BCM
User Panel

Tacked DX Spotting Here (Page 21 of 59)
Page / 59
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 6:29:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Clown_Gun:
Just picked up S57DX in Slovenia on 14.233 SSB.  He's calling CQ and coming in loud to WA.
View Quote

I just checked my log and I worked him on 11/29/1992 in the 1992 CQ WW DX CW contest so he's been around for a while.
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 8:59:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RED_5] [#2]
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 9:15:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By RED_5:
I was out field testing my portable setup.. G90 @20w into a WRC SOTA

Heard some big stations with massive pileups, they were 59 here in CO

OL5ZDJ 14.263  (Czech Republic)
EA3JE  14.225  (Barcelona Spain)
V31SA  14.190  (Belize)
IU1NKS 14.203 (Italy)
VA7JSF 14.248 (POTA VE-3882)
HI95RCD 14.225  (Dominican Republic Special Event station)

Heard some of these guys working places like..
Ireland (MIØ) (59 here)

worlked my first "dx" with this radio... VE2CSP, thanks to the op for digging me out (I was 33)
View Quote

That should be V31ZA. Keith is a transplant from the UK. We speak regularly via email and occasionally on the air. I heard him on a few different 20M frequencies this evening.
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 9:30:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 1:35:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Got South Africa tonight on 7.156
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 8:21:35 AM EDT
[#6]
View Quote

I would gave been thrilled to have gotten that. I try for at least one new country a day -- yesterday was Luxembourg.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 10:18:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By M4Madness:

I would gave been thrilled to have gotten that. I try for at least one new country a day -- yesterday was Luxembourg.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

This guy was calling "CQ America long path" and kept saying he was 'down under', which I always thought meant Australia, but the callsign came up as South Africa.
The way band conditions have been the past few days, I'm happy to get anything.  

Link Posted: 6/22/2021 10:56:18 AM EDT
[#8]
So, I was crawling through the bands last night (I did have a QSO with Keith in Belize!) and answered a CQ on 20M before popping the call sign into QRZ. Usually, I look up the call sign before replying.

He came back right away. Imagine my surprise to discover that the guy I was speaking with was in the very same town I live in, a mere 3.3 miles from where I was sitting?!?!?!  I thought that contacting people nearby was almost impossible, but he claimed that on 20M it works sometimes.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 12:34:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Emoto:
So, I was crawling through the bands last night (I did have a QSO with Keith in Belize!) and answered a CQ on 20M before popping the call sign into QRZ. Usually, I look up the call sign before replying.

He came back right away. Imagine my surprise to discover that the guy I was speaking with was in the very same town I live in, a mere 3.3 miles from where I was sitting?!?!?!  I thought that contacting people nearby was almost impossible, but he claimed that on 20M it works sometimes.
View Quote

It works.  Sometimes.  My guess is that your signal was still "Groundwave" and still low when it went over him.  Had he been 10 miles away you might have missed.

I used to have regular, every night QSO's on 14.280 with friends in the same town.  One lived 3-5 miles from me, another about 10, a third about 15, and a 4th about 30 miles away.  I could seldom hear the guy 30 miles away however the guy that was about 15 miles from me was more centrally located to all of us and he could usually hear us all.  The guy 30 miles away owned a ham radio store and had anything and everything he needed for a first-rate setup.  As I recall he was running 2kw input to a TH6DXX yagi at 60' but I still couldn't hear him.  The guys in Australia that dropped by from time to time had NO problems in hearing him.

Propagation is a strange animal sometimes.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 12:53:28 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

You guys are doing great.  Unfortunately you'll reach the point where a new country a day is unobtainable.  It usually happens around 150 countries or so when you reach the point where you don't have enough receiver, enough antenna, enough power, or enough time.  There are 340 countries on the Countries List (Excluding deleted countries) and I have two friends who are both stuck at 338.  They have been at the DX game for decades but there are some countries with a ham population of zero.  There are some that are just rocks in an ocean with a TOTAL population of zero so you have to wait (and hope!) for a DXpedition and then fight the massive pileups to get a contact and THEN hope like hell he didn't screw up your call and it isn't in the log right.  I'm at 240 or so and I hit a new one every couple of months now.

