User Panel

Site Notices
Tacked DX Spotting Here (Page 22 of 59)
Page / 59
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 5:45:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By M4Madness:

I didn't get any QSO's tonight. I tried to get PJ2MAN in Curacao for probably an hour and gave up. I built a mast from chainlink fence top rail today and moved my dipole from the very leafy poplar tree and out into the open this evening before sunset. It's now more of an inverted-V. We'll see how it works. As for HC1MX, my QSO with him was confirmed on QRZ for sure, and maybe on LOTW and ClubLog as well. He'll get to you.

https://i.imgur.com/diJh7GB.jpg
View Quote

Having the antenna out in the open should be better, right?
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 6:17:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Emoto:

View Quote

I'm hoping. It was a little higher in elevation when up next to the house, but is still at the same height above ground. Surely it's better than being in a leafy tree with lots of foliage on its western side. Not to mention the trees about 15 yards to the east.
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 9:45:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SteelonSteel] [#3]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I didn't get any QSO's tonight. I tried to get PJ2MAN in Curacao for probably an hour and gave up. I built a mast from chainlink fence top rail today and moved my dipole from the very leafy poplar tree and out into the open this evening before sunset. It's now more of an inverted-V. We'll see how it works. As for HC1MX, my QSO with him was confirmed on QRZ for sure, and maybe on LOTW and ClubLog as well. He'll get to you.

https://i.imgur.com/diJh7GB.jpg

I had my OCFD strung between two trees.  I suspect I had some deafness begin once they leafed out this spring.  About that time I got my long run to my vertical done and began using that.  It is more in the open.  It doesn’t have 6m,....about my only sacrifice but I did pick up 80m albeit really narrow.  

It seems to work though,.   I got a bunch of 32’ radials and added 3 60’ and 3 70’ radials (it happens to be where the donor wire was cut in two) .  I seem to be getting out well.

ETA I think a wet leafed out tree from rain interferes much worse than a dry leafed out tree..
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 10:08:00 AM EDT
[#4]
So, looking for a way to measure antenna quality (aside from resonance). How would one do that? Tune in various beacons, note their S meter strength, then switch antennas and do the same? Or...?
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 11:07:22 AM EDT
[#5]
So, looking for a way to measure antenna quality (aside from resonance). How would one do that? Tune in various beacons, note their S meter strength, then switch antennas and do the same? Or...?
View Quote

sounds about right but even before that I would be searching the web for antenna reviews.  

Granted what may work for one might not work for another due to soil, topography, feedline issues/differences, and undiagnosed imperfections in set up.  

A lot of reviews that say x product didn’t deliver would make me pause on buying it.

Link Posted: 6/28/2021 11:08:10 AM EDT
[#6]
View Quote

Field strength meter or separate receiver is the old-school way.  I've read that a NanoVNA can be set up to measure / plot antenna performance but I haven't done it and don't know how to set it up.
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 12:40:54 PM EDT
[#7]
06/28/21 - 1636Z - 21.074mHz + 1747Hz received - FT8 mode - 5Z4VJ in Kenya
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 5:19:14 PM EDT
[#8]
14.278 OM3TWM Slovak Republic. Good strong signal.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 6:29:39 PM EDT
[#9]
06/29/21 - 2228Z - 14.259 - FY5FY - French Guiana - Not all that strong here and quite a pileup.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 7:56:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By SACraig:
06/29/21 - 2228Z - 14.259 - FY5FY - French Guiana - Not all that strong here and quite a pileup.
View Quote

I got him earlier tonight, as well as V44RR in St. Kitts & Nevis and OH8KXK in Finland. There is a trio of Kuwaitis running together on 14.200, but I couldn't break the pile-up.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 8:49:26 PM EDT
[#11]
EY7AD in Tajikistan on 14.199. I have storms coming in and a horrible noise floor all of the sudden, so no way I can get him tonight.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 11:06:31 PM EDT
[#12]

I got him earlier tonight, as well as V44RR in St. Kitts & Nevis and OH8KXK in Finland. There is a trio of Kuwaitis running together on 14.200, but I couldn't break the pile-up.
View Quote

I tried the V44 station earlier this evening but could barely hear him.  I turned off the DX cluster in my logbook and forgot about him.  Oh well, I worked it back when it was VP2K but it would have been nice to update it with the new prefix.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 5:23:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SACraig] [#13]
Not DX however there is a special event station on 14.319 mHz (N7GMH, Op Mike) for the Granite Mountain Hotshots a fire fighting team that had 19 of 20 members killed by a wildfire in Yarnell, AZ in 2013.  The movie "Only The Brave" is about them.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 6:50:47 PM EDT
[#14]
EY7AD in Tajikistan on 14.199. I have storms coming in and a horrible noise floor all of the sudden, so no way I can get him tonight.
View Quote

I see he will QSL with registered mail now.

