Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:18:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
fuck cw, that shit is like the iron sights of radio
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:21:11 PM EDT
[#2]
One of the best parts of this forum is the attitude. You may not give a rats ass about CW for example but that does not give you permission to pummel the guy who does. Mutual respect I believe it's called. We could use more of that in our everyday lives.

Quoted:
If you think the no code hams have a lot of old timers complaining you should have been around when SSB replaced AM. -snip-
View Quote
Been reading original QST magazines from the early 20s. The wailing at the wall of the end of King Spark still garnered ink in QST. Even T.O.M. chimed in here and there basically saying "Get over it".
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:32:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
ARF Ham is fine and I come here a lot. But, this isn't the place I'd go to for serious ham talk/information.  If I need to know something I go to QRZ or EHam.
View Quote

I usually go to QRZ.RU when I need to get detailed technical  info regarding equipment repair and modifications. Arfham gives me a lot if motivation to continue this hobby.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:58:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I usually go to QRZ.RU when I need to get detailed technical  info regarding equipment repair and modifications. Arfham gives me a lot if motivation to continue this hobby.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
ARF Ham is fine and I come here a lot. But, this isn't the place I'd go to for serious ham talk/information.  If I need to know something I go to QRZ or EHam.

I would agree with that except for the part where it is in Russian and I can't read it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:41:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I was also inspired by ARFHAM/ARJedi 101 sticky    
View Quote

not my fault
(tm).

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:53:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Nathan, my comments were certainly not aimed at you.  You have a lot more to talk about than just health issues.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't know if the serious health issue deal was directed at me.

Nathan, my comments were certainly not aimed at you.  You have a lot more to talk about than just health issues.

I'll note that many hams that are seriously ill, you'd never know.  On the air they are just hams.

I know blind hams, a paraplegic, and others with serious illnesses or disabilities, and only found out after knowing them for some
time.  One guy, "You didn't know I'm blind?"  I said, "Hell no, you don't sound blind on the radio."  He is a net manager and net
control of a big 40 m net.  He is an asst net control on others.  Who knew?

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:54:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

During the winter, I set up a rig next to my recliner in the living room with my key in my lap and 'phones on, chatting away while my wife watches TV or reads.
View Quote

for some reason the image i got from that actually struck me as pretty freaking cool way to spend a winter evening.

damn, something must be wrong w/ me
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:29:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Although this forum was not responsible for pursuing my ticket, it certainly wouldn't have happened in such short order without it.  The encouraging tone, step by step instructions, informative threads and enticing pictures made it readily attainable.  You should all be commended for the welcoming little community you have set-up and nurtured.
View Quote

This forum is not responsible for me becoming a Ham.  Hell, I wasn't even on the internet when I got my ticket.  They ARE responsible for rekindling my interest and getting me to upgrade to General and then Extra.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 2:09:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This forum is not responsible for me becoming a Ham.  Hell, I wasn't even on the internet when I got my ticket.  They ARE responsible for rekindling my interest and getting me to upgrade to General and then Extra.

Vulcan94
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Although this forum was not responsible for pursuing my ticket, it certainly wouldn't have happened in such short order without it.  The encouraging tone, step by step instructions, informative threads and enticing pictures made it readily attainable.  You should all be commended for the welcoming little community you have set-up and nurtured.

Vulcan94

This forum IS responsible for me becoming a Ham.

It isn't ar-jedi's fault......

I blame Jupiter7200.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 2:50:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I blame Jupiter7200.
View Quote

If you're going to blame me, then why do we keep that other guy (ar-jedi) around?

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:44:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If you're going to blame me, then why do we keep that other guy (ar-jedi) around?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I blame Jupiter7200.

my point exactly.

the King is dead.  long live the King.  

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 2:40:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

for some reason the image i got from that actually struck me as pretty freaking cool way to spend a winter evening.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

During the winter, I set up a rig next to my recliner in the living room with my key in my lap and 'phones on, chatting away while my wife watches TV or reads.

Actually it's nice and warm, kicked back under a lap blanket with a cup of hot tea at hand, chasing DX, contesting, or ragchewing and watching the deer play in the snow through the picture window. It's true arm-chair copy. One problem, though. If the QSO gets boring, I've been known to drift off into the land of Nod -- while transmitting!
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 2:50:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

my point exactly.

ar-jedi
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I blame Jupiter7200.

my point exactly.

ar-jedi

How about King and Queen.

