Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2014 6:17:57 PM EDT

http://hackaday.com/2014/07/22/cold-war-clock-is-all-tubes/

http://wv7u.com/cwc/hourglass.html

Introduction

When it comes to hobby projects, clocks have always been one of my favorites. I've made them with LEDs, planar neon displays, monodigichrons, some with microprocessors, FPGAs, TTL logic, etc, but this time I wanted to make a dekatron and nixie tube clock with a minimum of solid state components, except for maybe a few germanium diodes. As I thought through the design, the cold war theme developed along with some specific goals I had for the project:

No semiconductor devices at all, only tubes
   Research every part, and use only components and technologies available in 1959
   Authentic military/commercial reproduction, not a unique or artsy style
   Reasonable size, less than approximately 1 cu ft
   Use a mix of Soviet and US components in key parts of the circuit
   Audible alarm
   Low power consumption for tube equipment, less than 60W
   Selectable 60 cps or crystal reference with decent accuracy
   Use original old parts wherever possible
   Learn about how products of that era were designed and manufactured

I chose the design year to be 1959 mainly because I wanted to use Sprague orange drop capacitors, and they were not introduced until that year. I like orange drops because they're more compact and reliable than wax and paper caps, can still be found in old stock, and I like how they look. Also, 1959 was good because the cold war was going strong then, and I had some parts donor gear from that era.

Design, build, initial testing, and documentation took about a year and a half. It was a balancing act of compromises to meet all the goals, but I'm satisfied with the results.

<<< saga continues at link above with exquisite detail on how the construction was done -- IT'S A MUST READ  >>>
View Quote

neat project and the author (WV7U) has hella talent!

ar-jedi

ps
btw, if you want to electrocute yourself, this is a excellent way to accomplish it:
http://wv7u.com/cwc/pictures/proto4.jpg
that's a lot of B+ on a benchtop for my personal comfort level...  
one errant move and you are holding onto 450Vdc at 100ma.  

see the rest of the construction/internal pics here:
http://wv7u.com/cwc/pictures/pictures.html
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:28:42 PM EDT
[#1]
f-u ar-jedi
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:46:20 PM EDT
[#2]
That is just way too cool. Dude has earned his geek card.

Built one of these as a Christmas gift to an engineer friend of mine. Took 2 months just to get the tubes from Russia. Wonder if you can get them at all now with the current political situation. Once built I couldn't help but just watch that thing. Way more interesting than the Bachelorette.
PV Electronics
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:47:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I want one!

A cost estimate puts this clock at $2130 in 1959, which equates to $17040 today. Clearly this would be outside the price range of most hobbyists. The actual build cost [Hank] around $1600.
View Quote

...aaannnnndddd I'm out.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:42:30 PM EDT
[#4]
That's awesome! And I could kick myself for getting rid of two Heathkit freq. counters with nixie tubes in them.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:01:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Damnit AR-Jedi.  Wonder how badly the wife would kill me if I built that thing.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 5:28:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Way cool.

I worked at a commercial station one time where the equipment we used was from around that era.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 5:41:12 AM EDT
[#7]
I love those whirling Decatrons. They're fascinating to watch, especially after a few beers. There's one somewhere among my junk boxes.

They rank right up there with a teletype machine with the cover removed.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 6:26:12 AM EDT
[#8]
There's a point where the end result of a project ceases to be a project and becomes art. This is one of those.

The attention to detail here is incredible. Alodine coating of the chassis. Rubber stamp of the component reference designators then mask off each one then finally spraying a urethane coat over it. The tieoffs for the wiring harness appears to be 100% true to the era and even appears to use the correct knots. Right down to the Operation and Service Manual using the format of government manuals, penciled in notes, and a coffee cup stain on page 17.

All of this to create a clock as would have been done in 1959. Except such a clock never existed. Nixie tubes and dekatrons were too valuable back then to be used in something as simple as a alarm clock.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 7:09:51 AM EDT
[#9]
That is super cool.   I'd love a piece like that.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 2:37:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I love those whirling Decatrons. They're fascinating to watch, especially after a few beers. There's one somewhere among my junk boxes.

View Quote

Holy crap!  There is a museum of communications in my home town, and I didn't know about it???  This place is now a must-visit on my list.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 2:52:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Everything about that clock is awesome!

And on Frank's note, I used to own a complete and functioning Model 19 set that looked pretty much like this when I was in high school.  Back in the 70's you could find WWII era stuff cheap all over the place.

I also owned a Model 33-ASR and a DEC LA36, both of which my Dad purchased as surplus from Bell.  I wish I still had them all...
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:28:38 PM EDT
[#12]
I ran a Model 15 for a couple of years, but when I moved from a house to a condo I had to sell off a large part of my gear. I tried computer RTTY, but it just wasn't the same. You become addicted to the bouquet of teletype oil and ribbon ink.

A friend had a 28 KSR. That thing could really fly with the right gears in it, but I don't think many hams ran at their machines at 100 WPM back then.

As long as we're going retro, how about a dial telephone exchange?
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:30:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:49:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

THAT is what I would want to do digital with
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:11:08 AM EDT
[#15]
The friend who had the Model 28 was also an early computer hacker -- in the original sense of the word. He had a breadboard computer that consisted of several PCBs hung on a piece of pegboard and used the TTY as the I/O. This was around 1978, around the time the first consumer computers started hitting the market. What he did was all black magic to the rest of us hams. Heck, we were just getting comfortable with the 74xxx series of TTL ICs.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 2:07:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
As long as we're going retro, how about a dial telephone exchange?
View Quote

As a child I used to go to work at Northwestern Bell with my Dad on some weekends.  I remember huge walls of those relays at the central offices.  A few defective ones even made it home for me to play with.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 3:38:23 PM EDT
[#17]
I got SO mad, when I was still working as super of maint. e-techs\super techs,, someone decided to clear out 'old useless junk.' While I was on Vacation.
Tossed out a dozen or more functional Coleman-Barber DRO that used those tubes, and, at least 100 spare tubes.
I could cry, OR, better, made someone else cry!
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 3:55:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Make sure you read the manual for that clock. The coffee stains, margin notes, and destruction instructions are great.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 7:36:12 PM EDT
[#19]
FAIL!!!

The clock case should have been painted OD.  With random scratches.

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 7:52:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Be great to have on hand during the winter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top