It is probably the way to go now.

I played holy hell getting a card from him and had to cash in a lot of favors to get it done before he posted he QSLs on registered mail. He also sent about a half dozen other US ham's cards with mine and I sent them out to them.

I ran a quick check of several Tajikistani hams and their Zed pages lists NO email addresses.

Keep me posted on this one.

One other possibility. IIRC it's DHL* that has a return mailing gizmo that enables you to send something via DHL and they get a reply envelope with your card. It's the equivilent of as SASE and DHL delivers it.

*might be someone else.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 7:01:44 PM EDT
[#15]
I'll try for him if I see him another day. I only have an inverted-V for an antenna, so you just never know. My trick for DXing with it is to get the bearing from me to them from QRZ, then go out in the yard with a compass and turn my antenna broadside to that by pulling up two stakes.

Bad storms surrounding me tonight, so I have a horrible noise floor again. Time is running out before my Tennessee vacation Saturday. No HF from then until next Wednesday.
Link Posted: 7/2/2021 7:04:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Just worked 4X6HU in Israel on 14.164.
Link Posted: 7/2/2021 9:00:15 PM EDT
[#17]
EY7AD from Tajikistan is back on 14.198.60. I can't hear him well enough to risk calling him. Too much QSB.
Link Posted: 7/3/2021 8:23:12 PM EDT
[#18]
9Z4AH on 14.160 Trinidad & Tobago. No pile up yet.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 12:48:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 2:32:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 3:26:58 PM EDT
[#21]
When I sweep through 20M, there are always these spanish speaking guys around 14.280 and 14.270. Sounds like the same guys all the time, but maybe I am wrong. I don't think I hear a lot of station ID or anything. Anyone know what I am listening to?
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 3:59:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M4Madness] [#22]
They're always there and they're running some huge power. I think they tie it up 24 hours a day, as I've never heard anything but Spanish on that frequency. You can't even use adjoining frequencies due to the wide signals. I've never heard a single callsign -- maybe they're exempt.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 4:18:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Well, I guess they can do whatever is allowed in their QTH.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 10:08:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SteelonSteel] [#24]
ouch.....listening to gang rape of a English dx station on 14.320 MHz.

They’re barely letting the station talk.  I haven’t even picked up the English guy’s call sign in six minutes listening.  Everybody keeps talking over him trying to get him to respond.    You would think it was the king of England.  The gent said last call five minutes ago and they’re still throwing caalsigns out there.

I just came downstairs and picked up a Slovenian station I worked before .  14.236,   Also a Russian station on 14.258.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 8:05:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By SteelonSteel:

They’re barely letting the station talk.  I haven’t even picked up the English guy’s call sign in six minutes listening.  Everybody keeps talking over him trying to get him to respond.    You would think it was the king of England.  The gent said last call five minutes ago and they’re still throwing caalsigns out there.

I just came downstairs and picked up a Slovenian station I worked before .  14.236,   Also a Russian station on 14.258.
View Quote

It really shocks me how some of these people behave in pile-ups. I feel bad for the target stations.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 9:47:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SteelonSteel] [#26]

It really shocks me how some of these people behave in pile-ups. I feel bad for the target stations.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SteelonSteel:

I will never be a good contester as I am too polite, if I hear that kind of pile up I might call once after a CQ.   If I don’t make the cut, I jot down the freq and turn the dial.   I can check back later.   I have made enough QSOs that way without being pushy. ,

It is supposed to be relaxing and enjoyable for me, not some frenzied rat race.

On the plus side the station is getting as many contacts as he wants.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 10:00:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 10:57:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Yes, split mode would help immensely with pile-ups. I have no idea why all DX doesn't use it.

