Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/29/2014 7:58:38 AM EDT
At least for me.  You guys don't know how much I appreciate the knowledge that is shared on this forum.  I come read posts several times a day and when I search for older material this site usually comes up before any others.  I don't have a local elmer and I know a lot of guys on here don't either.  The Arfcom ham forum is our elmer.  

I mention this as I had signed up on Facebook for a bunch of ham related groups.  Some of them are fairly large with 15,000+ followers.  Some of you also participate in them as I recognize the names and call signs.  But, the last few weeks I have been unfollowing a bunch of those groups after watching a few discussions.  It is clear that on some that new hams are not welcome.  

I am seeing more and more posts from members bitching about no code hams, former CB'rs, and "preppers" etc.  Very little useful information was being posted.  A person would ask a decent question and get ignored but a thread about how the new tests are ruining ham radio got 40+ posts in agreement.  Some were even proposing the idea of asking the FCC to cancel all no-code and recent (10 years or so) ham licenses because we did not sit through a class or have to learn CW.  I know that is unlikely but it shows the hate they have for anyone that did not take the exact same test they did.   They want things reset back to when ham radio was going to die from the lack of new blood.  

I know there are grumpy old men in every hobby and there are more than our fair share in ham radio.  

It is sad but they will not understand that without new blood, the hobby would eventually die.  Manufacturers look at money.  If no new hams are created, that means there is very few people buying new gear.  If no one is buying, there is no need to make it.  The FCC looks at the spectrum and sees dollar signs as well.  We use a tiny portion but it is valuable.  If there were no hams left, you can bet it would be auctioned off.  

So keep up the good work.  I know that this site alone is responsible for helping a bunch of folks join the hobby.  Yes, many of us are "preppers" and no-code but we want to learn and we need good teachers, not some asshole spewing hate.  I will eventually learn code but I must do it on my own time.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:40:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I agree 100%
I got my tech ticket 7 years ago due to this forum and I just passed general Saturday.
After the test I was talking to the examiners about going for extra and one said to do it soon because they were going to make the nest set of questions harder.
If we want Ham radio to grow, making it more difficult is just plain stupid.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:46:14 AM EDT
[#2]
yes.  It is this very forum that coerced me to finally get my ticket, then build an EMCOMM box, Upgrade, DX, Digi, AK-47 box, EMCOMM Trailer, and Fo

One for the Haters:
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:08:15 AM EDT
[#3]
fuck cw, that shit is like the iron sights of radio
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:00:27 AM EDT
[#4]
And in 10 years every single ham out there will be NO CODE!  Patience always wins
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:11:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
And in 10 years every single ham out there will be NO CODE!  Patience always wins
View Quote

I figure most of the assholes will be dead in a few years.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:43:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Something I forgot to mention but a PM reminded me.  

A ham license means you met the current minimum legal requirements.  It does not make you a good ham.  

The best analogy i could come up with is getting your drivers license.  When I got my license they had just dropped the requirement to learn stick.  Why? Because most vehicles were being sold had automatic.  Is learning stick a good idea?  Yes, as you may encounter an older vehicle that has it.  Does it make you a better driver?    

Taking the drivers test is about meeting the absolute minimum legal requirements.  Nothing more.  People still suck at driving, there are plenty of road ragers, and there are still drunk drivers.  Making them learn stick does nothing to stop any of that bad behavior.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:54:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Great another no code ham circle jerk. Meanwhile some of us have serious health issues we must discuss.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:00:49 AM EDT
[#8]
What seems to be the problem GCW?  I am not a doctor but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express sometime last year.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:03:57 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Great another no code ham circle jerk. Meanwhile some of us have serious health issues we must discuss.
View Quote
80 meters is always a spin of the dial away

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:06:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

That reminds me, my bunions are acting up again can you recommend a good orthopedic shoe?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:12:06 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm sorry for detailing your thread a bit, ok I am not. Take an motrin and change your socks doc

I know how you feel. Being on average 2-3 decades younger than most hams I know the discrimination. I really enjoy it when digital is looked down on as "computer stuff" or I don't want a computer to have to use my radio. Once they see a SDR and waterfall they usually start to come around.

