Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2014 10:50:13 AM EDT

Finally got through to Mr. Woodley and he said it is legal.

I am still working on a 160m center-loaded.

I will also try to find an 80m solution.

Original thread follows----------------------------------------------------------------

As noted in other threads I will be operating from the BVI next February.

Planning to operate on 20m and 40m mostly.

Elijah brought up the lower bands don't get much traffic out of there so I got a $20 MFJ-1660T coming.

Looking at the license it says

Frequencies - ALL ITU approved bands (Region 2)
Power - Max 400W PEP
Type of Transmission - ITU approved modes

So no problem using 60m, right, as long as there isn't any primary traffic?

I looked at the DX needs on Clublog and it didn't show ANY 60m for the BVI, which was what got me wondering.

Opinions/comments?  The 1660T may stink at radiating anyway, but I figure I can try it if it would be popular.

Well I guess it was a good question after all.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:34:20 PM EDT
[#1]
From the 60m Wiki page "At present there is no worldwide common International Telecommunication Union (ITU) frequency allocation as is the case with other amateur radio bands." I don't think it will fly unless the BVI is still under the Brit version of the FCC.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:09:10 PM EDT
[#2]
http://www.vihamradio.org/community/bvis.php

I found this link to the British Virgin Islands Amateur Radio League. Contact them and ask to see if 60m is authorized.

I also found the link to the British Virgin Islands Telecommunications Regulatory Commission.  

http://www.trc.vg/?option=com_content&view=article&id=98:application-forms&catid=14:sample-data-articles&Itemid=488

You might have to actually apply for a reciprocal license to operate ham radio in British Virgin Islands.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:29:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You might have to actually apply for a reciprocal license to operate ham radio in British Virgin Islands.
View Quote

I already have my reciprocal license.

I was quoting it in the first post.

It says ITU region 2 bands.  That's the same I live by here.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 7:24:08 AM EDT
[#4]
I have never heard or worked anyone from the BVI on 60m, but I have worked the UK.

I am sure an email to confirm would be your best bet.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 6:31:30 PM EDT
[#5]
160m and 80m would make me happy as a clam
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 11:46:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah...OK...you figure out a way to do that from a 37ft long boat and I'll try it.

I guess I can see what the 20m endfedz looks like at 80m...that's 1/4 wave, right?

160...maybe a kite?
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 1:50:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yeah...OK...you figure out a way to do that from a 37ft long boat and I'll try it.

I guess I can see what the 20m endfedz looks like at 80m...that's 1/4 wave, right?

160...maybe a kite?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

160...maybe a kite?

Might this boat have a mast?
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 3:45:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Might this boat have a mast?
View Quote

Nope...power cat.

I will have two crappy poles though.  Even with these topped out I still only get about 90 feet of wire. So 80 I can try.  160 I'd need 130 ft for 1/4 wave.

I am shopping kites and really thin wire though.  The kites would be fun anyway.  Yes, I know about static.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 10:31:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 7:48:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Hmmmmm...
View Quote

I'd be willing to help you do some OTA testing of this prior to you leaving.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:02:17 PM EDT
[#11]
60m is not an ITU amateur band.

UK has 5MHz operating privileges, see:  http://rsgb.org/main/operating/band-plans/hf/5mhz/

I can't find if that applies to BVI or not.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:58:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

UK has 5MHz operating privileges, see:  http://rsgb.org/main/operating/band-plans/hf/5mhz/

View Quote

Me neither.

I sent them an email cause I was worried K9-bob was gonna explode.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 9:00:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmmmm...

Challenge accepted!

A bit annoying as I just ordered the 60m stick the other day by itself...wish I had found that article first.

Still...$20 ain't breaking the bank.  Any idea what 11m stick the guy might have used...or where I look for an 11m stick?  MFJ doesn't seem to have them.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 9:02:40 PM EDT
[#14]
double tap

<checks sear>
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 10:46:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Me neither.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me neither.

No I wasn't going to explode.....but I didn't want to have to send a bribe to an official to get you out of radio prison should 60m not be legal.

I also emailed them to find out if it was legal or not.  

Maybe someday the US will get us off the channel allocations and give us some actual space to work some DX with.  5 channels just doesn't cut it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:31:16 PM EDT
[#16]

Well you were right Elijah...apparently my expedition got posted someplace and already getting emails asking about 160m.  :D

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:33:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Well you were right Elijah...apparently my expedition got posted someplace and already getting emails asking about 160m.  :D

View Quote

I didn't post it anywhere, but I know that 160m is in huge demand.   You are good with CW right???
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 4:05:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I didn't post it anywhere, but I know that 160m is in huge demand.   You are good with CW right???
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good?  Not so much, but I can struggle through slowly.  Is that what the 160m folks will want or are you just assuming weak signal?  I was already considering digi modes if the antenna isn't all that great.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 5:46:24 PM EDT
[#19]
JT-65 or JT-9 would be a good digital mode for 160m. I wish I had room for an antenna.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 9:51:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
JT-65 or JT-9 would be a good digital mode for 160m. I wish I had room for an antenna.
View Quote

Yeah, jt65 was my plan exactly.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 1:49:10 PM EDT
[#21]

Still nothing back from the BVI telecom folks.

But yet another ham contacted me about 60m operations...says h has some forms I might send the BVI folks to get approval.

"Can't stop the signal."
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:26:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Got the 60m hamstick tuned up today.

Still nothing heard from the BVI telecomm guys.  

I tried various stackings of the various hamsticks to try to find a combination that would work on 160m...no dice!

So I think I am going to try mimicking this guys simple pole setup on my crappie rod.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:41:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

You can work 160 from a small lot if you want to, and you still have time before Winter, there are articles about short top-loaded verticals on the web and it won't cost much at all.  I read this some time ago and had been looking for it and thought I'd share since I found it again.  

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/160MPacificon.pdf
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:06:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

You can work 160 from a small lot if you want to, and you still have time before Winter, there are articles about short top-loaded verticals on the web and it won't cost much at all.  I read this some time ago and had been looking for it and thought I'd share since I found it again.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Boat, brother Kwai...I need to work 60m from a 38ft boat...with no mast.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:55:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry for the sidetrack, I was trying to convince K9 Bob to run 160 in his yard.  

I have no direct experience with antennas on the sea, so I can't help you there, sorry.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:09:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Sorry for the sidetrack, I was trying to convince K9 Bob to run 160 in his yard.  

I have no direct experience with antennas on the sea, so I can't help you there, sorry.
View Quote

Oh having seen the top-loaded designs I will for sure be trying something like that here in the yard.

The VNA should make making and adjusting this stuff pretty simple.

/Hagred/ "I shouldn't 'a said that."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top