Currently awash in thunderstorms.
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 6:59:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M4Madness] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Emoto:
Currently awash in thunderstorms.
View Quote

Fun, isn't it?

I've had a crappy noise floor for days, which is unusual. We've had storms, but it's been sunny and dry today. I just want a quiet band.

I just heard TF3XO from Iceland on 14.217. I worked him recently.
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 7:35:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By M4Madness:

Fun, isn't it?

I've had a crappy noise floor for days, which is unusual. We've had storms, but it's been sunny and dry today. I just want a quiet band.

I just heard TF3XO from Iceland on 14.217. I worked him recently.
View Quote

We're supposed to get the storms tonight and tomorrow.  They changed the forecast once already though, it was last night and all day today and tomorrow.  What it means is they are guessing.

No matter, I unhooked my coax at the antenna last night, coiled it up, and threw it in the basement.  Now if the antenna gets hit I get a new antenna but saved 100' of LMR400.
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 9:25:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey! A couple of you guys have worked Tajikistan.

How are your efforts on QSL working out?
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 9:52:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By piccolo:
Hey! A couple of you guys have worked Tajikistan.

How are your efforts on QSL working out?
View Quote

Mine are zero percent ;)
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 10:02:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M4Madness] [#7]
I just worked EY7AD in Tajikistan on 14.196 MHz as my 100th DX! (Not all confirmed yet.)
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 11:04:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I had to work very hard at it, but I got A41NN in Oman a few minutes ago on 14.216. I had to repeat my call sign about a half dozen times, since he kept messing it up. I knew he had it right when he  called me Albert, which was the guy who had my call sign before me.
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 2:55:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I just worked EY7AD in Tajikistan on 14.196 MHz as my 100th DX! (Not all confirmed yet.)
View Quote

Let me know how you make out.

Link Posted: 7/18/2021 6:03:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Let me know how you make out.
View Quote

Will do, but I'm not holding my breath.

TK4TH in Corsica on 14.172. I had a QSO with her in the past.
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 6:21:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 8:50:28 PM EDT
[#12]
EY7AD from Tajikistan is back on 14.198.80
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 11:51:43 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote

Confirmation is interesting.

If the QSO is with some poor slob that pushes a broom for a living it will generally come back FAST.

If the guy is a gazillionaire it will come back fast.

It's the upper upper middle lower upper class that always wants to talk but doesn't like to QSL that sucks out loud for some reason.

I remember my last one for WAS. I sent three cards over a couple of months for the same QSO explaining I was working for an award.

Then I got his address off of the Zed and started digging. The guy had a couple of spendy boats, TWO airplanes and beaucoup toys. He could have used his secretary as a QSL manager if he wanted to but I lost hope and found some other guy in his state on a ham forum. He booted up his rig instantly and BAM! QSO! My card arrived 3 days later.

A few months down the road the one I had asked for 3 times finally arrived.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 3:21:51 AM EDT
[#14]

Confirmation is interesting.

If the QSO is with some poor slob that pushes a broom for a living it will generally come back FAST.

If the guy is a gazillionaire it will come back fast.

It's the upper upper middle lower upper class that always wants to talk but doesn't like to QSL that sucks out loud for some reason.

I remember my last one for WAS. I sent three cards over a couple of months for the same QSO explaining I was working for an award.

Then I got his address off of the Zed and started digging. The guy had a couple of spendy boats, TWO airplanes and beaucoup toys. He could have used his secretary as a QSL manager if he wanted to but I lost hope and found some other guy in his state on a ham forum. He booted up his rig instantly and BAM! QSO! My card arrived 3 days later.

A few months down the road the one I had asked for 3 times finally arrived.
View Quote

Sorry, I was kinda busy
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 12:17:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Brundoggie:

Sorry, I was kinda busy
View Quote

@Brundoggie

YOU have nothing to apologize for at all! Nothin'! Nada! Nada damned thing!

Your QSL came in rather quickly IIRC and you're often out of town in Outer Slobovia and other exotic places and it's more than fair enough to have to wait until you get home to QSL.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 5:20:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Just got Z81B in Sudan on 14.197
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 6:31:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Just got Z81B in Sudan on 14.197
View Quote

I could hear something that MIGHT have been a voice, and then of course everyone trying to get him. No bueno for me.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 6:44:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M4Madness] [#18]

I could hear something that MIGHT have been a voice, and then of course everyone trying to get him. No bueno for me.
View Quote

He has very quiet voice. You might try BR1AK in Guyana on 14.260.  Just make sure it is him, as CT3IQ is using the same frequency.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 6:52:58 PM EDT
[#19]

He has very quiet voice. You might try BR1AK in Guyana on 14.260.  Just make sure it is him, as CT3IQ is using the same frequency.
View Quote

