Modulationsarten SSB/CW/FM/C4FM Digital/AM/RTTY/PSK
Leistung KW 100 Watt, 2m und 70cm 50 Watt
3,5" TFT-Farbdisplay mit Touch-Funktion
schnelles Spectrumscop mit automatischer Kontroll-Funktion
eingebaute Roofing-Filger mit 3 und 15 kHz
sehr frequenzstabiler TXCO mit +/- 0,5 ppm
32 Bit DSP
IF-Bandbreite und IF-Shift-Regelung
Contour, DNR, IF Notch und APF Audio Peak Filter (nur CW)
eingebauter schneller automatischer Antennentuner! (160-6m)
View Quote

oh boy. My german is next to nothing, but I've got a.....
160-70 all mode and a tuner!
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:32:07 PM EDT
[#4]
What are the predictions on what this will cost?

I've started to think about a new radio - probably a ways off - but was looking at the FT-897D.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:44:23 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I've started to think about a new radio - probably a ways off - but was looking at the FT-897D.
View Quote
I'm betting Dayton 2015, $1200-$1500 range.

Look up ham radio go kits in facebook.  I couldn't find a way to get that attached here.  Thanks for making simple shit harder arfcom.  Thats in English.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:18:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Look up ham radio go kits in facebook.  I couldn't find a way to get that attached here.  Thanks for making simple shit harder arfcom.  Thats in English.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That'd be my guess as well. Icom 7000 would set the floor, and that's about $1,300 now.  Throw in a tuner and you can justify a $1,500 street price
pretty easily. Interesting that there's no indication of a digital connection (USB ala Icom 7200) although lots of mention of digital modes. You'd think
integrating USB audio/controls would be a no brainer in a rig of that class (and portable, no less.)
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:36:46 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
That'd be my guess as well. Icom 7000 would set the floor, and that's about $1,300 now.  Throw in a tuner and you can justify a $1,500 street price

pretty easily. Interesting that there's no indication of a digital connection (USB ala Icom 7200) although lots of mention of digital modes. You'd think

integrating USB audio/controls would be a no brainer in a rig of that class (and portable, no less.)
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There isnt indication for much of anything.  

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:38:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Hmm.  Almost a year away...  not sure I can keep money in my wallet that long.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 12:42:33 AM EDT
[#9]

I think it's a legit teaser.

Link Posted: 8/23/2014 1:08:25 AM EDT
[#10]

Yeah someone heard my prayers. The 7100 sucks as a mobile rig with that odd shaped face, at least for me. I am betting this will be about $1800-1900 when it hits the shelves. Don't expect it before Dayton. I could be wrong.

I was reading the other day that the 897 was dead and some of the components have already reached end of life. The factory only had enough parts to build 200 more rigs. But that is from the internet so you know it has to be true LOL.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 6:57:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Like it...wonder if they still use the menu tree like the 857/897?

I don't have a base station but this certainly looks like an ideal shack in a box...
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 7:27:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Nice look rig! That is a great replacement for the FT-897.

Now.....I wonder if Yaesu will kick the FT-857 to the curb or maybe another new compact rig is on the horizon>
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 7:50:41 AM EDT
[#13]

Please refer below for more information on the features of the new FT-991. We will release the new FT-991 at the Tokyo HAM FAIR in 2014.

http://qrznow.com/yaesu-ft-991/
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 7:59:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Nice look rig! That is a great replacement for the FT-897.

Now.....I wonder if Yaesu will kick the FT-857 to the curb or maybe another new compact rig is on the horizon>
View Quote

Heard rumours about a 857 replacement, but it remains to be seen if they have any factual basis.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 8:24:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Now that the 7000 is done for, this is the only thing that's sexy in the mobile marketm

And whomever designed the 7100 needs to be throat punched
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 9:37:58 AM EDT
[#16]
I see only one antenna connector on back of unit...hmm
Hopefully it's just a prototype and the retail model will have dual antenna connectors like the 857/897

Eta saw other pictures and there is two antenna mounts...the other is obscured by the power molex plug
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 9:44:05 AM EDT
[#17]
[youtube]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n84FDk3Esss[/youtube]
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 9:44:35 AM EDT
[#18]
[youtube]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n84FDk3Esss[/youtube]YouTube link of Tokyo hamfest
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 10:03:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 10:42:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Well, I know what my next rig is going to be. :D

That's pretty, and the waterfall is going to be AMAZING for a portable rig. :D
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 2:55:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Hot damn! From the hamfest link, there's a USB-A connector on the ass end of that radio!
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 3:06:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Hot damn! From the hamfest link, there's a USB-A connector on the ass end of that radio!
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/23/2014 3:07:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Do want!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 3:10:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Yeah... It's decided. No matter how much it costs, I'm getting one. It looks like it'll take the place of my current portable setup. Internal tuner FTW.

