Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2014 12:19:00 AM EDT
I am looking for a power supply for my 2 meter setup, and I came across this:
http://www.cheapham.com/products/Jetstream-JTPS14BCM.html

The built in charger/battery input is a pretty cool feature, and I have a bank of batteries ready to take advantage of this. Can anyone comment on the quality of jetstream PSUs? It seems too cheap to be true.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:44:34 AM EDT
[#1]
well it is the same price as the micro MFJ I bought for the AK47 box...and it has moar features.
The 14a Max output may cause you trouble on High Power X-mit but you didn't say which rig you were planning to use.
I've never seen this particular unit, so I must say I'm intrigued...3.3 outta 5 on eham
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:16:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
well it is the same price as the micro MFJ I bought for the AK47 box...and it has moar features.
The 14a Max output may cause you trouble on High Power X-mit but you didn't say which rig you were planning to use.
I've never seen this particular unit, so I must say I'm intrigued...3.3 outta 5 on eham
View Quote

I love eHam evaluations, they are almost schizophrenic in their variation.  A "3 outta 5" means half the reviewers gave it a 5 and the other half gave it a 1.  I like the guy who gave it a 3 with this description:

"After about a minute, I heard a loud explosion (loud enough to scare my neighbor’s dog) from the unit. Still the pilot light was ON and radio started to 'humm'. Before I can switch off the unit, another explosion occurred, which sacred me to death."

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:59:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Get a linear supply. Most switch mode power supplies have internal cooling fans and they can be very noisy and annoying.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:18:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Get a linear supply. Most switch mode power supplies have internal cooling fans and they can be very noisy and annoying.
View Quote

There is a volume adjust knob right on front, if it's too loud just turn it down!
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:27:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

There is a volume adjust knob right on front, if it's too loud just turn it down!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I saw that too and thought who in the hell made this and labeled the voltage adjust as volume adjust!  Evidently someone who didn't know that decades worth of US consumer gear had a control labeled VOL for volume!

Does it speak volumes about the quality, or just the designers unfamiliarity with English?  I don't know but I would buy something a step or two above that for not a whole lot more money.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:02:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Who said Volume Adjust?

VOLTAGE
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:11:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The 14a Max output may cause you trouble on High Power X-mit but you didn't say which rig you were planning to use. [/url]
View Quote

I plan on using it with an icom 2300h. When I get an HF rig I'll pickup a linear power supply for sure.  My thoughts with this jetstream is that it could be relegated permenantyl to the ecomm box I am building once I have a better stationary PSU.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:44:45 AM EDT
[#8]
that makes sense to me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top