Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2014 12:53:20 PM EDT
Is a DSTAR contact with Ukraine (Just tossing Ukraine in there.  No particular reason):

- The same as a LSB 100 watt contact w/ Ukraine?
- The same as a PSK-31 w/ Ukraine?

IMO, DSTAR is sort of cheating.  However, I have been enjoying the crap out of PSK-31 on 20 meters.  I enjoyed the journey  to get there.  (Digging the hole, cementing my post, tuning the antenna, hanging the antenna, retuning the antenna, ground running, cable soldering and terminating, setting up the software, etc.)  

Is a PSK-31 a lesser of a contact?  Different category?  It does require a lot less power.  It does not require any real knowledge or experience with filters or pass bands. The computer translates the signal for you (instead of having to use a trained/tuned ear to hear a person's call sign through the QRM...

Just curious....
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 12:55:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think "wothyness" has anything to do with it.

If you enjoy it, WIN!

The rest is just details.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:10:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you enjoy it, WIN!
View Quote
This.

Just today had a long ragchew on 12m PSK31 with a guy who helped a bunch in me getting Triple Play Award. Basically getting caught up on what we're doing in ham radio. Just before that was Cyprus on 12m PSK63 for a new band slot. Also helped a guy with a CW QSO on 40m to fill a slot he needed. All good and all worthwhile.

Now amateur radio over the internet such as Echolink I have a different opinion on. APRS excepted.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:12:12 PM EDT
[#3]
The only rules that apply are those of the award or contests that you want.  There are some discussions at the ARRL about how to handle "remote stations" and "remotely operated stations" for this very reason. I an not into awards or even contesting.   Personally I think its cool no matter how you do it.  Just making the contact is impressive.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:40:16 PM EDT
[#4]
CW contacts are greater than all other contacts combined.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:40:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Is a DSTAR contact with Ukraine (Just tossing Ukraine in there.  No particular reason):

- The same as a LSB 100 watt contact w/ Ukraine?
- The same as a PSK-31 w/ Ukraine?

IMO, DSTAR is sort of cheating.  However, I have been enjoying the crap out of PSK-31 on 20 meters.  I enjoyed the journey  to get there.  (Digging the hole, cementing my post, tuning the antenna, hanging the antenna, retuning the antenna, ground running, cable soldering and terminating, setting up the software, etc.)  

Is a PSK-31 a lesser of a contact?  Different category?  It does require a lot less power.  It does not require any real knowledge or experience with filters or pass bands. The computer translates the signal for you (instead of having to use a trained/tuned ear to hear a person's call sign through the QRM...

Just curious....
View Quote

I don't want to get into a big discussion about digital codecs, so please don't respond if you're going there.

But, assuming you're talking about D*Star over HF and not over the Internet, why would D*Star be cheating?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:59:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
CW contacts are greater than all other contacts combined.

this+1000

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:37:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Is it fun, That's all that matters

To me getting a Clear Analog SSTV contact is one of the hardest to make
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:54:16 PM EDT
[#8]
The next one that I don't have is almost always the best contact.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:13:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I only work CW. The "worthiness" of the contact is based on how low my power was and the rarity of the location.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:46:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I rate mine by the degree of difficulty. CW = infinity (because I am no-code ), phone is next, digital after that and JT65 lowest on the totem pole. I don't count anything that uses the internet.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:28:28 PM EDT
[#11]
I had a Dstar radio for about 6 months and made a few "DX" contacts through the reflector, but I don't really consider those contacts as real DX.

Now having said that, it was really nice to have a perfect copy with no fading when working those stations.....HF contacts are not always as clear.

Dstar reflector contacts don't count for DXCC awards, so for me they just didn't give me the same thrill as working HF.

However it was still cool to chat with people from around the world .

As long as you have fun using Dstar those contacts just as "worthy" as any other contact you might make.

I say enjoy and keep doing what makes you happy.  As for me all HF regardless of the mode is "real DX".
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:57:21 PM EDT
[#12]
My Rankings (in order of worthiness):

ARFHAMS
Rare locations/DXpeditions
Africa
Special Events
.Japan
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:36:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If you enjoy it, WIN!
View Quote

Yep
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:31:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My Rankings (in order of worthiness):

ARFHAMS
Rare locations/DXpeditions
Africa
Special Events
.Japan
View Quote

you know how I know you suck?

imo anything reflected over the internet doesn't "count" - still a contact but not the same as RF only.....
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:46:36 PM EDT
[#15]
I enjoyed making 10 meter FM contacts to Europe and New Zealand this year when it was open!  Something completely new for me.  Also 6 meter AM contacts to the East Coast.

I don't use digital modes much, and I certainly don't consider it cheating, but I do consider contacts with the modes that do well with low signals to be easier than CW or SSB.