Y'all can decide who is who.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 6:27:22 PM EDT
[#14]
This forum has definitely cost me some money, and the past posts and the stickies have always helped.  Thanks guys, don't change!

Orange or green?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:15:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I would agree with that except for the part where it is in Russian and I can't read it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Google translate for the win!

The Russians certainly put US hams to shame when it comes to building and home brew.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:40:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I'll note that many hams that are seriously ill, you'd never know.  On the air they are just hams.

I know blind hams, a paraplegic, and others with serious illnesses or disabilities, and only found out after knowing them for some
time.  One guy, "You didn't know I'm blind?"  I said, "Hell no, you don't sound blind on the radio."  He is a net manager and net

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't know if the serious health issue deal was directed at me.

A friend I have known since H.S. age, not the same school, has been blind his whole life. I have helped him learn his way around some radios and he has done wonders with my audio settings. He could hear, that I had my TX monitor on when I couldn't hear it.
Rob
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:03:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I figure most of the assholes will be dead in a few years.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
And in 10 years every single ham out there will be NO CODE!  Patience always wins

Know-code extra asshole checking in

Also I'm an extra
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:47:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Also I'm an extra
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
And in 10 years every single ham out there will be NO CODE!  Patience always wins

Also I'm an extra

You and I need to QSO.  Maybe start our own net.... No Code Assholes.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:16:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also I'm an extra

Since I'm a certified asshole, over 60 and know code I was wondering can I join your net?  Seeing how I have "ten years or less" to dah-dit-dah-dit;dah-dah-dit-dah.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:21:38 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

The Russians certainly put US hams to shame when it comes to building and home brew.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Necessity being the mother and all that.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:55:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Also I'm an extra
View Quote

It's ok to be an asshole and a ham radio operator.  I am one.  

The problem is the assholes that drive away new hams by saying  "You should not be on the air at all unless you know code".  

I kind of look at them as the FUDDS of the radio world.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:34:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Since I'm a certified asshole, over 60 and know code I was wondering can I join your net?  Seeing how I have "ten years or less" to dah-dit-dah-dit;dah-dah-dit-dah.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also I'm an extra

Well I'm 31 so I think the net will cater to the last wave of know-coders only
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:37:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The problem is the assholes that drive away new hams by saying  "You should not be on the air at all unless you know code".  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also I'm an extra

Yeah I know, I was making a joke.

I was once kicked out of a radio club for politely pointing out that two transceivers on the same band with antennas visible to each other wasn't going to work. They pulled the "Well I've been a ham for X years so I know what I'm talking about!" and I said "That's great, I've been a ham for Y years (about 5 more) and that doesn't change the fact that you can't work CW and SSB on the same band from the same location without some serious filtering." Words got twisted and they went to the president of the club, said I said something different, and I was asked not to come back with no opportuntity to defend myself because they'd been with the club longer.

FWIW, I was the one working CW

I mainly operate contests and experimental stuff because I have no interest in talking about colostomy bags.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:53:02 AM EDT
[#24]
while working on the Trailer a few weeks ago, I actually had some help from some of the Members.  We had just finished up a EMER Day event and they were sporting their Call Sign Name Tags...One commented that I didn't have one on.  I went on to tell them that I didn't own one, but indeed had plans to get one made-to my custom specs.
Knowing me, they were curious and asked about the "custom specs"

7" x 5" in Kelly Green with white lettering and white perimeter outline

Fo Time
The Other Ham Radio Podcast
www.amateurradio15.com

Host: K4CDN

of course it'd be too big for magnets or a bulldog clip so I envision a SO-239 at each top corner with NBW holding them in place and a length of RG8 with ends connected to the SO-239's to hang around my neck like a placard....
Think White, Nerdy Fla-v-Flav with Ham Call vs. Wind-up clock around his neck.

I got this look and was told....

"Do you know how stupid that'd look? (said my elmer who's name tag was faux woodgrain)
I replied 'yes'.
"No one could take you seriously, they'd just laugh at you" (said the other who had worn his corresponding yellow tag that day)
'Exactly' I said

they didn't get it......

ETA: YeahhhhhhhBoiiiiiiiiiiiii
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:06:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Do it!!!

That would be funny as crap to walk into the next meeting night wearing it.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top