Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2014 3:19:48 PM EDT
I read a thread awhile back on batteries.   The batteries i have work ok  but i am looking for something different .  any suggestions?  I am running a 710a and a 480 sat in my emmcom box.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 3:35:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 4:31:46 PM EDT
[#2]
If it works, why change it?  What makes you want something different?  One does not simply replace a working battery...
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:54:44 PM EDT
[#3]
The new LiFePo4 batteries look pretty sexy.  Same electrical capacity with less weight, and longer cycle life. We looked at some called super-B (they started out as a motorcycle battery) for field camp use. They used the same charger as our old AGM's, charged quicker, and weighed much less. Better cold weather perfomance as well.

Supposedly the total cost of ownership is about the same as AGM since the cycle life is longer. But the initial cost is higher.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:22:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If it works, why change it?  What makes you want something different?  One does not simply replace a working battery...
View Quote

the batteries i have now aren't lasting as long as they should.  i was running 10 watts on my 710 the other night and immediately it was dropping to 10.5 volts give or take, then would go back up to 12 volts, when i started out i had 13.5 volts.  That and i want something lighter.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:25:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, sounds like they are at the end of their rope.

Best bet is to look at LiFePo4 (Lithium Iron Phosphate).  These days, they are available in many sizes.  They require a lot more care and feeding though to protect against over voltage and under voltage.  Have a look at the video GCW posted to get started understanding the various components to consider and come back with specific questions.  We'll be happy to help!

If you are just looking to spend money with no worry about taking care of the battery, have a look at http://www.bioennopower.com .  I have no experience with their products, but they make large packs with protection built in.

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 2:51:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yeah, sounds like they are at the end of their rope.

Best bet is to look at LiFePo4 (Lithium Iron Phosphate).  These days, they are available in many sizes.  They require a lot more care and feeding though to protect against over voltage and under voltage.  Have a look at the video GCW posted to get started understanding the various components to consider and come back with specific questions.  We'll be happy to help!

If you are just looking to spend money with no worry about taking care of the battery, have a look at http://www.bioennopower.com .  I have no experience with their products, but they make large packs with protection built in.

View Quote

My next question is, will the built in battery maintainer in my samlex power supply be good to recharge the lifepo4 battery?  I sure as heck dont know anything about the lifepro4 batteries.   I just dont want to add any more gear to the box.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:48:28 PM EDT
[#7]
No, because the voltages for LiFePo4 are different.  It may work if you have a battery that has a BMS designed to be a drop in replacement for AGM.  Use an AGM battery and if you have a digital multi meter, you can see what the various voltages are from your unit.  Not familiar with the type of charger built in to that PSU.  What power supply do you have?
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 5:21:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
No, because the voltages for LiFePo4 are different.  It may work if you have a battery that has a BMS designed to be a drop in replacement for AGM.  Use an AGM battery and if you have a digital multi meter, you can see what the various voltages are from your unit.  Not familiar with the type of charger built in to that PSU.  What power supply do you have?
View Quote

samlex 1223 bbm
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 4:36:15 AM EDT
[#9]
send me the 480, that'll help with the current draw in your box....

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:53:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
send me the 480, that'll help with the current draw in your box....

View Quote

OHHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOO....lol
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top