I think we as a younger (by age or experience) just need to let them grump, listen to their advice, and help them when possible.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:12:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That reminds me, my bunions are acting up again can you recommend a good orthopedic shoe?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Amputation is the answer.  It may not be the best answer.  But it works.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:22:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I know how you feel. Being on average 2-3 decades younger than most hams I know the discrimination. I really enjoy it when digital is looked down on as "computer stuff" or I don't want a computer to have to use my radio. Once they see a SDR and waterfall they usually start to come around.

I think we as a younger (by age or experience) just need to let them grump, listen to their advice, and help them when possible.
View Quote

See, that is a perfect example.  These guys were the geeks of their day.  Many of them were the experimenters that tinkered with computers before computers were even mainstream.   So I don't understand the resistance to new tech.  Now, tech has become so mainstream that people like us using "old school" technology like ham radio are the geeks.  

It's not just listening to them grump, some are actually destroying people interested in becoming hams or new hams with their gripes.  I have heard from a few people that said outright that they either got their license and no longer use it, or did not get it at all due to the haters.  I have slowly talked a few of them into getting back into the hobby.   I guess that is where my role is at.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:42:20 AM EDT
[#14]
I agree that ARFCOM is the best ham radio forum. We're forward-looking achievers who love to roll up our sleeves, spit on our hands, and get things done. I see the other forums as composed of too many red flannel pajama-boys sipping cups of hot cocoa that their mommies made for him.

Full disclosure: I've been pounding brass for 60+ years on the HF bands and to say CW is going away is just wishful thinking. I have tried the other modes and found them wanting. AM, SSB, FM, RTTY, and the numerous other digital modes fail to hold my interest (although finding an operable Model 19 or 28 KSR teleprinter at a decent price would definitely get me back onto the green keys). CW is my preferred mode, and I like it hand-sent, with straight key or "bug" rather than paddles.

I agree that dropping the CW requirement is one of the best things that's happened to ham radio since incentive licensing. Now those who chose to operate the mode do it because they see it as an art form, a skill, not a requirement. It's not for everybody, as it requires patience, skill, and dedication. Our ranks are growing, witness the ever-increasing enrollments in CW groups such as SKCC and FISTS.

True CW OPS welcome newcomers and encourage them to learn our skills. You'll find us monitoring the "Elmer" frequencies waiting for the newcomer with shaky fist and sweaty palms to try his/her luck. We'll drop our speed to whatever they find comfortable and encourage them along.  

If you want a hunting analogy, some sit in tree stands waiting for a Whitetail to walk by, while others choose to venture onto the high peaks of far-away and often hostile lands in quest of Marco Polo sheep.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:10:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Frank, I don't see CW going away, ever.  I want to learn.  I have my reasons why I cannot but I will focus on it when I can.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:22:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
yes.  It is this very forum that coerced me to finally get my ticket, then build an EMCOMM box, Upgrade, DX, Digi, AK-47 box, EMCOMM Trailer, and Fo

One for the Haters:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10538424_1485545585063025_3962881108290947941_n.jpg?oh=bc5dbcd65fc764424802b0c577bbc3fc&oe=54B7033A&__gda__=1421885699_fa687746c7ab280e1085be33a02ac915
View Quote

I fucking love that shirt. I have exactly 1 CW QSO confirmed with card on display just to say I am a KNOW code extra.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:28:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Something I forgot to mention but a PM reminded me.  

A ham license means you met the current minimum legal requirements.  It does not make you a good ham.  

The best analogy i could come up with is getting your drivers license.  When I got my license they had just dropped the requirement to learn stick.  Why? Because most vehicles were being sold had automatic.  Is learning stick a good idea?  Yes, as you may encounter an older vehicle that has it.  Does it make you a better driver?    

Taking the drivers test is about meeting the absolute minimum legal requirements.  Nothing more.  People still suck at driving, there are plenty of road ragers, and there are still drunk drivers.  Making them learn stick does nothing to stop any of that bad behavior.
View Quote

The way I usually put it is that passing the test just shows you have the capacity to learn, not necessarily that you have actually learned all that you need to.  Getting the license is when the real learning starts.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:57:30 PM EDT
[#18]
It's really the time of the year for Gout support net discussions.