Another thing that is ironic, and you'll notice it if you play the DX game long enough, is that what is really "Rare" right now ("right now" being this year or this decade or something) was an every-day occurrence at some point and that what is an every-day occurrence today will disappear at some point.  A good example is Mauritania.  I was absolutely thrilled when I worked a station there in 1978 and then never heard one again.  Until now.  These days 5T5PA is on 20 meter FT8 just about every day in the evening.  Same for Algeria.  I worked them once in '78 and never heard them again but now there are a couple of "Resident" stations on 20 meter FT8 and I can get them any time I want to.  Things change over time.  I have a few I never bothered getting a card from since they were so common and now I haven't heard them on many years and I'm kicking myself.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 3:01:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I did have a QSO with Keith in Belize!)
View Quote

Now that I think about it, you were probably the one who talked to him before I did last night -- I think he called the guy your first name. When I first came across the conversation, the other guy said (paraphrased), "It looks like it posed for the picture." Not long after, Keith went QRT to diagnose some radio-related problem. I left it on frequency and listened to QRN while logging QSO's or something at my station. Later I heard Keith calling CQ and answered him.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 3:55:27 PM EDT
[#12]

Now that I think about it, you were probably the one who talked to him before I did last night -- I think he called the guy your first name. When I first came across the conversation, the other guy said (paraphrased), "It looks like it posed for the picture." Not long after, Keith went QRT to diagnose some radio-related problem. I left it on frequency and listened to QRN while logging QSO's or something at my station. Later I heard Keith calling CQ and answered him.
View Quote

Maybe? We had a nice chat for a few minutes and then he went silent for a bit, I left the radio as it was and looked at my logbook. In a bit he came back and asked if I was still on frequency. I was and said so and he said sorry and said he'd had some kind of problem. We said our 73s just after that because I think others were starting to pipe up.
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 12:19:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Just worked LY5A in Lithuania SSB on 14.257.10
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 2:39:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By piccolo:

ND is an easy one. Check into the YLs on 14.332 and ask for Nancy

SD confirmation was a bastard.
View Quote

I got South Dakota last night -- a 77-yesr old gentleman.
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 5:56:59 PM EDT
[#15]
EC6FK in the Balearic Islands is on 14.283
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 7:47:31 PM EDT
[#16]
EC6FK in the Balearic Islands is on 14.283
View Quote

Big pile up. I may try again. I don't know how people on the receiving end of the pile ups keep their patience.
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 8:07:31 PM EDT
[#17]
06/24/21 0006Z - TF2MSN (Iceland) on 14.245

Iceland is one of the closest "Rare" countries we have since it's closer than parts of the USA.
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 10:12:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M4Madness] [#18]
Originally Posted By SACraig:
06/24/21 0006Z - TF2MSN (Iceland) on 14.245

Iceland is one of the closest "Rare" countries we have since it's closer than parts of the USA.
View Quote

I tried for over an hour tonight to make a QSO with him and failed. He QSY'ed three times and I found him each time. 14.245 MHz was the last frequency I heard him on. I was a little disappointed to walk away from the radio.
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 10:43:08 PM EDT
[#19]
I got up out of bed after posting that and got him after a half hour of trying!
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 11:45:44 PM EDT
[#20]
I got up out of bed after posting that and got him after a half hour of trying!
View Quote

Well done!  I see Iceland regularly on FT8 but they don't seem to show up on SSB very often.  I just checked my log and the only Icelandic station I've worked outside of digital modes was on CW years ago.

I can relate to your efforts though.  I just spent 30 minutes trying to get through to a new one myself.  Finally made it so we can both celebrate ;)
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 10:27:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By SACraig:
I can relate to your efforts though.  I just spent 30 minutes trying to get through to a new one myself.  Finally made it so we can both celebrate ;)
View Quote

Awesome! I get pretty giddy when I get a new country under my belt. Thankfully, since I'm new to this, I've got quite a while before the pickings get really slim. Sitting at 330 countries and waiting for #331 would suck.

Even spending probably two hours or more chasing Iceland last night before I got it, I did manage to pick up another new one -- Balearic Islands. I also got Argentina, European Russia, and Saudi Arabia, which I already had, but with different stations. That was at least my third QSO with Argentina -- I keep hitting it hoping one of them will confirm electronically. The one booming out of there about every evening obviously doesn't confirm.
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 11:25:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SACraig] [#22]

Awesome! I get pretty giddy when I get a new country under my belt. Thankfully, since I'm new to this, I've got quite a while before the pickings get really slim. Sitting at 330 countries and waiting for #331 would suck.

Even spending probably two hours or more chasing Iceland last night before I got it, I did manage to pick up another new one -- Balearic Islands. I also got Argentina, European Russia, and Saudi Arabia, which I already had, but with different stations. That was at least my third QSO with Argentina -- I keep hitting it hoping one of them will confirm electronically. The one booming out of there about every evening obviously doesn't confirm.
View Quote

Many of them may not confirm immediately, although it is easy to do, but in general most of them do given time.  I still get LoTW confirmations for the CW WW WPX RTTY last February.  Some of the stations only send logs in once a week or month or a few times a year.  I blame spotty to no internet service in parts of the world.  On the other hand some people just aren't worried about how long it takes and some have no intention of bothering with it.

