Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2014 7:53:40 PM EDT
I'm losing my 43' vertical.

So I would really like directional gain on my next antenna. I will probably put up a dipole to be more rounded but I was thinking of a 20m and possibly a 20m/40 yahi. I have a 65' tower give or take (measured with a clinometer I haven't taped it yet). The band with the most DX contacts I have had has been 20m which is pretty obvious. I won't have to place the antenna while climbing. I'll do all the pre work climbing but the actual antenna will either be put up with a boom lift or I'll get the company that puts up our stuff at work to come lift it for me. They owe me lots of favors for covering up minor boo boos before they become  major ones.

Plus I'll only be at this locatioin a maximum of 3 days a week so no nightly just checking to see what's going on type of deals.

So far I've only really had eham reviews to go off of.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:55:08 PM EDT
[#1]
How much money can I convince you to spend?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:07:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I haven't really sat down and thought about it which is why I am looking for opinions. But a not insignificant amount would be my best guess. It's amazing how much money you can put away while getting paid not to work for 7 months. Off the top of my head I'm saving $1000 per month in gas plus $2900 month in insurance I thought I was going to have to pay before the company decided to pick it up.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:11:40 PM EDT
[#3]
This is on my short list if I ever move.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:22:00 PM EDT
[#4]
That was one that I had looked at several times.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:34:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That was one that I had looked at several times.
View Quote

I have a friend who has that antenna. It's really cool. Otherwise, you could get a tri-bander and a 40m yagi. But then you wouldn't have 6m or the WARC bands.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:51:53 PM EDT
[#6]
How sturdy is this tower?  A SteppIR would be fun, but big aluminum would be fun too.  48' boom, 276 lbs, and about 28 SF wind load!  http://www.mosley-electronics.com/pages/amateur/pro96s.htm
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:12:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Why are you losing your vertical?

And...

Tennadyne log periodic!!! The big one that goes down to 40M
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:14:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
How sturdy is this tower?  A SteppIR would be fun, but big aluminum would be fun too.  48' boom, 276 lbs, and about 28 SF wind load!  http://www.mosley-electronics.com/pages/amateur/pro96s.htm
View Quote

I believe that is what Gyprat has in the works.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:27:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Only good for 600w RTTY
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:35:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Mosley Pro96 will require a heavy duty tower and a rotator. I'm currently working on installing a Mosley Pro67b. It covers 40-10 meters including WARC bands.
OP, what kind of tower do you have? This will determine your antenna selection limitations.
BTW, SteppIR are nice antennas but they are a pain it the arse to assemble and to service. A friend of mine bought and installed their biggest "Dream Beam" antenna on his 100 ft free-standing tower. It took him 3 weeks to assemble it. He also replaced some hardware because it was way undersized. It works great and he is very happy with it's performance and versatility but he questions long term reliability of the antenna. It's got 300+ parts and anything can go wrong. Luckily he can afford to replace it if needed.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:10:49 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote

Sturdy enough I suppose. It's survived a direct hit of Katrina and if needed I could replace it since we have no codes here and I work for a structural engineer as a deisnger and we commonly reinforce much larger structures and have the field work guys to do it. Also if it were to fall nothing is in the path including the house lol.

I believe it's RG 45 and was at one time about double the current height but when cable became available here they took down the top half of the tower.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:12:49 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Why are you losing your vertical?

And...

Tennadyne log periodic!!! The big one that goes down to 40M
View Quote

The 43' vertical was put up at my mom and dads house while I was recovering. I'm moving on so now it will be my moms antenna and my radio as well. She gets a turn key rig.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:17:58 PM EDT
[#13]
A quick look at this says the Pro 96-S would be right at or above the limit of a 60 or 70' Rohn 45G.

http://www.rohnnet.com/rohn-45g-tower

That's also a crazy huge antenna, no need to go that big unless you really want to.  You'd be a 1%er for sure!
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:22:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks, probably not since I didn't put up the antenna and I really don't want to mess with putting up another tower right now. Even tho I'm off of work till January I'm still on call 24/7 until then. People can't seem to break anything on a schedule.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:30:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
This is on my short list if I ever move.
View Quote

Once I buy my property I'm getting a MonstIR. Even if I means I have to live in my truck for an extra year
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:33:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Practically, a 3 element tri-bander will give
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:33:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Sturdy enough I suppose. It's survived a direct hit of Katrina and if needed I could replace it since we have no codes here and I work for a structural engineer as a deisnger and we commonly reinforce much larger structures and have the field work guys to do it. Also if it were to fall nothing is in the path including the house lol.

I believe it's RG 45 and was at one time about double the current height but when cable became available here they took down the top half of the tower.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mosley Pro67b will work great at 65' and your tower will handle it, providing that it's guyed at 30 and 60 ft. They are heavy duty antennas and assembly is very easy. Everything is pre-drilled and color coded. Mosley support and technical assistance are outstanding.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:33:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Double post. Darn tablet gizmo.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:18:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Click here: http://www.hamuniverse.com/n4jaantennabook.html

Scroll down to section XV and read up on Yagi antennas and gain. It could save you some money by keeping you from going past the point of diminishing returns.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top