Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/1/2014 9:52:51 PM EDT
TriSquare apparently has gone the way of the dodo.

They rocked ! I should have bought a dozen.

What successor to the TriSquare TSX 300 should I be looking for ?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:21:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Hmmm, Looks like they were 900 Mhz ISM License-free digital radios. A comparable product would be the Motorola DTR410, but they're not cheap at all: Link

Hopefully somebody will post up a more cost-effective, comparable solution. Best of luck, OP!

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:47:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the link  

Cost is somewhat important but not a deal breaker. For example the capability to use AA batteries in a pinch out ranks price.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:28:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought a dozen

In addition to the DTR series from motorola, there are some that use MOTO Talk iDEN / Nextel phones
as secure walkie-talkies. They don't require a working cell net (IIRC iDEN's network service was terminated a while ago.)

This is common enough that the phone are still sold on ebay, etc.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:52:30 AM EDT
[#4]
I almost went with the Tri-Square radios, did MURS instead.... no idea where to point you though, sorry

"There are a few different alternatives to the standard VHF/UHF HT that many of you are running as a squad radio. "
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:13:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I bought a dozen
View Quote

A dozen of the Moto's? If so, how well do they work? I looked at the spec's and see that they are only 1W radios. I currently use MURS around the property but I'd consider buying a few of the Moto's for privacy if I could be guaranteed a 1 mile range though heavy woods (but otherwise line of sight, terrain-wise).

The "MURS" radios I am currently using (a "very common radio", wink, nudge, say no more ) work quite well and net me about 2 miles, give or take some woods. They also interop very well with my Dakota Alert MURS driveway sensor. So well, in fact, that my old dog learned that when we were out and about, if we heard the driveway sensor on the radio, she would ask if she could run all the way home to see who it was. Sometimes, if I was expecting it to be a friend or the XYL, I'd let her The new dogs haven't learned this...yet.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:42:41 PM EDT
[#6]
A dozen of the TriSquares, not the Motos.

My experience with the TriSquares (which are 1W as well) is they're about a 1 miles radio. They're
better in range than the FRS radios I replaced them with, and the range can open up a lot with true
LOS as you'd expect at 900 MHz. My brother (who isn't a ham) and I use them when we're traveling
in two trucks, and we definitely can stay in touch on the road past one mile, and sometimes as far as
five.

The hop rate is relatively slow (probably about 5-10 hops per second) and they're NBFM so there's no
coding gain to speak of. I'm pretty sure the motos are somewhat similar (FHSS and not DSSS) but when
I researched the motos (not the iDen phones but the radios) one plus was apparently they have programmable
hop sets, so if you're in an area with 900MHz pagers you can hop around them.

The moto is without a doubt a better-contructed radio, though I haven't tested it. I think there's a very
decent chance you'd get a mile range, though I'd be nervous about the heavy woods.

Link Posted: 9/4/2014 11:58:43 PM EDT
[#7]
This MURS thing looks interesting as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top