Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2014 6:55:56 PM EDT
so I found this thread in SD
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/677023_Survival___Communication_.html

and I'm intrigued at the mention of these "Tait" repeaters....found an old thread about them from 2010 as well
http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=10&f=22&t=632590

EXPY37 seems to be the pro on these, so I'm gonna invite him to enlighten us
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:17:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
so I found this thread in SD
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/677023_Survival___Communication_.html

and I'm intrigued at the mention of these "Tait" repeaters....found an old thread about them from 2010 as well
http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=10&f=22&t=632590

EXPY37 seems to be the pro on these, so I'm gonna invite him to enlighten us
View Quote

Good--- you started a thread so we all can share.

Where would you like to start?

There's a LOT of info in my two [and I think there are others] threads, so, I'd like not to rehash what's already been mentioned.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:06:47 PM EDT
[#2]
well, as I read through what is already posted,  It seems to me that these are super-simple repeaters to build.
I check the 'bay and see some UHF and VHF modules.  I curious just what one'd need and would what is avail on 'bay now work for a smallish portable/emer repeater.

ex: UHF
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:43:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
well, as I read through what is already posted,  It seems to me that these are super-simple repeaters to build.
I check the 'bay and see some UHF and VHF modules.  I curious just what one'd need and would what is avail on 'bay now work for a smallish portable/emer repeater.

ex: UHF
View Quote

There are 3 vintages of the Tait radios.

The first uses ~$20 xtals from best place, International Crystal.

The second line uses a burned EPROM to control the synthesizer. These are my preference.

The 3rd vintage uses a PC to pgm via a simple cable and a RJ6 jack on the front panel of the modules.

Sign up to the Yahoo Group if seriously interested and look at their files and pictures.

[Can you sign up to Yahoo w/out giving them a phone number or some sort of commo device -it's looks like to me... Anyone know?]

I'll post a link to a Tait manual in a moment. That's the place along with the Yahoo Group, to begin.

As well as defining your objective ---to have the motivation to proceed.

Also Google Tait receiver and transmitter and look at the Google Images for familiarity.

Here's a link

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:40:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Almost reminds me of building them out of GE MVP's (I picked up 10 for $20 today).
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 2:23:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Almost reminds me of building them out of GE MVP's (I picked up 10 for $20 today).
View Quote

Master II here
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 9:16:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Master II here
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Master II here

I didn't say I didn't have a couple of those sitting on my back patio…there was a guy practically giving away low band Mastr II's at Belton this weekend.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 6:05:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 6:27:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
EXPY:

I have a few questions after reading your archived thread and following the one in SF:

1) What is an exciter module? Is it the same as the Transmitter?

2) Is the speaker module needed. For example could I start with a Tx and Rx modules and add it later?

3) You mentioned getting crystals for Series 1 units. Is that instead of an EEPROM? I think a hardwired unit (no PC required) would fit better for my needs.

4) How far apart will I need to separate the antennas (assume they are both on the same band) as I'd like to make the duplexer a later addition?

5) Is the power output programmable? I'm hoping via DIP switches? Or do I look for a "30W" Tx module?

6) Where do I find that power connector I see on the back (under the antenna connector)?

I'll assume I don't need their chassis and I'm free to build my own - just got to find where to wire in the 12v on that  connector.
View Quote

Good questions Forest!

1. E-M, it's about a 2 watt module that drives a second power amplifier module.

It's useful for a low power repeater/transmitter by itself.

2. Use any speaker lying around

3. You know, the cost of crystals is trivial as is often the cost of the modules. I see no negative issue cutting your teeth on the 300 series and learning.

Programing an EPROM is pretty simple too and the 800 series modules have a little more performance and refinement, just the natural evolution of design iterations.

I have no issue with either but have experience with just the 800 Series 1.

I've collected lots of the 300 and Series 1 modules, on VHF, UHF and 800 mhz.

4. If you run low power and the freq separation is say 3, 4, or 5 MHz, 20 feet might be enough. Fine to get started...

Remember the old Expy saying...

"It doesn't matter WHERE you start, it's that you get STARTED!"

5.Yes, it's just an adjustment.

6. It's a couple pins of that common DB16 or whatever connector that costs a few cents...

7.No 'rack' is needed. The modules can lie on a table and be connected with a couple wires and use independent power supplies.

Look in any of the Series manuals at the repeater hookups and the audio transformer built into every receiver that allows such great versatility.

The place to start for someone with serious motivation is to study and read the receiver manual, first, like the ones on Repeater Builder.