Yeah, marginally better, but not so good that I thought a QSO was possible. Oh well. I will run back through the band again after a while. A lot of the usual suspects are on.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 8:14:56 PM EDT
[#20]
14.270 W4C special event for Cuban awareness.

https://sites.google.com/view/soscubahamradio/home
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 8:04:18 PM EDT
[#21]
YI3WHR in Iraq on 14.250, but I can't hear shit.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 9:07:01 PM EDT
[#22]
JW0W in Svalbard on 14.241. He's running split and listening 5 up on 14.246

Team of 6 operators from LA will activate Prins Karls Forland island which is part of EU-063 Svalbard's Coastal Islands in July 2021 (20 yrs since this island was activated). One week tent and generator trip.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 6:04:01 AM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

If you got them at 9PM eastern, then I've got a shot at getting them! How bad was the pile-up?
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 6:44:16 AM EDT
[#24]

If you got them at 9PM eastern, then I've got a shot at getting them! How bad was the pile-up?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I have no idea, since I couldn't hear the frequency he was listening to. All jokes, aside, I had him within a half dozen tries -- so a couple of minutes perhaps. I did hear the occasional person calling on the transmit frequency -- and the other hams informing each that the DX was "listening up". A couple of those hams went overboard, going beyond being helpful and instead being berating, and words were exchanged a couple of times.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 6:48:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Emoto] [#25]

I have no idea, since I couldn't hear the frequency he was listening to. All jokes, aside, I had him within a half dozen tries -- so a couple of minutes perhaps. I did hear the occasional person calling on the transmit frequency -- and the other hams informing each that the DX was "listening up". A couple of those hams went overboard, going beyond being helpful and instead being berating, and words were exchanged a couple of times.
View All Quotes

Well, I will see if they are on tonight after work. Last night, I had a company thing with free food and drink and I stayed there much too long, so no radio yesterday.

ETA: I'll read up on split operation; haven't done that yet.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 8:15:33 AM EDT
[#26]
It's really simple on the IC-7300. Set the VFO to the frequency you hear the station calling on, then press the "Split" button. Then press and HOLD the "XFC" button while turning the VFO to the frequency that the station is listening to.

To cancel, simply press the "Split button.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 10:10:15 AM EDT
[#27]

I did hear the occasional person calling on the transmit frequency -- and the other hams informing each that the DX was "listening up". A couple of those hams went overboard, going beyond being helpful and instead being berating, and words were exchanged a couple of times.
View Quote

An honest mistake is an honest mistake. Someone tells you that you are fucking up and you stop. That's one thing.

But to be so ignorant and just plain stupid as to ignore what you have been told and continue to ruin things and make life miserable for everyone else is another thing entirely.

A couple of times I have made the annoyance go away by acting like the DX station and giving him a 5x9, making him happy and sending him on his way.  

I have emailed a couple of the offenders politely and either have gotten no answer or gotten a blast of shit in return.

Some ot the offenders are 'Mah frequency' types, also so fuck them.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 10:15:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Yeah, I can understand that if the station keeps repeatedly calling the DX after it being explained to them that the DX is listening 5 KHz and can't hear them. It would be very annoying. But, the ones I heard get chastised last night had only called a single time each.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 11:00:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Emoto] [#29]
It's really simple on the IC-7300. Set the VFO to the frequency you hear the station calling on, then press the "Split" button. Then press and HOLD the "XFC" button while turning the VFO to the frequency that the station is listening to.

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/22/2021 12:56:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Yeah, I can understand that if the station keeps repeatedly calling the DX after it being explained to them that the DX is listening 5 KHz and can't hear them. It would be very annoying. But, the ones I heard get chastised last night had only called a single time each.
View Quote

Probably honest mistakes. Some guy spinning the dial and heard some DX he wanted and jumped on it. I've done it and the instant I heard someone say 'listening up' I found the transmit frequency and set up for a split.

No reason to chastise an honest mistake. We save that for the idiots.

Link Posted: 7/22/2021 1:03:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Speaking of listening up, is there a "standard" distance that people usually use for that, or does it vary widely?
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 1:40:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Speaking of listening up, is there a "standard" distance that people usually use for that, or does it vary widely?
View Quote

They'll normally tell you, but it's usually 3-5 up. I've never encountered it, but I guess sometimes they change the listening frequency over a range and you just have to keep guessing where they are.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 6:57:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: piccolo] [#33]

They'll normally tell you, but it's usually 3-5 up. I've never encountered it, but I guess sometimes they change the listening frequency over a range and you just have to keep guessing where they are.
View Quote

For a really rare DXpedition I've seen listening 5-15 up.

A GOOD operator listening over a 5khz range goes up and down the range for every QSO he makes.