No-coder here but in time I have realized the importance of learning code.  It is still a versatile as when all other methods fail with conditions changing CW still has a chance to get the message out.
Learning to "hear the code" is on my short list.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:35:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Here is one of the haters.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:59:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

I was so impressed with the post above this one I overlooked it the first time.

Bravo sir!
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 5:53:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Many ham forums are filled with know-it-alls.
This one? Share-it-alls.

Thank you!

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 6:31:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea, and the current no-code generation will be discussing their gallbladder issues on 80m while running PSK901 tied to their neural implant. LOL.  Toolls may change but people remain the same.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 6:32:20 PM EDT
[#23]
I agree, but we still have our green/orange issues.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 6:39:50 PM EDT
[#24]
.._.
..-
-.-.
-.-

I must be getting rusty; I had to think.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:12:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lofl... And much like iron sights it works well if you know how to do it...
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:16:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah half the ragchews I hear are of the "what I'm busy dying of variety"... Sweet jesus...

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:19:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

10/10

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:46:58 PM EDT
[#28]
I don't know if the serious health issue deal was directed at me.

Anyway. I had tried a few times to get into ham radio and the internet communities either were not new user oriented or were not organized where it was easy to find info. Sometimes you need to find info when you really don't know what category you need to look under when you first start lol. I am learning code mostly because I am off of work till after the first of the year and have lots of time to fill currently. If I were working I'm not sure I would pursue at this point. I'm not sure I will stick with it for the same reason I haven't pursued digital means. To me I like the actual talking part of ham radio and rag chew pretty often even on DX contacts. I am up all night and you often get lots of CQ's that go un answered for long periods in the US from Europe etc...and we rag chew for a while. I enjoy that more than I think I would enjoy morse code and digital currently. Of course it's been 6 months since I've had a face to face interesting conversation with someone.

Came here and really got a step by step approach to get me going that I could find info easily to tailor it to what I wanted to accomplish.

Now excuse me while I start a new thread on suggesting a new antenna.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:38:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Anyway. I had tried a few times to get into ham radio and the internet communities either were not new user oriented or were not organized where it was easy to find info. Sometimes you need to find info when you really don't know what category you need to look under when you first start lol. I am learning code mostly because I am off of work till after the first of the year and have lots of time to fill currently. If I were working I'm not sure I would pursue at this point. I'm not sure I will stick with it for the same reason I haven't pursued digital means. To me I like the actual talking part of ham radio and rag chew pretty often even on DX contacts. I am up all night and you often get lots of CQ's that go un answered for long periods in the US from Europe etc...and we rag chew for a while. I enjoy that more than I think I would enjoy morse code and digital currently. Of course it's been 6 months since I've had a face to face interesting conversation with someone.

Came here and really got a step by step approach to get me going that I could find info easily to tailor it to what I wanted to accomplish.

View Quote

Pretty sure that was directed at the old fogies who only use ham radios to talk about their health issues and the weather. Not you
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:45:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nathan, my comments were certainly not aimed at you.  You have a lot more to talk about than just health issues.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:50:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Naw,they weren't directed at you. Tune up 80m of an evening and hear the "old guys" talking about being hobbled up by a corn on their big toe that would bring most men to their knees. Or maybe a conversation about the XYL having lactose intolerance and all the "noise she makes" passing gas.

As all have said before, this is the best forum to be found. My first questions here were about my first hf antenna build. I only had a few post  but that didn't seem to matter to anyone. There were plenty of guys stepping up to talk me through it. I appreciate all there is to learn here without the B.S.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:14:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

The health issue joke was not directed at you. Sorry if you got offended. I was not even aware you had serious issues. I've been struggling with serious back problems myself.
It's an old joke about Ham operators only talking about their health issues and nothing else.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:51:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Yeah there's the old grumpy fart factor in the hobby. Got a taste within the first month of being licensed. Dude pissed and moaned about Techs being allowed to apply for vanity calls. He just happened to be the current president of a club I belonged to. Quit that club in a hurry. As one said give it time. Those guys are dying off and honestly 10 years is about right where nearly everyone will be a no coder.

Quoted:
Yeah half the ragchews I hear are of the "what I'm busy dying of variety"... Sweet jesus...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Half? Maybe more.