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 6:35:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 6:59:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
One more question if you don't mind.

Do you buy from overseas often?  I'm noting I can find complete 300 series repeaters in the UK (though they are priced in those pesky pounds )
View Quote

Buy locally, including on ebay. There are/were [before this thread] modules there for almost nothing... Look at the completed auctions for an indication of going prices...

DON'T buy from a commercial outfit unless you don't mind being as---- rap---d...

Don't be in a rush...

Tait equipment is used around the world incl the US.

Link Posted: 10/14/2014 1:32:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 1:54:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Can one use a 300 series transmitter with an 800 series receiver?
View Quote

I think the 3 wires needed to interconnect to make a repeater are the same.

The manuals are very detailed in this regard.

The beauty of Tait equipment is the engineers thought things out for commonality and common sense, not the way, say Motorola, gets marketing involved to make things difficult and complex as hell, with a zillion options, sometimes.

Most of the options are in the modules from the git-go, probably because of the world wide market for Tait products, where time and distance are great and there is little local support.

As is through and readily available documentation.

Expy/who cut his teeth on Motorola...

Link Posted: 10/14/2014 2:32:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 3:49:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Look what came in the mail while I was away.....

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:15:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:18:32 PM EDT
[#17]
going for a few open ended options (get both)
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:02:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:15:00 PM EDT
[#19]
2 of the 345/52 RX and 2 of the 346/52 TX
also some N connectors and what appear to be some interconnecting cables as well.
Packed VERY well, shipped from Alaska!  Purchased from Ebay. Seller ID: alaskaradio
In other words, I'm not really sure what I have but a box full'a UHF stuff
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:36:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
also some N connectors and what appear to be some interconnecting cables as well.
Packed VERY well, shipped from Alaska!  Purchased from Ebay. Seller ID: alaskaradio
View Quote

All the manuals for your radios are on the Yahoo Tait Group and lot's of knowledgeable folks.

Repeater builder has a section on Tait.

International Crystal is the place to get the best crystals, abt 25 bucks ea.

Your radios probably have ovens, at least for the transmitter.

I was just looking at my Tait 'inventory'  today and I think I have collected the same radios, except in VHF, not sure abt UHF. I have an interesting ap for a VHF receiver coming up.

You need some female DB15 connectors, Radio Shack or ebay.

You can power up a radio with just a couple wires into one of these conx, +12. gnd, spkr out, for example and test on the freq they are on now if they still have xtals installed.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:44:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ICM is the only manufacturer in the US. I contacted Bomar the other week, they no longer make radio crystals. Which sucks because their crystals were $15 a piece where ICMs are $25 a piece (I've got 3 or 4 Custom MVP projects coming up).
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:46:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

ICM is the only manufacturer in the US. I contacted Bomar the other week, they no longer make radio crystals. Which sucks because their crystals were $15 a piece where ICMs are $25 a piece (I've got 3 or 4 Custom MVP projects coming up).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, but Bomar was iffy. So was JAN, and all the rest. I gave up on them many years ago.

Intl Xtal has been top drawer since I started buying xtals, a long time ago. Besides, I know the owner.  

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:50:57 AM EDT
[#23]
All the manuals for your radios are on the Yahoo Tait Group and lot's of knowledgeable folks.
View Quote

I've snagged a few from the dk site too, off to dig around moar
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 2:03:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yep, used to be a member there...

I've got a lot simply by going to Google and typing in "Tait Txxx PDF"

There's a ton out there. Again I'm primarily familiar with the first gen of the 800 series.

Repeater Builder has a nice introduction to Tait and the history, etc.

Do you have a sig generator, power meter in the 5 to 50 watt range at UHF, and a frequency counter?

If not do you want to acquire them?

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 2:14:45 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a meter, the others I'll have to acquire or borrow
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 2:26:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have a meter, the others I'll have to acquire or borrow
View Quote

If you decide to buy, I can direct you to deals. There are some fantastic ones out there on ebay. It seems few have the motivation or knowledge to use them any more.

If you can borrow, that's probably the best.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:09:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:12:55 PM EDT
[#28]
charged me $48....looks like it actually cost him $58 (OUCH)
packed like a MOFO though!
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:55:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
charged me $48....looks like it actually cost him $58 (OUCH)
packed like a MOFO though!
View Quote

That's a deal at $12 a radio...

Link Posted: 11/2/2014 9:01:14 AM EDT
[#30]
needing to get around to applying for the licenses...appears to be pretty open around here regarding others that I can find (no licenses in my Zip Code )
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top