I really wish there was a list somewhere, something like the spam blocking lists, that had callsigns of stations that never respond to QSL requests and all of our software had a plugin or built-in routine to check it before a contact is made.  If a station is on the list, move on to another one and ignore him.  Sooner or later some of them might get the idea that not responding to QSL requests is a good way to be ignored on the air.

Edit ... My ATNO from yesterday confirmed the contact at 1818Z this afternoon.
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 10:48:54 PM EDT
[#23]
06/25/2021 - 0245Z - 15 meters is open into the Pacific.  I've worked Australia a couple of times, New Zealand, and Samoa easily on FT8.  Strong signals coming in and it's a pipeline going out.  I suspect there is some good stuff on CW and SSB as well.
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 5:27:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: M4Madness] [#24]
Talk about service! The gentleman in Iceland sent me a photo of the QSL card and envelope with my information printed on them a half hour ago and said it was going out in the mail today. I never sent him an email, so he must send photos to all of his QSO's.
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 6:51:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Talk about service! The gentleman in Iceland sent me a photo of the QSL card and envelope with my information printed on them a half hour ago and said it was going out in the mail today. I never sent him an email, so he must send photos to all of his QSO's.
View Quote

Cool! Odinn or the other guy?
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 8:04:11 AM EDT
[#26]

Cool! Odinn or the other guy?
View Quote

Odinn Thor. You think that's his real name?
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 9:14:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Odinn Thor. You think that's his real name?
View Quote

Seems fake, but what the hell do I know?  Does the Icelandic license bureau allow lookup like the FCC?

Link Posted: 6/25/2021 6:37:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Western Sahara 18.151

S01WS

Link Posted: 6/25/2021 8:03:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Emoto] [#29]
Originally Posted By Derek45:

Western Sahara 18.151

S01WS

https://cdn-bio.qrz.com/s/s01ws/nternet_S01WS_DEFINITIVA01_QRZ_1.jpg
View Quote

Really cool! I need to get antennas that are resonant in more bands.

Tonight I have picked up:
Chile
Ukraine
Bulgaria
Croatia
Portugal

Link Posted: 6/25/2021 9:09:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M4Madness] [#30]
Tonight I have picked up:
Chile
Ukraine
Bulgaria
Croatia
Portugal

View Quote

Awesome! It's fun racking them up, isn't it? I just scored Romania for the first time a moment ago.

YO7MPD on 14.216

Sadly, I couldn't get Kuwait this afternoon. I tried until the guy finally dropped down into the noise.

Link Posted: 6/25/2021 9:57:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M4Madness] [#31]
Just busted a big pile-up after many, many attempts and got this one:

5B4ALJ in Cyprus on 14.267
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 2:47:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Just got EA3AKP in Spain.  Got a 57 report with only 100w.
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 7:26:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Brundoggie:
View Quote

Gotta watch Spain, it's one of the sneaky ones.  EA 6, 8, and 9 aren't Spain.  EA6 is the Balearic Islands, EA8 the Canary Islands, and EA9 is Ceuta and Melilla, each of which are considered separate countries.
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 7:46:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Brundoggie:
View Quote

I've spoken with him, too.

Also got Mexico last night. XE1XR

My Chilean QSO CE3CLF sent me an incoming for confirmation in LoTW, but I can't seem to get it to accept. No idea what isn't matching.
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 7:50:02 AM EDT
[#35]

Awesome! It's fun racking them up, isn't it? I just scored Romania for the first time a moment ago.

YO7MPD on 14.216

Sadly, I couldn't get Kuwait this afternoon. I tried until the guy finally dropped down into the noise.

View Quote

Yes, it is fun! Despite my somewhat relaxed rate of QSO making, I really do enjoy it. I find the pile-ups somewhat bothersome, so don't really stick with them for very long.

I did hear a Kuwaiti station at one point, but he was petty faint and didn't seem to hear me, and I couldn't seem to hear the other end of whoever he would pick.
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 8:48:37 AM EDT
[#36]
Also got Mexico last night. XE1XR
View Quote

He's one of my Mexican QSO's. Good luck getting a confirmation.
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 8:56:05 AM EDT
[#37]

He's one of my Mexican QSO's. Good luck getting a confirmation.
View Quote

Meh. Not terribly worried if he does, or not. There will be other Mexico QSOs.

The thing that bugs me is not being able to confirm the incoming from the guy in Chile.
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 9:20:52 AM EDT
[#38]

View All Quotes

I've got something like three of them so far and no confirmations. Tried for a fourth a couple of nights ago, but he apparently never picked me out of the pile-up.

