Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2014 5:50:03 PM EDT
This is an offshoot of my rigblaster thread.

The weekend before last I played in the NAQP for RTTY and had a blast.  I used the signalink (AFSK). There were times when signals were very close together and fldigi couldn't decode either.  I can definitely see the need for a narrow filter in a contest situation, but I believe you can only use the 500Hz optional filter in either CW or RTTY mode.  In order to use RTTY you need FSK keying on the accessory jack.  If I were to go that route, then the waterfall in fldigi becomes useless, because I will be passing such a narrow bandwidth.  It was really easy to look around the band for strong signals on the waterfall.

Are there any other advantages/tradeoffs for using true FSK versus AFSK?  I'm a newb at RTTY, but definitely want to play during other contests.  Opinions from experienced RTTYers would be greatly appreciated, but all opinions welcome.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:39:16 PM EDT
[#1]
270hz filter is wonderful for RTTY

I love RTTY contests, you can work a ton of good DX

I just use DM-780 on the free version of ham radio deluxe

What rig are you running now ?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:50:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm using an IC-718, but am moving to a condo soon so I'll probably be stuck using a small mag loop indoors.  I'm not sure if I'll keep the 718 or sell it.  My other rig is an IC-703.  To be honest, I much prefer the 703

I'm a very casual operator, and don't really enjoy repeating my call sign endlessly for hours in SSB contests.  I'm usually busy on weekends and run JT-65 while doing other things.  The RTTY contest was really fun though, I bagged 48 QSOs in a few hours, which is way more than I've ever logged in a weekend before.  My antenna was really poor at the time, but I worked everyone I could hear on 15 and 20.  I have serious RFI problems with this temporary end fed on 40m, but still managed a few contacts.  I even managed 5 on 80m, which is a miracle with the short wire length I'm using.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:04:36 PM EDT
[#3]

When I installed a 270hz in my TS-480, it really came alive for digital

INRAD makes filters for a 718

http://www.inrad.net/home.php?cat=68

I don't do  many SSB contests either

...but RTTY is fun
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 2:59:54 AM EDT
[#4]
You can turn the filter on or off with the push of a button.

I'm a casual RTTY op.  I prefer FSK because it's one less thing to set up.  No need to adjust transmit audio levels or remember to turn off Windows sounds.  And by using RTTY mode on my rig (instead of LSB), my radio remembers my preferred RTTY settings (AGC, filter width, etc.).

You can build a simple FSK interface with a couple of transistors or optocouplers.  Lots of plans on the web.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top