Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:06:28 AM EDT
[#1]
So far I like it more than anything else I've seen for a mobile radio though.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:23:03 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This was my first thought, as well.  i have to wonder how much current it draws.  It seems like they have gone from and all band portable rig, to a small(ish) sized, all band, base station radio.  It does look portable to a certain extent, but I suspect you will need a good power source when you get it to your destination.

We'll see....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

With that big display and all the DSP stuff I bet the power consumption is going to be awful compared to the 897 though.  

This was my first thought, as well.  i have to wonder how much current it draws.  It seems like they have gone from and all band portable rig, to a small(ish) sized, all band, base station radio.  It does look portable to a certain extent, but I suspect you will need a good power source when you get it to your destination.

We'll see....

Worse case, up to twice as much but likely 50% more just sitting there listening.

Comparisons:

FT-897D is 1A Rx (signal present) & 22A Tx

FT DX 1200 is 2.1A Rx (signal present) and 23A Tx

Not sure which model has a closer configuration to the 991, didn't go digging through Yaesu's portfolio.

Link Posted: 9/5/2014 5:42:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Looks like my ideal radio has been created. I've been hoping to see an updated replacment for the outdated 897D. This will be my next purchase to get into the hf world.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 7:56:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Sure would be nice to see a released date or even a review
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 1:14:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice.

Yaesu's Icom 706mkIIg with internal tuner

Link Posted: 9/5/2014 2:38:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Nice.

Yaesu's Icom 706mkIIg with internal tuner

View Quote

Much much more
More like at least the 7000 and maybe the 7100.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 4:29:44 PM EDT
[#7]
My FT-817 is long in the tooth and I've been looking for an updated replacement for it.
The FT-991 appears to be the newest in that line, but I haven't seen any reference to the FT-991 having an internal battery.

While that may not be a deal breaker, doesn't the lack of an internal battery make the FT-991 more of a base/mobile radio rather than a portable like the FT-817?

Just looking and kickin' the tires for now.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 6:26:08 PM EDT
[#8]
No internal battery
No built in sound card interface. The USB is only for firmware upgrades and rig control. That is a shame they couldn't step up to the plate. It is now listed on the Yaesu site.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:19:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
No internal battery
No built in sound card interface. The USB is only for firmware upgrades and rig control. That is a shame they couldn't step up to the plate. It is now listed on the Yaesu site.
View Quote

...or the use of an optional SCU-17 Interface Unit to support USB Audio In/Out, TX Control (PTT, Key, Shift)....

So, it can be, but you have to pay to play.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 6:19:35 AM EDT
[#10]
I already have the SCU-17, I like yaesu products..  I think I will be getting this one. (to date I have: 817nd, ft1dr, ftm-400) kx3 too but who cares. where the hell is my PX3 that I paid for last month?! (don't worry I already contacted them)
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 9:56:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I already have the SCU-17, I like yaesu products..  I think I will be getting this one. (to date I have: 817nd, ft1dr, ftm-400) kx3 too but who cares. where the hell is my PX3 that I paid for last month?! (don't worry I already contacted them)
View Quote

OT

I ordered my PX3 in April and it will be arriving today!  They don't bill your card until it ships.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 10:00:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
No internal battery
View Quote

So I was mislead.  The SCU-17 is basically their version of a rig runner.  Agree - missing onboard audio device is a BIG miss here.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 10:12:34 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
So I was mislead.  The SCU-17 is basically their version of a rig runner.  Agree - missing onboard audio device is a BIG miss here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No internal battery

Giant fail on Yaesu's part.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 10:26:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No internal battery

I think it's intentional, so they can sell you more stuff.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 11:13:46 AM EDT
[#15]
it makes sense from a product management point of view.  Keep it a discrete unit with a standard interface.  Makes updates and fixes very simple.  Of course they could just as well put a similar module on the inside of the system, even made it USB connected so when it was installed, you'd get audio devices on USB when you plugged in the cable for CAT.   Even if they made it optional and could sell it to you, that would have been a better setup from a user standpoint.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 11:23:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
it makes sense from a product management point of view.  Keep it a discrete unit with a standard interface.  Makes updates and fixes very simple.  Of course they could just as well put a similar module on the inside of the system, even made it USB connected so when it was installed, you'd get audio devices on USB when you plugged in the cable for CAT.   Even if they made it optional and could sell it to you, that would have been a better setup from a user standpoint.
View Quote

What one of the big 3 needs to do is put a web server inside a radio and make rig control a web service, and a simple rig control interface usable from a web browser.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 11:38:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

What one of the big 3 needs to do is put a web server inside a radio and make rig control a web service, and a simple rig control interface usable from a web browser.
View Quote

Nooo!  No embedded web servers!  They are a bane of security and support.  For those that have been in web tech support for more than a decade - would you want to support apache 1.0 or Tomcat 1.0 in today's attack laden world?
If you want a web browser interface hook a RaspPi to the radio's interface.
And yes that interface should be USB in this day and age.
While not putting the soundcard chip inside the radio is not a deal breaker for me, it is a negative.