Also will end a QSO with "listening 5 up QRZed!"
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 7:21:22 PM EDT
[#34]

For a really rare DXpedition I've seen listening 5-15 up.

A GOOD operator listening over a 5khz range goes up and down the range for every QSO he makes.

Also will end a QSO with "listening 5 up QRZed!"
View Quote

That's the way I normally see it done.  The people listening should not have to guess what frequency to transmit on.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 9:16:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By SACraig:

That's the way I normally see it done.  The people listening should not have to guess what frequency to transmit on.
View Quote

Then there's the 'Piccolo mystery split'

Like the time I transmitted on 20 meters but was listening on 40.

"Listening on 40 meters. You figure it out."
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 9:19:42 PM EDT
[#36]

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/22/2021 9:48:56 PM EDT
[#37]

View Quote

At least you narrowed it down to 40 meters for them.  It could have been worse!
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 12:21:27 AM EDT
[#38]
JW0W has been jumping around the band all day.  Currently on 14.280/285.  He's fading in and out here and I haven't been able to make a contact yet.

Link Posted: 7/23/2021 12:29:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: piccolo] [#39]

View All Quotes

I actually stayed simplex and on frequency. I just said that to cut my pileup down to a managable number

I figure about a dozen IZs went looking for me on 40.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 1:10:49 AM EDT
[#40]
Got JW0W.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 1:50:38 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 5:02:52 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Clown_Gun:
Got JW0W.  
View Quote

Awesome!
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 6:09:42 AM EDT
[#43]
Got JW0W.  
View Quote

Fantastic!

He was pretty well buried in the noise for me, just on the wrong side of the edge of intelligibility when he was on 14.262/267. I listened for a while, hoping the band would improve, but then one of the Freqo Bandidos cut loose with a big fat signal right below and that was the end of that.

Ended up having a QSO with a guy in Ontario and we talked motorcycles for an hour, LOL.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 12:14:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Thanks!

When I first tuned in to his frequency I could just barely make out that there was a voice below all the noise.  After awhile I was able to make out the callsign and knew it was really him.  Many hours later the band improved enough that I started throwing out my callsign.  Took another hour or so before I got the response.  Gave a 57, got a 59 (I think he was giving everyone a 59!), and logged a new country.

Tried to get DL5RBW near the Munich Airport.  I think I was being heard, but just barely.  Tried for another hour or so before calling it a night.

Link Posted: 7/23/2021 12:36:45 PM EDT
[#45]

View Quote
This info came in handy for me last night, so, Thank You!

I've been using the DXLabs software which lets you double-click on an entry in the Spot Collector and it tunes the 7300 to that frequency/mode/split/etc., automatically (great feature!).  Last night, JW0W had shifted frequency slightly and Spot Collector hadn't updated so I used your quick & easy instructions to re-tune and was able to make that contact.

It took awhile for my dumb ass to get this software set up and running, and I'm still learning all the features, but the more I use it the more I like it, and the 7300!
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 12:54:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Got JW0W.  
View Quote

Very well done.  That's a good one to have.  There are a few resident hams there although I have no idea how many (edit: according to QRZ there are 109).  They do have a Radio Club there and a VHF repeater set up.

When I was first getting into ham radio one of my friends was doing the same thing.  We frequently discussed the far-off places we would love to work and Svalbard was always near the top of the list for some reason.  I'm not sure why, it's well down on the "Most Wanted" list, but for some reason it has always intrigued me.  I think a lot of it is that the island has always figured heavily in WWII novels by its former name of Spitsbergen and it's also high on the list of weird places I'd love to visit some day.

Regardless, you did good.  Take it as a win since there are a lot of guys still out there fighting for his attention.  Go back and listen to the pileup and tell yourself, "No thanks, I've already busted this one!"
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 2:50:59 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm always happy to make a new contact, especially when it takes some effort!  Frustrating at times, but it sure feels good when it happens.

But, to be honest, I originally wanted Svalbard because it's a location in a game I play on the laptop.

Link Posted: 7/23/2021 3:12:30 PM EDT
[#48]
This info came in handy for me last night, so, Thank You!
View Quote

You are very welcome. I'm glad I could help.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 3:17:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M4Madness] [#49]

We frequently discussed the far-off places we would love to work and Svalbard was always near the top of the list for some reason.
View Quote

I've only worked one other Svalbard station -- JW4GUA.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 4:27:01 PM EDT
[#50]

I've only worked one other Svalbard station -- JW4GUA.
View Quote

I've worked it 4 times (CWx2, SSB, FT4, no RTTY dang it!), the first in 1992 and the last a couple of months ago.  It was 1977 when my friend and I were talking about it so it took me a while ;)
Page / 59
Tacked DX Spotting Here (Page 24 of 59)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top