This kind of stuff is why I steer away from ragchews entirely. Got burned early in my ham career. Like I don't know you but you're willing to go on and on about what you had for breakfast and the results of your colonoscopy. I DON"T CARE. Just like how much ram is in your computer during those PSK31 macro QSOs. I DON"T CARE. Want to discuss cathode biasing in homebrew tube rigs or the holy grail of reloaders, what the load recipe of Federal Gold Medal 168gr in .308 is? Alrighty then I'm in.

Ragchews is mostly a USA thing. Had a email exchange with an expat in Turkey concerning homebrew tube gear. Subject was VFO drift. He stated that sig report, name, QTH is the norm in EU. QSOs didn't go long enough to notice VFO drift. US hams are the only ones who bitch that you drifted 10hz in a 30 minute QSO.

However with that said one of my most memorable QSOs was with St Helena Is. 12m phone at the bottom of the solar cycle. Discussion ran 20 minutes about a whole range of subjects including politics and a mutual distrust of the media. Learned much about what it's like to live out in the middle of BFE. Guess as long as you don't go on about yourself ad nauseam I'll meet you halfway.

Quoted:
And with CW you can work the world on 50w and simple rigs. Myself I throw 80gr SMKs at X-rings at 600yd with irons. Embrace the challenge.

On topic this IS the best ham forum out there. Civil. Always willing to help the new guy. Accurate info. Broad range of interests where one post will find 'the guy' who's thing is what you're asking about.

ETA: Added a bit about ragchews.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:59:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
...To me I like the actual talking part of ham radio and rag chew pretty often even on DX contacts...
View Quote

After a little while, CW becomes a second language. Most of my operating is ragchewing with the paddle of my trusty 1922 vintage Vibroplex Original between my fingers, chatting away about whatever comes to mind, be it guns, horses, fishing, NASCAR, or homebrew rigs. Believe it or not, it soon becomes easier to send CW than to talk, and it's a heck of a lot easier to pull CW out of a high noise level than it is voice.

During the winter, I set up a rig next to my recliner in the living room with my key in my lap and 'phones on, chatting away while my wife watches TV or reads.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:15:13 PM EDT
[#35]
I guess I act older than I am. I like talking weather lol. I haven't reached the point in life where I watch the weather channel 24/7 yet however.
That's one of the reasons I normally try to rag chew on DX instead of local because they don't seem to have a common theme that is almost like fill in a form.

I've had a couple in Germany and a few in Australia/New Zealand that lated 30 minutes or so. But like I said most of those come at 4am US time.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:57:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
And in 10 years every single ham out there will be NO CODE...
View Quote

ohMy

I'm whatcha call a low code Extra and srsly I hope I got more than 10 years left, I want to at least retire before I assume room temperature!

But no-coders chive on, even 36 years ago when I had to do it, my opinion was that Morse code ought not be a requirement (this is 1978 after all and we have gone to the moon with roger-beeps and stuff).   Best of both worlds now, we can still use it if we want and if we never touch a key that's okay too.

Just don't kill me off, quite yet!
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:22:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

ohMy

I'm whatcha call a low code Extra and srsly I hope I got more than 10 years left, I want to at least retire before I assume room temperature!

But no-coders chive on, even 36 years ago when I had to do it, my opinion was that Morse code ought not be a requirement (this is 1978 after all and we have gone to the moon with roger-beeps and stuff).   Best of both worlds now, we can still use it if we want and if we never touch a key that's okay too.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
And in 10 years every single ham out there will be NO CODE...

ohMy

I was gonna say the same thing.  I just turned 50 and hope I can make at least a little past 60!  
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:50:10 PM EDT
[#38]

where else would i have to put up with this??!?!?!?!?

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:56:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Is that a 2M dipole in your living room?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:39:43 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Is that a 2M dipole in your living room?
View Quote

no.

i'm just happy to see you guys.  