The thing that bugs me is not being able to confirm the incoming from the guy in Chile.

One of you has the date or time wrong most likely. Was it after UTC turns over at 8PM Eastern? If so, did you advance the day (as you should have), even though the date didn't change locally yet?
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 9:26:57 AM EDT
[#39]
One of you has the date or time wrong most likely. Was it after UTC turns over at 8PM Eastern? If so, did you advance the day (as you should have), even though the date didn't change locally yet?
View Quote

I will go check that, when I go into the shack to try again. I'll probably send him an email with my info and ask him what he has different.
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 9:36:45 AM EDT
[#40]
One time a guy logged our QSO a couple of weeks after we had it, and he accidentally left the date that he logged it in the box instead of changing it to the QSO date.
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 10:05:04 AM EDT
[#41]
One time a guy logged our QSO a couple of weeks after we had it, and he accidentally left the date that he logged it in the box instead of changing it to the QSO date.
View Quote

I think one of us has an error in how we logged it. We'll see.
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 12:30:37 PM EDT
[#42]

I will go check that, when I go into the shack to try again. I'll probably send him an email with my info and ask him what he has different.
View All Quotes

I emailed him and he has already replied with a very nice email. Our times were more than 30 minutes different. He changed his and now the QSO is confirmed. What a nice guy!
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 12:32:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Good deal!
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 12:44:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Emoto, I don't know if you use Clublog or not, but if you don't, you ought to set it up. I use LOTW and QRZ for my logging purposes, but I go ahead and upload to Clublog too just for the fact that many that use it have buttons you can click to pay a few bucks via Paypal and get a QSL card mailed to you. Their system matches just like the others.
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 2:18:10 PM EDT
[#45]

I've got something like three of them so far and no confirmations. Tried for a fourth a couple of nights ago, but he apparently never picked me out of the pile-up.

View Quote

I've made this mistake before.  I now have UTC displayed in my browser header to avoid making that mistake.
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 4:23:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Emoto, I don't know if you use Clublog or not, but if you don't, you ought to set it up. I use LOTW and QRZ for my logging purposes, but I go ahead and upload to Clublog too just for the fact that many that use it have buttons you can click to pay a few bucks via Paypal and get a QSL card mailed to you. Their system matches just like the others.
View Quote

I haven't looked at it. So, the advantage is simplified Paypal transactions? Are the Paypal fees the same as when sending directly through Paypal? Are you finding a lot of instances where they do not want a card from you, but for $X will send you one of theirs? I've had one of those so far.
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 9:26:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Emoto] [#47]
Alaska on 14.218 KL7IEH. Jim. Nice guy.

ETA: Oddly, my QRZ log shows the American flag in the flag column, but in the country column, it says Alaska instead of United States. WTF.
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 9:28:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M4Madness] [#48]
View Quote

I assume you got him. Congratulations! That's a hard state. He was one of three Alaska stations I got last night. And the best news is that one of them confirmed me a few minutes ago! I'd never even heard an Alasksn station before yesterday.

EDIT: Alaska is considered a country for DX purposes.
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 9:32:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Emoto] [#49]

I assume you got him. Congratulations! That's a hard state. He was one of three Alaska stations I got last night. And the best news is that one of them confirmed me a few minutes ago! I'd never even heard an Alasksn station before yesterday.
View All Quotes

Thanks, I did! Hell, he was coming in here at 59+, so I stopped on his signal for a bit, like you do, and when he said where he was from, I got in there. I don't think it was really piled up until after we chatted. I liked that he isn't just signal report and then on to the next.  I don't think he does a QRZ logbook, so no idea about confirmation.

Also got Ecuador (HC1MX) this evening! Noise made it a little challenging, but we had a nice chat anyway.
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 9:54:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M4Madness] [#50]

Thanks, I did! Hell, he was coming in here at 59+, so I stopped on his signal for a bit, like you do, and when he said where he was from, I got in there. I don't think it was really piled up until after we chatted. I liked that he isn't just signal report and then on to the next.  I don't think he does a QRZ logbook, so no idea about confirmation.

Also got Ecuador (HC1MX) this evening! Noise made it a little challenging, but we had a nice chat anyway.
View Quote

I didn't get any QSO's tonight. I tried to get PJ2MAN in Curacao for probably an hour and gave up. I built a mast from chainlink fence top rail today and moved my dipole from the very leafy poplar tree and out into the open this evening before sunset. It's now more of an inverted-V. We'll see how it works. As for HC1MX, my QSO with him was confirmed on QRZ for sure, and maybe on LOTW and ClubLog as well. He'll get to you.

Page / 59
Tacked DX Spotting Here (Page 21 of 59)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top