Say you're trying to work a weak DXpedition far away, which mode will be easiest and which will be most difficult.  Maybe JT-65, PSK, CW, RTTY, SSB, FM, AM.  Not in any real order, just off of the top of my head.

I say use whatever you like that works for you.  I don't judge how others make contacts, but I do pay attention to how they work for me, and I know which modes work best in different situations for me.  Except for a lot of the digital since I typically use RTTY for DX and that's it.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 9:17:56 AM EDT
[#16]
It has to come DIRECTLY from my radio to someone else's radio with one exception. No internet in between.

If a guy is operating his radio remote and his rig in in Wisconsin and he is in Florida then it counts as a Wisconsin contact.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 9:54:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Milpack>QRP>DX>CONUS QRO

SSB>CW>Data

And I have worked DX with my milpacks, if the other guy can actually understand what I'm doing they are usually impressed.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:48:48 PM EDT
[#18]
I have an AK4 prefix, morons think I'm DX.

I like the modes less used. 10m FM, and HF DSTAR for example.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 12:04:00 AM EDT
[#19]
What's the purpose? Fun? Then worthiness is about how enjoyable it was. However, if the goal is to learn enjoyably the necessary skills to utilize the radio in extremis, then ask yourself what will be available in terms of technology in extremis. IRLP, Echolink, etc. might be useful in a domestic crisis,  e.g., a hurricane or earthquake,  major winter storm or even the early stages of a building crisis such as a pandemic. The HF digital modes like PSK31 are generally more useful for regional or global comms during a crisis, as is SSB. Morse is the King, though... can be used with any radio, even with PTT on an HT if you can't talk for any reason. Small HF rigs like Tuna Tins can be built for almost nothing and make great backups or even primary radios for regional comms in the worst case.

Enjoy it all, but particularly in this forum, think about the skills you're trying to build and practice accordingly. 73...
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:11:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Full disclosure: 99-44/100% pure CW here, preferably with straight key and/or bug.

It depends on: (not necessarily in the order given)
* Whether or not my gear is homebrew, boatanchor, or modern factory-made. A QSO using my home made 5763 crystal-controlled transmitter is worth many times more than one on the K3 -- if I ever get the damned thing back from the factory.
* How interesting the person on the other end is to chat with
* How large the miles/Watt factor is
* Rarity of the location/station
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:41:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The next one that I don't have is almost always the best contact.
View Quote

This.

The neighborhood kid asked me if I had Mongolia and Greenland. I didn't.

A couple of weeks when I got them both I went straight over to his house to let him know.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:48:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If you enjoy it, WIN!
View Quote

Yep, every contact is fun. I enjoy the process and don't get into details of keeping up with DX awards. I also don't like to involve a use of a computer with this hobby. All my logs are on paper.
A contact with Ukraine is fun but it's not a rare DX entity. You can work them almost every day on HF bands.  North Korea would be tough or impossible.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 12:05:48 PM EDT
[#23]
I have DXCC on vonage and skype  

PSK, CW, SSB, on HF are equivilant

DSTAR is not really in definition nor the spirit of radio DXing

I remember when my friend was deployed in the bosnia thing.

We could chat on ICQ, and I thought it was amazing at the time.

The internet is an amazing thing, but it's not DX, and neither is DSTAR

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 12:23:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

DSTAR is not really in definition nor the spirit of radio DXing

The internet is an amazing thing, but it's not DX, and neither is DSTAR

View Quote

DSTAR simplex contacts have been made across the ocean. I have a DSTAR contact with the Azores from Atlanta. With the introduction of the 7100, 9100, as well as some 3rd party boards DX DSTAR contacts are made everyday not connected to the gateway network.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 1:11:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
...simplex...
...I have a DSTAR contact with the Azores from Atlanta. ...
View Quote

OK,.....that IS DX  

what band ?

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 1:44:54 PM EDT
[#26]
I am another that does not think anything through the internet (Echolink, IRLP, etc) counts as DX.  It may be
a perfectly enjoyable QSO, but you are still making contact from your QTH to the local repeater, same as if
you were talking to a ham across the county.

But SSB, Digital, etc, I enjoy the contacts and various modes regardless.  

Power... 25 watts of PSK31 is really pretty much equivalent to 100 watts SSB.  PSK31 is high duty cycle, so,
a solid 25 watts.  SSB is 100 watts only on the peaks, and average power might only be 25 to 30 watts.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 1:56:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

OK,.....that IS DX  

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/derek45/media/Beer-1_zps7ec7991c.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/derek45/Beer-1_zps7ec7991c.jpg</a>

what band ?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
...simplex...
...I have a DSTAR contact with the Azores from Atlanta. ...

OK,.....that IS DX  

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/derek45/media/Beer-1_zps7ec7991c.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/derek45/Beer-1_zps7ec7991c.jpg</a>

what band ?

10m
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top