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:58:56 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:18:13 AM EDT
[#42]
Although this forum was not responsible for pursuing my ticket, it certainly wouldn't have happened in such short order without it.  The encouraging tone, step by step instructions, informative threads and enticing pictures made it readily attainable.  You should all be commended for the welcoming little community you have set-up and nurtured.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:41:56 AM EDT
[#43]
If you think the no code hams have a lot of old timers complaining you should have been around when SSB replaced AM.  It is just a fact of life that people resist change (some at least). I think most hams welcome new blood but there will always be the AHs and they are always the most vocal. Back in the late 60s incentive licenses caused a lot of hate also (in 1968 I had full privileges as a General and in 1969 I didn't ( promoted by ARRL).  In over 40 years I have tried most modes and use a lot of them. The wife has a license because of the VE program and upgraded to General from Teck+ with out retesting. We like to remember the good old days, but today is the good old days. In 1968 a Transceiver would cost $600.00 minimum (a lot of money as the dollar would by 10 time what it does now and that radio was very basic compared to a basic radio now.

Ya I had to go to an FCC office to test and had to pass the code test (it took be 4 times to get past the 20 wpm test) so what  Some of the new hams are not only using computers but building and writing the programs to operate them.  This Forum is the only one I read and agree it is great keep on shearing ( this is where I got my start in digital ).

Just the thoughts from an old grouch WA7IIR
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:45:19 AM EDT
[#44]
Bunch of enablers, that's what you guys are.

"Here, just buy this $30 HT and get your tech ticket"

It was a trap. Now I'm putting some Ham Radio Outlet guy's kids through college
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:25:46 AM EDT
[#45]
A lot of the resistance to SSB was because available equipment took some time to catch up with the technology. The signal is much more difficult to generate and detect. Instead of simply slapping a modulator (basically a high power audio amplifier with a high impedance output) in the B+ to the final amplifier, all the stages beyond the SSB generator had to be linear, and tuning them was a lot different than Class C drivers and finals. To generate SSB, either phasing or filter techniques were used, both very critical to build and adjust. SSB is generated at one frequency, and hetrodyning has to be used instead of frequency multiplication to get the desired output frequency. Plus both transmitters and receivers had to be much more stable than what was generally available. Consider how easy it is to tune in an AM signal (think: broadcast) when compared to SSB. If a signal drifted while operating AM, the strength dropped off a bit, and with CW operation, the tone merely changed and in both cases the transmitter and/or receiver was easily re-tuned. With SSB the signal becomes an undecipherable babble reminiscent of Donald Duck during one of his temper tantrums. Get a ragchew going with several people involved and the problem multiplies exponentially. And if you were in a formal net, you had a crystal for that frequency.

Today's microprocessor-based equipment does all the hard stuff for you.

FWIW, my first SSB transmitter (actually an exciter) was a used Central Electronics Model 10A CLICK HERE and download the 10A brochure to read what was involved in putting an SSB signal on the air, including the part about either going crystal controlled, of converting WWII surplus gear for use as a VFO. The exciter only put out about 10 Watts PEP. I followed it up with a homebrew 6146 linear amplifier to give about 75 Watts PEP out.

SSB in the old days wasn't for the faint of heart -- or slim of wallet.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:34:09 AM EDT
[#46]
ARF Ham is fine and I come here a lot. But, this isn't the place I'd go to for serious ham talk/information.  If I need to know something I go to QRZ or EHam.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:03:14 AM EDT
[#47]
I visit "the Zed", but have witnessed too much of the intolerance mentioned above to feel comfortable there -- and I'm one of the Old Farts!
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:52:51 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

View Quote

I was also inspired by ARFHAM/ARJedi 101 sticky to study for and earn my ticket. It all began innocently enough. While navigating to the survival discussions, a frequent haunt back then, I decided to stop by the HAM forum. Now I know how to do a little bit more than PTT and say breaker-breaker. lol. As far as ARFHAM being the best, oh yea, hands down. I can't EVER get through the first page of topic threads at QRZ. So much over there. Been that way for the entire time that I've had interest in radio.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:59:27 AM EDT
[#49]
what's QRZ.... seriously, I so rarely visit I almost totally forgot to mention in Episode 9 when referencing 'good Ham Radio sites to visit'
it was a True Face Palm moment for sure!  oh well...ARFCOM suits me just fine!
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:14:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Zed is good for callsign lookups and swapmeet.

You can't read a thread on there without having to weed through post whores and STUPID one line jokes that always derail the thread.

ETA:  I'll vist ARFCOM 10x without looking elsewhere.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top