Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/29/2014 4:31:58 PM EDT
Just came in from burying radials. I'm not going to lie it's pretty easy. I run the edger end then come back and stuft the wire in with a paint stirrer. It's just that I am THAT out of shape. I'm about to die, sweating, breathing hard and high pulse rate.

Damn I hope this passes soon and I can't get back into shape. Normally for a vacation I take 2 weeks and backpack solo in the west. This sucks lol.

I must win, I refuse to have my ass kicked by a piece of copper wire.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:39:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Defiance is its own form of victory.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:56:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I prefer to help the neighbor kid stay in shape.  There are benefits to being OLD and cranky.

Where's my prune juice?  

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 5:16:08 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm currently living in old folks central. I don't see any younger people here at all. My dad is 73 and he's relatively the young guy in the area. I guess it makes him feel young.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 3:21:11 PM EDT
[#4]
As of 23:300 Zulu time all 36 radials are buried. 32 approximately 60 feet and 4 at the 4 quadrants 105'. I have about 1800' of wire left. I think I'll hold pat on what I have now for a while. Of course I could do a hell of a loop if I had trees in the right place.....

The only help I got was the neighbor walking over every few days and telling me one wasn't as straight as the others. I let it slide. He's 80 and we have something in common. He got the shingles at the same time I did and it was bad, his fact and neck swole up bad enough that they had to fee him thru a tube. He offered using of a turning plow and his tractor but that seemed a little overkill.

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 3:26:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a welded pipe fence around the side and back of my yard. I wonder how good of a radial that would make?
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:47:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Dunno. It really wouldn't have been that big of a deal normally. I used an edger to dig a trench and stuck the wire in it. Here in the south it will be covered upin grass in a week or two. At first I used roundup to thin out the grass on a few strips. That was two weeks ago and the grass is already growing back in it now.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:24:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a welded pipe fence around the side and back of my yard. I wonder how good of a radial that would make?
View Quote

As long as the sections are bonded, it'll make a good radial.

I have a 1/4wl 20m vertical that uses my split rail fence's steel mesh as radials.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:54:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Driving at work today I saw that the local rental place has an electric dog fence burying machine. Called and they said it basically buries a wire that you provide about 6" into the ground. I may go this route for my next vertical setup.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 8:00:30 PM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Driving at work today I saw that the local rental place has an electric dog fence burying machine. Called and they said it basically buries a wire that you provide about 6" into the ground. I may go this route for my next vertical setup.
View Quote

Didn't know they existed. Probably couldn't find one here locally. Anyway I'm going to make sure I point it out to a friend of who lives in a very restrictive HOA now and they forbid real fences because he lives on the golf course in the country club. They also required whoever put down the fence be pre authorized to dig in his yard. He wound up paying $16,000 to do only the backyard of his 1/2 acre. I'm going to point out that they probably used this machine whiel he was at work and then told him how hard it was to do. For $16,000 I would have done it with a bread knife and still come out ahead maybe.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top