Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/28/2014 11:42:53 PM EDT
I'm getting excellent reception on my Larsen NMO-2/70SH.

I attribute that as follows:

90% mounting position (center roof)
10% antenna
5% power out

That's right, 105%. I figure there's some overlap in there lol.

At full power, 75w VHF, I can kerchunk a repeater 40 miles away according to google earth. I can't copy someone responding but it does give me a semblance of the fringe.

I find that I'm getting 7-8 miles, simplex, mobile to mobile. Further than that, simplex, depending on the station elevation.  

For example, one particular op has a 45ft tower. He receives everyone.  He gives me S3 around 20 miles.

Now I'm curious how the full size Larsen 2/70B would do. My understanding is that it is a gain antenna, a 5/8 wave.

It's a bit tall so I'm thinking it will live in the trunk and come out for the long road trips.

You know, if the performance is worth the investment, if that makes sense.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:38:52 AM EDT
[#1]
The 2/70B is a half wave on 2m and a colinear on 440.  Theoretical gain is like 2.4dB on 2m, half waves tend to be quieter on receive so that might help you some also.  Plus getting the radiation pattern maximum a little higher off the ground and lower elevation.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:14:28 AM EDT
[#2]
I have that antenna that you have on my truck.   I live in a county that is not flat.  I want my radio to talk to hill tops that are several thousand feet higher than where I am normally.  The antenna is not a gain antenna, basically it is 1/4 wave.  If I lived in the eastern part of my state I would consider a gain antenna.  I have a larger, dual band antenna to use when I am in the open country.

You live in FL and it is a mostly flat state.  I would consider a gain antenna that has a different pattern than a 1/4 wave unless you need to park in a low parking garage.

Take a look at what the patterns that gain antennas radiate compared to simple 1/4 wave antennas.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:50:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I run 5/8's wave for aprs and 1/4 for my 2m/70cm in the Texas Hill country...no issues here
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top