Looks like all the filters are DSP-based too.

Link Posted: 8/23/2014 3:14:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Yeah... It's decided. No matter how much it costs, I'm getting one. It looks like it'll take the place of my current portable setup. Internal tuner FTW.

View Quote

Looks like an FT-450 and FT-897 got freaky. It's about time, the 897/857 were getting a little long in the tooth.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 3:47:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I see only one antenna connector on back of unit...hmm
Hopefully it's just a prototype and the retail model will have dual antenna connectors like the 857/897

Eta saw other pictures and there is two antenna mounts...the other is obscured by the power molex plug
View Quote

I see two antenna connectors.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 6:03:14 PM EDT
[#27]
I'll more than likely will be 1st to buy (pre-order) this radio.  I have the 897D and probably give it to my son.  QRZnow has a posting dated today.  And I now can see the second antenna jack behind the power cable.  And internal ATU and USB-A is a definite plus.  Looks less menu driven with more buttons and touch screen menus to boot.

Link Posted: 8/23/2014 6:24:17 PM EDT
[#28]
I use mine to surf arfcom

Link Posted: 8/23/2014 6:35:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Doesn't look like the faceplate is remote mountable, haven't seen left side to tell for sure. Not a game changer for me though.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 6:43:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Looks like an FT-847 replacement more than anything.  847 has been out of production for quite a while but that's the closest model.

Looks like a new oddball power connector.  Wish they'd just put a powerpole on there.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 7:27:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Looks like an FT-450 and FT-897 got freaky.
It's about time, the 897/857 were getting a little long in the tooth.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks like an FT-450 and FT-897 got freaky.
It's about time, the 897/857 were getting a little long in the tooth.

scary freak-show results of the above
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 7:57:57 PM EDT
[#32]
When I first saw it I thought it said Kilowatt 111!!!!11
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 11:19:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Did anyone see a mention of an internal sound card?  I didn't.
The TT Eagle has a USB-A but no internal sound card.
If yaesu is going to want more than a IC-7200 + an FT-8900 ...

I'd still like to see someone other than Elecraft allow for plugin upgrades.  
YOU want an internal ATU?  Buy it and plug it in.
YOU over there want VHF SSB?  Buy it and plug it in.
The sleepy guy in the corner, you want it to make coffee for you? Buy it and plug it in.
I would be happy, if it reduced the cost and upped the duty cycle, with much less than 100W as the base internal final.
But that's probably just me.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 11:21:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Totally don't need, kinda want.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 12:22:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The sleepy guy in the corner, you want it to make coffee for you? Buy it and plug it in.
I would be happy, if it reduced the cost and upped the duty cycle, with much less than 100W as the base internal final.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

While I understand your thought process that it would be a lower initial cost, but a fully optioned rig would be more expensive that way. Look at it as buying a car. Before radios were standard in a car the option price was crazy same for air conditioning. Try buying a car now without one. They look a you like you are crazy. I buy my trucks like that and I have to buy it out of fleet sales just to get a stripped down basic truck.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 7:25:57 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
While I understand your thought process that it would be a lower initial cost, but a fully optioned rig would be more expensive that way. Look at it as buying a car. Before radios were standard in a car the option price was crazy same for air conditioning. Try buying a car now without one. They look a you like you are crazy. I buy my trucks like that and I have to buy it out of fleet sales just to get a stripped down basic truck.
View Quote

Yes it would be.  But one word: Elecraft.
It really depends on the price point Yaesu wants to hit.  A new ft-897 was selling for about $1000.  If they're going to build in the equivalent of a FTM-400DR and add $600 then we're looking at a $1600 box.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 9:23:50 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Yeah someone heard my prayers. The 7100 sucks as a mobile rig with that odd shaped face, at least for me. I am betting this will be about $1800-1900 when it hits the shelves. Don't expect it before Dayton. I could be wrong.
I was reading the other day that the 897 was dead and some of the components have already reached end of life. The factory only had enough parts to build 200 more rigs. But that is from the internet so you know it has to be true LOL.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I find that odd because a video posted to YouTube (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n84FDk3Esss) of the Yaesu booth at the Tokyo 2014 Ham Fair and it has the FT-991 and the FT-857 on display as current products (no FT-897).  Since the internals of the FT-857 are (supposedly) the same as the FT-897, they are still sourcing components somewhere.  It would seem to me that if they can build an FT-857 the could still build an FT-897.  Just slap on a different case.
The FT-991 does look like an interesting radio but I am afraid it will be more expensive than the FT-897D was.  Plus I would not in the market for one right away as I am sure there will be a few kinks that need to worked out.  More than likely the ARRL will evaluate one at some point and their lab will find the deficiencies.

