Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2014 7:49:15 PM EDT
Through some skillful maneuvering, we converted the dining room that was formerly my daughter's nursery in to my little cordoned off hobby area, and I've never been so happy in my life.  We live in a small apartment and the extra bedroom that had previously been used for storage is now my daughter's bedroom.  My wife had been trying to get me to do this since my daughter was born but I swore it would never work.  Lesson learned - listen to your wife!  I wish we had done this previously.  Also, it's amazing what some storage racks and bins can do from Costco.  I can't tell you how nice it is to have everything neatly organized.  First, the beauty shot.  Two primary desks - one test/electronics workbench (posted before) and a real "desk" used for radio, audio/video editing, and general work.  The desk is a Studio Trends 46" mixing desk, available at Guitar Center.  It comes in Cherry and Maple.  This desk is designed for music production and comes with 2 4U Rack bays.  It's all pressboard, but I think it's a steal for the money.  If you are interested in this desk, let me know and I can put you in touch with my sales guy at Guitar Center (I have no interest in GC other than my sales guy is awesome).

The left bay of the main desk is my VHF/UHF side.  I have an ID-5100 and a Uniden BCD536 scanner on a rack shelf.  Beneath that I have a venerable Samlex SEC 1235 PSU, a Powergate, and a USB Enabled Rig runner.  The display monitor is an LG 27" 1920x1080 IPS display.  The audio monitors are JBL LSR305s which are an absolute steal in their price range.  They punch WAY above their weight.  

In the right corner is my pro audio gear, used to drive the JBLs and as the input for my podcasting exploits on FoTime!.  The audio interface is a Focusrite Forte.  The microphone is a Shure SM-7B, and the headphones are Audio-Technica AT-50Xs.  The mic is mounted on a Heil heavy duty boom.

Finally, you have my workbench which has been covered before.

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:01:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks great!  I wish mine was that clean...
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:07:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Oh that is just beautiful.  I'm not even going to start in on how jealous I am.

Congrats on the awesome shack!
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:17:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks fantastic, echomancer!  It's nice to carve out a corner for just your stuff, isn't it?  
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:18:00 PM EDT
[#4]
All I see are little blue question marks....are you the Riddler?
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:24:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I see a sonic screwdriver and a light saber?
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:25:14 PM EDT
[#6]
YES!!!

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:28:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks nice!

Now that cool weather seems to be on us, I can get the shack room cleaned out and the stuff put in the storage building I built. Looking forward to getting on the air this winter after being inactive for so long.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 9:01:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Mmmmm, >90° of happiness!
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 9:21:54 PM EDT
[#9]
What's the box on the second shelf, right of the sonic screwdriver under the monitor?
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 9:42:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Guitar Center FTW!

SM7, Focusrite & JBL

Now all you need is an ESSB capable HF rig, like maybe a Flex--get on it, dude!!!

P.S. Got the Behringer B1 and a UMC-202, just need me a pair of those JBLs
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:00:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What's the box on the second shelf, right of the sonic screwdriver under the monitor?
View Quote

It's a Kinivo 3 Port HDMI Switch.  The monitor only has one HDMI and one analog port, so I needed this to switch devices.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:06:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Nice!  

I think a shelf or two would be a nice addition to my work bench. Maybe that will be my next project.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:08:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Guitar Center FTW!

SM7, Focusrite & JBL

Now all you need is an ESSB capable HF rig, like maybe a Flex--get on it, dude!!!

P.S. Got the Behringer B1 and a UMC-202, just need me a pair of those JBLs
View Quote

I think my KX3 will do ESSB  The bay on the right will be an HF rig one day when I live somewhere where I can do HF

Recording/pro audio used to be another hobby of mine long before guns, radios, and cameras.  I sold off 90% of my equipment, but still had adecent locker of mics, but I really liked the way this one sounds for my voice.  The other little blue box is a "Cloud Lifter" which, when phantom power is applied, it will add a crystal clean 20db of gain
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:22:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
...I sold off 90% of my equipment...
View Quote

Yes, but since you got some awesome DAW software with that Focusrite you no longer need "equipment"

Heck, man, I'm running Audiomulch here and probably have the equivalent of $50K of virtual equipment in my PC that cost me almost nothing
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:26:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Nice looking shack!
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:32:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yes, but since you got some awesome DAW software with that Focusrite you no longer need "equipment"

Heck, man, I'm running Audiomulch here and probably have the equivalent of $50K of virtual equipment in my PC that cost me almost nothing
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm only using Logic Pro X at this point.  Also, I'm only using it to record and edit the interviews I do for the podcast.  The interface came with Cubase light or something.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:52:16 PM EDT
[#17]

nice setup!

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:54:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 11:17:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
<a href="http://imgur.com/04B7end" target="_blank">http://i.imgur.com/04B7end.jpg</a>
View Quote

I'm confused...
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 11:25:17 PM EDT
[#20]
OP....that is not a ham shack.  It looks more like a shrine!
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 12:12:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I'm confused...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<a href="http://imgur.com/04B7end" target="_blank">http://i.imgur.com/04B7end.jpg</a>

I'm confused...

I'm thinking someone has echolink on their phone, so your shack is where ever you are.  Right?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 1:50:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Geez. For me to get to the workbench to do some soldering I first have to unbolt the reloading press, sweep out the spilled powder ....

And my operating position involves a $5 Wal-Mart chair and a laptop that really is in my lap. I mean you have a DESK, like a real desk that isn't used part time for something else.

Enjoy it. You have something that some of us dream of.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 8:09:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Imagine you two doing a Fo Time Podcast about digital modes....talk about fidelity!
I vote: yes
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:04:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Now that would an awesome FoTime!

Quoted:

Imagine you two doing a Fo Time Podcast about digital modes....talk about fidelity!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:29:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

thirded.

also, that is a pretty dope setup, my friend.  i like the mic boom & the 90 degree desk x2 setup.

lastly, your humble Youtube subscriber is wondering when Part 3 of the sweet Pelican Box lithium battery solar setup is going to make its appearance.  i keep hitting F5 on Youtube, but it's not working.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 5:02:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Very nice!    But needs moar HF for sure!
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:25:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

thirded.

also, that is a pretty dope setup, my friend.  i like the mic boom & the 90 degree desk x2 setup.

lastly, your humble Youtube subscriber is wondering when Part 3 of the sweet Pelican Box lithium battery solar setup is going to make its appearance.  i keep hitting F5 on Youtube, but it's not working.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

thirded.

Oh man, I'm all like and stuff. Echomancer has been trying to get me on the show for a while now. But I'm not a great public speaker without Powerpoint
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:23:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

At this point, I have all the equipment.  GCW and I have been talking about fabrication and final assembly, but this project is probably on hold until late October/early November due to work commitments that are taking up my time as this is the busy season at work.  Rest assured that it will be done before next field day
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top