Link Posted: 6/13/2021 7:04:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M4Madness] [#1]
Just got both of these on first attempt:

HK1O in Columbia -- 14.239

9H5BZ in Malta -- 14.244

Nothing rare, but still something someone may want
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 8:03:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Just got HC1MX in Ecuador on 14.290 MHz.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 8:27:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By M4Madness:

9H5BZ in Malta -- 14.244

Nothing rare, but still something someone may want
View Quote

Malta you don't find on a daily basis.

IIRC I worked anther guy in Malta on CW and sent him a diploma like the one on my QRZ page and he thought that was the coolest thing in the world. He said ham radio was to have FUN with.

I got an email from him later telling me he made copies of it to show the stick up their ass members of his local ARC and a couple of them got frumpy about it.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 8:32:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Emoto:

What are you using for a URL? I get errors on all the ones I try.
View Quote

or google dx summit
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 8:45:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By piccolo:

or google dx summit
View Quote

400 Bad Request
Request Header Or Cookie Too Large
nginx/1.4.6 (Ubuntu)
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 8:55:45 PM EDT
[#6]

400 Bad Request
Request Header Or Cookie Too Large

nginx/1.4.6 (Ubuntu)
View Quote

Works good for me on Windows

I suppose you can use any of the other clusters
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 9:03:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Works good for me on Windows

I suppose you can use any of the other clusters
View Quote

Ok, got it. I had to clear some browser settings. Am using the Brave browser that protects your privacy a bit more, and that got in the way.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 9:27:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TotalUnRecall] [#8]
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 4:53:20 PM EDT
[#9]
OK4YL is on 14.240.

Her name is Alena Kocianova and she's in the Czech  Republic. I had a QSO with her over a month ago and she was a sweet woman.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 5:55:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M4Madness] [#10]
Another woman I had a QSO with in the past is on 14.194 right now

CU2YK (Ana)

Her profile says Portugal, but I "think" it should say Azores.

I think a fellow Arfcommer is on 14.327.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 8:38:01 PM EDT
[#11]
14.205 TI5VMJ is on, from Costa Rica.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 4:59:11 PM EDT
[#12]
8P6NW on 14.160. He's in Barbados. I got him the other day.

Link Posted: 6/15/2021 5:05:08 PM EDT
[#13]
FS5GL St. Martin -- 14.208
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 5:22:43 PM EDT
[#14]
6Y5HM Jamaica -- 14.218
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 5:57:47 PM EDT
[#15]
EW6W
Belarus

He was on 28.472 but I can't hear him now.
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 6:00:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Emoto] [#16]
LY4A
Lithuania

He's still on. No pile up.
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 6:19:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By @M4Madness :
6Y5HM Jamaica -- 14.218
View Quote

Jamaica can be a real bitch to get a card from because of mail theft.

I just checked this guy on QRZ.com and QSL him through the QSL manager EA5GL.

The QSL manager is GTG.

I got my Jamaican QSL confirmed by making w QSO with a Canadian that was on vacation there running his own DXpedition of sorts.
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 8:24:26 PM EDT
[#18]

Jamaica can be a real bitch to get a card from because of mail theft.

I just checked this guy on QRZ.com and QSL him through the QSL manager EA5GL.

The QSL manager is GTG.

I got my Jamaican QSL confirmed by making w QSO with a Canadian that was on vacation there running his own DXpedition of sorts.
View Quote

We'll find out, as I mailed a card directly to
SY5SJ

I finally busted a pile-up earlier this evening and got HZ1ZM in Saudi Arabia. That puts me at 70 countries by my 7-week HF anniversary tomorrow. I'm at 47 states as well -- Alaska, North Dakota, and South Dakota are my last hold-outs.
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 11:04:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Bunch of Russian stations on tonight coming in strong on 20m. R5aj was 5-9 for me both ways.
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 11:24:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By cjk:
Bunch of Russian stations on tonight coming in strong on 20m. R5aj was 5-9 for me both ways.
View Quote

No rain here yet (horrible storms about 30 miles north), but spectacular lightning that is almost non-stop. The lights flickered on and off a few times. I'm unplugged for the night, which ruined my plans for midnight DXing
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 11:26:19 PM EDT
[#21]

-- Alaska, North Dakota, and South Dakota are my last hold-outs.
View Quote

ND is an easy one. Check into the YLs on 14.332 and ask for Nancy

SD confirmation was a bastard. A fucking MD with boats and airplanes but not enough time to send a damned card. IIRC found someone else thanks to one of our guys here. I met the SD guy on line and we both fired up our rigs and Bingo! Had a card in 3 days.