And yes, I do not need it but at some point in the future I will probably want one

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:36:01 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

It really depends on the price point Yaesu wants to hit.  A new ft-897 was selling for about $1000.  If they're going to build in the equivalent of a FTM-400DR and add $600 then we're looking at a $1600 box.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

They didn't stay at $1000.  There was a spike in price for around a year after the tsunami even though most of the parts come from Malaysia, and from the same manufacturers who make Motorola chips. just off branded. Yaesu has also turned to China to make parts and entire radios.  The 897 hovered around the $900 to $775 for most of it's last 5 years.  And pricing is relative.  Look where the FTDX 1200 comes in right now.  In addition Yaesu is aggressively marketing their new to the game digital, and they know how cheap ham guys are.  I see street pricing coming in under $1400, maybe settling in the $1200 to 1300 range before 12 months are up, right around where the Icom 7100, its competitor is selling right now, and it wasn't that long ago the 7100 was released.  The next gen of hf digital I would expect a substantial jump in price.  I'm sure Yaesu is working on the 857 replacement as we are discussing this.  This is how Yaesu has been successful in selling more radios and keep us buying their products.

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 12:44:59 PM EDT
[#39]
I noticed the CAT port is also labeled GPS. So, APRS ready?

{pedantic computer geek} And that's a USB-B port. USB-A is like what you'd see on a PC, i.e., the rectangular connector. {/pedantic computer geek}

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 1:30:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
{pedantic computer geek} And that's a USB-B port. USB-A is like what you'd see on a PC, i.e., the rectangular connector. {/pedantic computer geek}

View Quote

Not many local places carry a USB-A male to USB-A male cord.  On the other hand, any place that sells printers carry the A to B cables.  The radio is just another peripheral to the computer.  My IC-7200 has the USB-B port.

I do like the concept of the FT-991 but I will hold off for sometime since my recent purchase was a FT-857D.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 4:35:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Not many local places carry a USB-A male to USB-A male cord.  On the other hand, any place that sells printers carry the A to B cables.  The radio is just another peripheral to the computer.  My IC-7200 has the USB-B port.

I do like the concept of the FT-991 but I will hold off for sometime since my recent purchase was a FT-857D.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would you need an A to A cable? Use the ubiquitous A to B cable and plug it directly into your PC.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 5:28:23 PM EDT
[#42]
If I get this right. More than likely I'm wrong.
The joking Dave would prefer to see the USB-A port on the radio as that is what "real computers" have.  Not the USB-B standard port of peripheral devices like printers, scanners etc.

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 7:32:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Are the tuner specs published anywhere? If its a cheezy 3:1 tuner I'm out...
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:14:29 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

If I get this right. More than likely I'm wrong.

The joking Dave would prefer to see the USB-A port on the radio as that is what "real computers" have.  Not the USB-B standard port of peripheral devices like printers, scanners etc.

View Quote

The port on the back of the radio was referred to as a USB-A port a couple times previously in the thread. In the interest of technical accuracy I was correcting that.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:05:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Now see the error references earlier in the thread.
That makes much more sense.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:50:33 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'd be surprised if it was a wide range tuner just because they don't seem to put them in anything.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:59:47 AM EDT
[#47]
Universal-Radio is already listing it.
There is a new group for the 991 on Yahoo by the FoxTango group.
Also Universal is showing the 897 discontinued.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:59:22 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I'd be surprised if it was a wide range tuner just because they don't seem to put them in anything.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sure you are right and I will be sadly dissapointed. Oh well, still have my old 897 tank....
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:37:23 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I'm sure you are right and I will be sadly dissapointed. Oh well, still have my old 897 tank....
View Quote

It's awful hard to beat an external tuner anyway.  

Quite a few times I came this -><- close to buying the 897.  I still think it's a cool radio just because it does all bands/all modes and has relatively low power consumption.  But this Ft-991 is appealing.  With that big display and all the DSP stuff I bet the power consumption is going to be awful compared to the 897 though.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:53:03 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
With that big display and all the DSP stuff I bet the power consumption is going to be awful compared to the 897 though.  
View Quote

This was my first thought, as well.  i have to wonder how much current it draws.  It seems like they have gone from and all band portable rig, to a small(ish) sized, all band, base station radio.  It does look portable to a certain extent, but I suspect you will need a good power source when you get it to your destination.

We'll see....
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top