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 12:17:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

OT

I ordered my PX3 in April and it will be arriving today!  They don't bill your card until it ships.
View Quote

they even offered it back to me.. I declined.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 1:57:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Nooo!  No embedded web servers!  They are a bane of security and support.  For those that have been in web tech support for more than a decade - would you want to support apache 1.0 or Tomcat 1.0 in today's attack laden world?

View Quote

I have to admit I kind of assumed they wouldn't use something that was vulnerable on purpose.  I also assume they wouldn't pack the radio chassis with TNT.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 5:29:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Some speculative pricing I pulled from the Yahoo user group. Also HRO is taking reservations.

The FT991 was listed on a uk website for L999 which translates to about $1636.00 in US Dollars.
View Quote

Take away the UK's 20% "value added tax" and you'd end up with £832.50
which converts to approximately $1361.
View Quote

For that kind of pricing I can add a digital interface. Still would like to seen it built in.

That pricing is about the same as what I paid from my Icom 746Pro new. I would almost consider this radio an upgrade from the Pro746. Depends on the receiver.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 3:15:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Good looking radio. Yaesu design and ergonomics are hard to beat.  It looks like a replacement for the aging  FT450. I love Yaesu products but would wait a year or so for them to work out little bugs since it's  a brand new product.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 3:38:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Some speculative pricing I pulled from the Yahoo user group. Also HRO is taking reservations.

For that kind of pricing I can add a digital interface. Still would like to seen it built in.

That pricing is about the same as what I paid from my Icom 746Pro new. I would almost consider this radio an upgrade from the Pro746. Depends on the receiver.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The FT991 was listed on a uk website for L999 which translates to about $1636.00 in US Dollars.

Take away the UK's 20% "value added tax" and you'd end up with £832.50
which converts to approximately $1361.

I'd be on it it like white on rice for that coin...
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 2:07:15 PM EDT
[#23]
I thought I'd resurrect this thread with current pricing. $1,699.95 w/free shipping @ HRO & Universal, $1,699 even @ Gigaparts w/free shipping.

I'm looking to upgrade my setup sometime around the first of the year (currently running an FT-707!) and this is a contender...

PDF of user manual can be found here:
https://hamgear.wordpress.com/2014/11/12/yaesu-ft-991-user-manual-pdf/

Nick

Link Posted: 11/18/2014 3:05:15 PM EDT
[#24]
I hate to sound negative, but it has the cheesy ethernet plug for the mic.  Those and telephone plugs, I intensely
dislike those for microphones.  Nothing wrong with a good Foster type metal plug, and certainly those are
far superior to the little plastic jobbies.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 3:05:34 PM EDT
[#25]
I would love to have one, just do not want to be a Beta tester.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 4:28:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I hate to sound negative, but it has the cheesy ethernet plug for the mic.  Those and phone plugs, I intensely
dislike those for microphones.  Nothing wrong with a good Foster type metal plug, and certainly those are
View Quote

Old Curmudgeon !
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 6:09:34 PM EDT
[#27]
I still can't believe they didn't build a USB audio interface into it like the IC-7200. You'd think at this point in time that'd be a no brainer.

I just read the relevant section of the manual. I guess the good news is you can use the same digital setup as you did on the 897
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 6:56:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Old Curmudgeon !
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hate to sound negative, but it has the cheesy ethernet plug for the mic.  Those and phone plugs, I intensely

Old Curmudgeon !

Not at all.  I have good reason.  The mic cable ends take a lot of abuse, especially if mobile or portable.  They will
require repair every so often.  Ethernet plugs make that difficult, and the little locking tab breaks off far too easily.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 9:28:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I still can't believe they didn't build a USB audio interface into it like the IC-7200. You'd think at this point in time that'd be a no brainer.

I just read the relevant section of the manual. I guess the good news is you can use the same digital setup as you did on the 897
View Quote

The setup on the 897 isn't bad or hard to do... But yeah, sweet jesus, a USB interface would be nice...
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 12:44:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Not at all.  I have good reason.  The mic cable ends take a lot of abuse, especially if mobile or portable.  They will
require repair every so often.  Ethernet plugs make that difficult, and the little locking tab breaks off far too easily.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Old Curmudgeon !

The same plug is the standard for land mobile radios, and has been for quite a while.  The plug is not a weak link.  And repair is easy if you have access to the crimp tool.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 11:58:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The same plug is the standard for land mobile radios, and has been for quite a while.  The plug is not a weak link.  And repair is easy if you have access to the crimp tool.
View Quote

Yes, I know.  My FT-1802M and FT-2900M both have the little plastic plugs.  I have the tool, and have crimped a lot of ethernet cables.  For radio, the plug is a weak link.  I've just not
had good experience with them, on my radios or others I have repaired.

The only time I have to go into a Foster type plug is when adapting one brand of mic to another brand of radio.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 11:09:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Here's more information on the 991 from the Yaesu website. http://www.yaesu.com/downloadFile.cfm?FileID=8514&FileCatID=156&FileName=LEAFLET%5FFT%2D991.pdf&FileContentType=application%2Fpdf

Also looks like HRO has them listed for sale.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top