Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2014 8:39:07 PM EDT
I have an unused satellite TV dish on my roof, going to ask the landlord if I can have it if it is.

I've got a Linksys I can retask for BBHN, I'm thinking this is about the freq the dish should be good for.  Do correct me if I'm mistaken.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 8:57:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Some people replace the LNB with a directional wifi antenna for long run links...but unless you are really into the DIY aspect of it, you can get an Ubiquity (sp?) dish/antenna/ mesh flashable router all in one for relative cheap that will transmit with higher power than your typical WRT router.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 9:49:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Link?
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 11:28:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Link?
View Quote

http://www.ubnt.com/airmax/powerbeam/
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 11:31:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Is it a round or oval dish?  If the larger oval (24"x18"-ish), while not ham related, can be used for FTA (free-to-air) TV.  You would just need to swap to a linear polarized LNB (all pay satellite services use a circularly polarized LNB), and either a USB receiver for computer use or a stand-alone receiver.  LNBs cost about $29, receivers from $49 for a USB, to $79 for an entry-level stand-alone.  There are a tremendous amount of TV and radio stations from across the globe available unencrypted for free.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 1:03:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I've done this, put a homebrew Cantenna on it, shot a signal across Galveston Bay, from Pelican Island over to Seawall Boulevard.  Several miles.

Hint, put a wifi dongle right up in the can, up on the dish.  run a USB Male/Female extension cable up to the dongle.  No coax loss that way.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 1:41:10 PM EDT
[#6]
This is what I use:

This

+

High power Ubiquity device connected directly to the antenna. Powered over ethernet and can be flashed with BBHN firmware.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 2:27:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all the info!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top