Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/21/2014 9:49:46 PM EDT
Finally I've had some time to get going on the construction of my Emcomm box.  I want a radio chassis that can work from the desk at the shack or travel to anyone's shack.  The chassis can also be used for Emcomm use via SPUD7 box in either Orange or Green camo (In Arfcom tradition I bought both).
Orange for use in the ARES/RACES group activities and Green camo for the real cool kid stuff.

The gear: FT-857D, FT-8800R, LDG-Z11 ProII, SignaLink, SEC-1223BBM.  

I started today cutting up a 2'x4' sheet of 16 gauge sheet steel and tacked up the panels.

Then thin welded the seams and power sanded the outside seams back smooth. The trapezoid cube shape matching the interior of the SPUD7 box is a bit challenging to weld while preventing warping.
I plan to use 1/4" thick rubber pads on the outside bottom and back of the chassis for shock protection while carrying in the SPUD7 box and desktop protection when used outside the box.

Once everything gets mounted I will remove some of the sheet material in an attempt to lighten up the chassis.  This will also allow for extra ventilation when not used in the SPUD7 box.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:16:24 PM EDT
[#1]
i would remove pretty much the entire rear/bottom leaving only the corners for support. or cut holes on the sides to install a 12v fan on one side/bottom to push/pull fresh/cool air into the box.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:43:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm still working out mounting methods for attachment and locations for everything.  The power supply will most likely be mounted in the upper left corner.  The FT-8800R lower left and FT-857D on the lower right with tuner and SignaLink above.
Ventilation and needed access areas will be cut via hole saw and angle grinder with a cutoff wheel.  Right now, one SPUD7 with the metal chassis only and the other SPUD7 loaded with the power supply, both radios and tuner weigh just about equal.  The chassis should end up with about 60 to 70% less material.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 10:00:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I have the two radios mounted.  The speakers for the radios are on top so I'd like to leave some space just above the radios for sound.

I need some suggestions for mounting the power supply in the upper left corner and the tuner and SignaLink on the right but not necessarily the upper right top corner. (I need to verify my attaching cord lengths) Cords are long enough to install SignaLink and the tuner at top edge of chassis.
My thoughts right now are to weld in some shelving and to bend some strapping clamp for securing each device.

Edited with strike out and add pic.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 10:56:45 AM EDT
[#4]
That was my thought. Since you are already welding why not weld up some pockets for the power supply and tuner.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:08:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Slow going today, I was only able to get one shelf added but when welded-in I warped the side panel.  I had to cut and redo some of the welds after reshaping. Next week I'll have access to a sheet metal brake for making the retention straps.
I hole sawed holes in the side panel for access the radio mount screw locations.

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 8:13:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Today I was able to get the power supply shelf cut and installed.  Also began to lighten up the chassis. Other than the Samlex power supply I have an Alinco DM-330MV which is 1/4" taller than the Samlex PS.  With this in mind as a possible backup PS I added room when locating the shelf.  

I can post up some more pics of the metal fabrication if there is interest.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 8:06:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Update more access holes cut, some wiring done, RigRunner with USB installed and digital is setup for the FT-857D.
I took the box along for a 4 County EOC ARES/RACES SET (simulated emergency test).  We ran testing of Digital on 2 Meter.  My box had a 100% copy on a 33 mile signal on 2 Meter with no terrain obstruction but neither side had any real elevation advantage.

After a successful maiden voyage everything is now removed and chassis is primed.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 8:09:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Purdy

Nice work
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 4:45:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Wow, way nice. Great job (and great welding--reminds me I have to get back to my practicing on that).
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 6:19:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks guys, this is my first project using thin sheet steel alone and not using tubular steel for structural support. About 10 years ago I took a night class, Intro to Welding at the local Junior College. Around a year later the school offered concentrated two week long all day classes for TIG and Advanced TIG.  I took vacation off from work and thoroughly enjoyed the classes.  I only bought myself a 220v Mig welder but have access to a couple Tig welders at a friends shop.

The Orange Emcomm box was a big hit at the event. Some pictures were taken by the guys to share with the other local ARES/RACES groups.  I did need to pull out the chassis from the plastic to access the back.  Both using from the box and chassis removed worked well on the counter top in the trailer. I may need to do a couple presentations at up coming meetings to spread the Orange message. (Jedi's fault). I even used a Orange Home Depot 5 gallon bucket with Gama-lid as my seat while containing gear and cabling.

Added picture: from this spring as I started to gather parts and look at configurations.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 8:58:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 9:30:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Last night I missed the Arfcom Digital Net though I do have a good excuse.  I was out in the garage making the clamping strap for the tuner and SignaLink.
Who would have thought it would have take so much time to make.  At least the power supply strap should go much simpler.

Link Posted: 10/10/2014 9:25:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Like that brake you have there. I have a 36 inch one I bought from HF. It does ok up to 20 ga, but I have to use extra clamps.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 9:58:26 AM EDT
[#14]

pay attention now children:

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Orange Emcomm box was a big hit at the event.
View Quote

ar-jedi

ps: nice work!!!
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 7:47:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Like that brake you have there. I have a 36 inch one I bought from HF. It does ok up to 20 ga, but I have to use extra clamps.
View Quote

The bender belongs to a friend it is 24" up to 18 gauge.  It had no trouble doing the 90s under 2" wide in 16 gauge for the straps. I made right angle bends and cut them out then welded them in order because of the size of the clamp bar.  It's mounted for use in receiver mounts.

The major fabrication is now done.  Maybe some fine tuning down the road. I picked up some adhesive padding for the underside of the straps to be applied after the paint dries.  Monday I bring the completed Orange boxed chassis for a little show and tell with the larger ARES/RACES group.

Link Posted: 10/11/2014 8:02:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Nice fabrication skillz, Tangotag.  Looks great!
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 9:41:36 PM EDT
[#17]
dats tight

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 7:22:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Looking good, Great job!  However, the other question is how much does it weigh?
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 10:31:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Looking good, Great job!  However, the other question is how much does it weigh?
View Quote

Not sure exactly the weight but it is less than a topped off MFC and GI 5 gallon water can.  So easily under 40 pounds for sure.  The 2'x4' 16 gauge sheet is 20 pounds itself and there is still material left for other projects.  

Finally all together with foam padding installed on straps.  The whole setup can be now be run in the opening facing up position too.

Checking the ALC on the FT-857D with the Tx dial on SignaLink transmitting into the dummy load.  Everything worked great.

Edit: add led lighting pic.

Added published weights: FT-857D 4.6lbs, FT-8800R 2.2lbs, SEC Power Supply 3.4lbs, SignaLink 0.4 lbs, LDG Tuner, 1.5lbs, RigRunner 0.4 lbs, Spuds7 (Shipping 6) going with 5 lbs = 17.5lbs.
Don't forget welding wire, seam sealer, primer, paint, mounts, straps, USB LED light, and fasteners.  What is not counted it the number of 4" cut-off wheels I burned through cutting the steel sheeting and metal grinding dust sucked into my lungs or the amount of welds that I removed with the flap sanding disk.  It's not called "The Black Snot Shop" for nothing.
Total weight of project currently comes in at 34.5 lbs, maybe some more steel removal down the road. I do have a preference in having things over engineered.  For now it will get used as is.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 10:33:37 PM EDT
[#20]
I ran Emcomm box in the digital net tonight.  New OS Linux Mint 17.1 on the laptop and Fldigi at version 3.21.80.  Still some tweaking on the digital side to go on the transmitting side but receiving was great.  It may have been issues on the Laptop or how I had the tuner running.  I am heavily considering adding the TCXO-9 module for the FT-857D.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top