had her for 8 years, she's still useless as a pet.
View Quote
Truth.

From the time kittens are weaned you have about a 4 week window. Get them within that window and they can be socialized and become your friend for life. Outside that window and they will become feral. The longer the time the more feral they become. It will get to the point in a short period of time that they will never become socialized and are useless as a pet. At 6 months of age it's a lost cause.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 9:07:23 PM EDT
[#11]
In remembrance of all the Silent Kitties
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 11:26:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
- TNR. Trap Neuter Release. This method of feral colony control works very well and is humane. How this works is that traps such as Havaheart are set out with tuna as bait. A cat will sell its soul for tuna. Set out as many as possible. Wait overnight. Early the next morning retrieve the traps and bring them to the vet. There they are spayed or neutered. To mark that the cat is sterile a portion of an ear is cut off. This is a nationwide sign to animal control authorities and to animal rescue groups. That evening the cats are released at the same location where they were trapped from.
View Quote

If we realized how many millions of native songbirds, rabbits, squirrels, etc., that are killed by feral cats each year, we would T/E... trap/euthanize. I like the native wildlife, and will not tolerate feral cats. After all, that's why God invented 30-round magazines.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 11:58:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

From the time kittens are weaned you have about a 4 week window.
View Quote

No doubt.   I have a pair I brought in at the ragged edge of that timeline.   When we moved here, mother (she was obviously abandoned, not feral) and litter were living in a storage shed and one by one they were being picked off by predators until these two were the last ones.   Its kind of funny, when I brought them in they took to the dogs real quick, and to me because I have handled them a lot - but they will hide from other people until they have been around for a certain amount of time, there is no imprint telling them that people are OK (and goodness knows there is no good reason that should come naturally to them).

But they are fun cats, each has his own games he likes to play and of course they are very attached to one another.

I have had them for about a year now and they are fat & happy.    They are well settled so I have tried to experiment with letting them go out, but they just sit in the doorway and look, and they refuse to go outside.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 9:35:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

If we realized how many millions of native songbirds, rabbits, squirrels, etc., that are killed by feral cats each year, we would T/E... trap/euthanize. I like the native wildlife, and will not tolerate feral cats. After all, that's why God invented 30-round magazines.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lubbock has a ton of them…Tunces just loves the suppressed 300 BLK with subs. Cashes in all 9 in a matter of seconds. Handy when they are on the dumpster because they fall right in.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 4:30:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

all of those creatures are inferior to cats, and get justly dominated

damn forgot my rabbit persona again
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top