My wife and I just arrived at the summit of Mt. LeConte after a 4-hour hike. I'm really wishing I'd have brought something for SOTA.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 7:04:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Just got my second QSO with Iceland. This one was TF3XO on 14.205 MHz.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 7:13:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Just got L21RCA (Argentina) on 14.265. Nice signal.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 10:51:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Clown_Gun] [#31]
R5AJ (Russia) on 14.225 SSB
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 11:13:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Just got 9K2GT in Kuwait on 14.237.50
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 11:20:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Just worked an AZ station on 10 meters.  First one I've heard there in over a month.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 11:27:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Clown_Gun:
Just worked an AZ station on 10 meters.  First one I've heard there in over a month.
View Quote

What are we doing up so late? LOL! I just missed a Qatar station on 20M SSB. He complained of QSB and said he was heading for FT8 instead.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 11:33:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Clown_Gun] [#35]

What are we doing up so late? LOL! I just missed a Qatar station on 20M SSB. He complained of QSB and said he was heading for FT8 instead.
View Quote
It's only 8:30pm here!  Seems like I've got solid static on all the bands.  Not hearing much of anything else and almost no DX.

eta: I could hear a station in KY, but not the station in Kuwait City that he was talking to.
eta2: Screw it.  Can only listen to white noise for so long.. Calling it an early night.
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 4:20:02 PM EDT
[#36]
HZ1LG in Saudi Arabia on 14.236. I got him a couple of weeks ago.
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 4:49:22 PM EDT
[#37]
HA2KMR in Hungary on 14.205.30
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 4:55:47 PM EDT
[#38]
SB6A in Sweden on 14.221
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 6:19:04 PM EDT
[#39]
EA9ACE from Ceuta & Melilla on 14.288
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 11:48:19 PM EDT
[#40]
KL7WG on 14.245 for those of you seeking Akaska.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 12:52:01 AM EDT
[#41]
Between insomnia and stomach troubles, I had a hell of a time getting any sleep last night.  Been trying to stay awake at work the whole shift.

Turned on the radio about 3:30am and managed a contact to Japan (my first).
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 1:54:06 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 6:08:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SACraig] [#43]
Between insomnia and stomach troubles, I had a hell of a time getting any sleep last night.  Been trying to stay awake at work the whole shift.

View Quote

That's a good time for that part of the world when the band is open like it was today.  I got up for a little while about that same time (0700Z - 0730Z) and worked 3 Australian stations and 2 Japanese stations on FT8.  One of the Japanese stations was a Tokyo Olympics Special Event Station (8N0OLP).
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 9:18:13 AM EDT
[#44]
View Quote

Congratulations! I've never even heard a Japanese station before. Sorry to hear about your other issues.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 10:32:09 AM EDT
[#45]

Congratulations! I've never even heard a Japanese station before. Sorry to hear about your other issues.
View Quote

I flipped on the radio the other morning around 6AM eastern and heard a station from Australia and another from Japan engaged in QSOs, but they were so close to being at the noise level that I didn't try to make contact. I was unsure that I would be able to catch all they said if they even heard me.

I also happened across the end of one of your QSOs the other night on 20M I think, as you told someone about where someone honeymooned. I thought "wait a minute, I know that call sign!" and looked at your QSL card to confirm. I almost reached out, but it seemed like you were off after that.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 11:21:24 AM EDT
[#46]
I also happened across the end of one of your QSOs the other night on 20M I think, as you told someone about where someone honeymooned. I thought "wait a minute, I know that call sign!" and looked at your QSL card to confirm. I almost reached out, but it seemed like you were off after that.
View Quote

Yes, the guy was in New Jersey and said that his parents were married in Bloomington, IN, which is about 20 minutes north of me. Get this -- I apparently wrote his callsign down wrong. He is the only QSO that I've not logged. I tried every combination I could and never found a callsign in my search that matched his first name (he never gave me his last name.)
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 11:30:23 AM EDT
[#47]

Yes, the guy was in New Jersey and said that his parents were married in Bloomington, IN, which is about 20 minutes north of me. Get this -- I apparently wrote his callsign down wrong. He is the only QSO that I've not logged. I tried every combination I could and never found a callsign in my search that matched his first name (he never gave me his last name.)
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/10/2021 12:13:39 PM EDT
[#48]
9A0HQ Croatia 14.220
OF2HQ Finland 14.282
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 12:33:15 PM EDT
[#49]

View Quote
Thanks.  I had to smile when he called me by name and added -san to the end.  There was another JA station I wanted to try but he was fading so badly I didn't bother.

Link Posted: 7/10/2021 1:20:49 PM EDT
[#50]
9A0HQ Croatia 14.220
OF2HQ Finland 14.282
View Quote

Not hearing those at my QTH in WA.  But I just made my first contact with Florida on 14.200 so maybe conditions will improve before I have to head out to work.
Page / 59
Tacked DX Spotting Here (Page 22 of 59)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top