AK was a real show and it was actually on this board that the drama played out.

One of our guys was between us and relaying back and forth "Try 20 meters! go to 14.231!" That was the night I burned dinner and peed in a wastebasket so as not to lose the chase. Finally we made QSO with about a 2x2 and my QSL card was hand made.

When I took it to the card checker to get my WAS he saw it and laughed. I'm as proud of it as a peacock!
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 12:13:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Australia on 14.258 vk3tjk 5-7, 5-8 reports.
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 6:33:04 AM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

I apparently go to bed too early.
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 9:30:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: M4Madness] [#24]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Yes, you do. LOL! It seems like a lot of good DX is around 11-1 EDT, so I look forward to weekends. "They" say good Asia stuff is around 7AM, so I figured I might salvage things and get up early this morning and luck into the final holdout in my continents quest, but no! It was storming here like I haven't seen in years, with rain pounding the bedroom window above the headboard and huge lightning bolts I could see flashing with my eyes closed.
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 9:37:24 AM EDT
[#25]

One of our guys was between us and relaying back and forth "Try 20 meters! go to 14.231!" That was the night I burned dinner and peed in a wastebasket so as not to lose the chase. Finally we made QSO with about a 2x2 and my QSL card was hand made.
View Quote

Now that is dedication! We have an Alaskan member in this forum that offered to set up a sked with me, and we swapped phone numbers so we could text quickly to set things up on the fly. So far, we've tried a few different evenings to no avail. It's been a couple of weeks since the last attempt, so perhaps we'll try again soon. I wonder if maybe my dipole's north-south orientation is playing into my difficulty? I'd take it down and turn it temporarily if I knew it would aid in this quest.
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 9:41:24 AM EDT
[#26]

Yes, you do. LOL! It seems like a lot of good DX is around 11-1 EDT, so I look forward to weekends. "They" say good Asia stuff is around 7AM, so I figured I might salvage things and get up early this morning and luck into the final holdout in my continents quest, but no! It was storming here like I haven't seen in years, with rain pounding the bedroom window above the headboard and huge lightning bolts I could see flashing with my eyes closed.
View Quote

I may try to stay up tonight, and/or hit the radio early in the morning.
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 11:22:49 AM EDT
[#27]

Now that is dedication! We have an Alaskan member in this forum that offered to set up a sked with me, and we swapped phone numbers so we could text quickly to set things up on the fly. So far, we've tried a few different evenings to no avail. It's been a couple of weeks since the last attempt, so perhaps we'll try again soon. I wonder if maybe my dipole's north-south orientation is playing into my difficulty? I'd take it down and turn it temporarily if I knew it would aid in this quest.
View Quote

Be patient and keep your eye on the clusters. One will show up when you least expect it.
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 11:29:38 AM EDT
[#28]

View Quote

There's a guy in Alaska that shows up every few days on 20 meters FT8 (14.074) if you dabble in that mode.  Callsign is KL7J.  Be warned that there are also a couple with KL7 and WL7 calls that are NOT in Alaska.  There is also a KH6 that isn't in Hawaii.

As Piccolo said, your best bet is to watch a DX cluster.
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 11:40:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Pardon my ignorance, but how does one "watch a DX cluster"?
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 11:51:46 AM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

There are sites where people post DX just like this thread, but a lot more active. QRZ has a column on the left side of their home page titled "Hot DX".
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 11:53:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By SACraig:

There's a guy in Alaska that shows up every few days on 20 meters FT8 (14.074) if you dabble in that mode.
View Quote

20 meter phone only for me.
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 11:59:00 AM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

here's one

here's another

Once more for the benefit of the studio audience!
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 12:16:39 PM EDT
[#33]

View All Quotes

LOL, dedication is what me and Picc went through when he was trying to get me when I was operating from Saipan.  I was sitting in a park, sweating my balls off, with only my KX3 and a wire in a tree.  We were on cell phones trying different  freqs and almost tried CW despite me not knowing CW.  Finally gave up without success when the battery ran out.  Picc is as persistent as a pit bull with a ham bone.
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 12:24:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Emoto] [#34]

There are sites where people post DX just like this thread, but a lot more active. QRZ has a column on the left side of their home page titled "Hot DX".
View All Quotes

There is a good one built into the logbook of HRD.  On the main menu of the logbook click [View] and [DX Cluster] then [Display].  Select a site from the list beside "Connect Node" (VE7CC-1 is good, WA9PIE-2 is good, N4ZKF-1 is good.  Just try the until you find one you like), then click [Connect] (it's the word "Connect" in Connect Node, it's actually a button). Sit back and let it run.

Thanks, guys!  
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 12:31:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Brundoggie:

LOL, dedication is what me and Picc went through when he was trying to get me when I was operating from Saipan.  I was sitting in a park, sweating my balls off, with only my KX3 and a wire in a tree.  We were on cell phones trying different  freqs and almost tried CW despite me not knowing CW.  Finally gave up without success when the battery ran out.  Picc is as persistent as a pit bull with a ham bone.
View Quote

When are you going to Saipan again?

If I hadn't gotten the USS Missouri in Hawaii, I'd have been begging you for a sked.
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 12:38:59 PM EDT
[#36]
View Quote

There is a good one built into the logbook of HRD.  On the main menu of the logbook click [View] and [DX Cluster] then [Display].  Select a site from the list beside "Connect Node" (VE7CC-1 is good, WA9PIE-2 is good, N4ZKF-1 is good.  Just try the until you find one you like), then click [Connect] (it's the word "Connect" in Connect Node, it's actually a button). Sit back and let it run.
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 12:40:40 PM EDT
[#37]

20 meter phone only for me.
View Quote

20 meter phone virtually never for me.  Of my last 260 QSO's only one was SSB.  All the rest were CW or digital.
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 1:12:08 PM EDT
[#38]

20 meter phone virtually never for me.  Of my last 260 QSO's only one was SSB.  All the rest were CW or digital.
View Quote

I kid, I kid.
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 2:07:29 PM EDT
[#39]
KL7WG in Alaska - 06/19/21 1806Z - 14.268 (that's SSB)
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 2:09:04 PM EDT
[#40]

If I hadn't gotten the USS Missouri in Hawaii, I'd have been begging you for a sked.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Brundoggie:

I am more likely to go to Wake Island this year than Saipan.
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 2:13:54 PM EDT
[#41]

I kid, I kid.
View Quote

No sweat.  It would be boring if we all enjoyed the same things.  The list of things I don't like is longer than the list of things I do like (QRP, straight keys, bugs, EME, VHF, UHF, nets, EMCOMM, the list goes on).  I've worked so much SSB over the years that it got utterly boring and sent me back to CW and then Packet and then RTTY and then digital.   Not much HF packet going on these days but I do enjoy CW, RTTY and FT8/FT4 modes so that's what I use.  To each their own.
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 5:08:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M4Madness] [#42]
KL7WG in Alaska - 06/19/21 1806Z - 14.268 (that's SSB)
View Quote

I wasn't home, but doubt I could have gotten them anyway. I moved my dipole a moment ago to a different tree, and now the damned electricity went off. A bright sunny day! We had bad storms overnight and this morning, with many in our area without electricity. Hopefully the electric company cut the power just now for a quick line repair somewhere. I was on the radio, too, so I hope nothing was damaged by the quick voltage drop.

This weekend is the West Virginia QSO party and I haven't heard a single station there -- and I have a clear view to the east. My dipole is on the east side of a poplar tree now, so I'm not sure how badly the foliage will affect it westerly. I really need to get the damned thing out into the open.

EDIT: Electricity back on after a half hour lapse.
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 9:00:47 PM EDT
[#43]
I was pretty excited to get JW4GUA in Svalbard earlier this evening. I'm pretty sure he is still on 14.243 right now.
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 10:30:57 PM EDT
[#44]
I just got RM8A in Asiatic Russia on 14.243. I finally get my continents award if he logs me on LOTW or QRZ.
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 10:51:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 1:27:51 AM EDT
[#46]
Just picked up S57DX in Slovenia on 14.233 SSB.  He's calling CQ and coming in loud to WA.
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 11:36:30 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Clown_Gun:
Just picked up S57DX in Slovenia on 14.233 SSB.  He's calling CQ and coming in loud to WA.
View Quote

Slavko.

He's on the air a LOT and generally I can work him from Pittsburgh.

Send $2 and he's pretty good about QSLing.
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 11:54:04 AM EDT
[#48]

Slavko.

View Quote

Yep. New ham of only 2.5 months and I've worked him twice.
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 12:45:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Caniac_Nation:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Caniac_Nation:

Slavko.

After you work him a couple of times he starts calling you by name.
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 6:18:48 PM EDT
[#50]

After you work him a couple of times he starts calling you by name.
View Quote

His brother Yanis is s51dx. I think they share the station and take turns running it.
Both are fun to talk to.
Page / 59
Tacked DX Spotting Here (Page 20 of 59)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top