Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/29/2014 7:29:41 AM EDT
After wandering through the interwebs seeking 101 level,  "get me started in digital" info, I realized I'm much more likely to find good reliable information from this group. Where would you point me for a primer?

I'm new - Tech in May and General this month.  I have a Kenwood TS-140S, can operate 80 through 10 meters and have the equipment on the way to connect my radio to the computer.  I'm using the trial version of HRD, and will likely buy it when the trial runs out (...or should I just use the last free version?).  Also, via Remotehams.com, I've (finally) successfully connected the online radios to HRD / DM780.  That's as far as I am, though.  It works (meaning I see the waterfall), and next intend to read through the HRD / DM780 documentation.  If you would, help me shorten the learning curve here.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:54:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm no expert, but I could host a Join.me session and you could watch me work psk31, with HRD.

Let me know if you interested.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:58:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Randy-K7AGE does a fine job!  I like FlDigi and Digipan...both free...I'm also searching for someone to do a podcast show on Digital Modes! (maybe I should call Randy?)

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:08:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Randy-K7AGE does a fine job!  I like FlDigi and Digipan...both free...I'm also searching for someone to do a podcast show on Digital Modes! (maybe I should call Randy?)

http://youtu.be/jQpBGh9RMEQ
View Quote
Beat me to it.

Search for K7AGE on YouTube. Follow his PSK videos and it will get you going. Once you get PSK going then it's a simple matter to switch modes in DM780 for RTTY and the whole host of others. You'll want to get Olivia going for the ARFCOM nets.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 2:19:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, guys!  I'll watch the videos when I get home.

Wastegate - let me see where I am in a day or so, after I get my hardware, then I may take you up on the demo. Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:51:28 PM EDT
[#5]
When I first started looking into ham way way back like last month I didn't want to get into digital because I work on a computer a lot then blow a crapload of time on here as well.

But after seeing the pskreporter maps there may be something to it. I don't even know if my equpment is digital compatible because I skipped over that while shopping/investigating to get started. If not it's not a huge loss and I'm sure I can already tell this is going to almost as bad as my firearm addiction that started at age 6.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:15:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
When I first started looking into ham way way back like last month I didn't want to get into digital because I work on a computer a lot then blow a crapload of time on here as well.

But after seeing the pskreporter maps there may be something to it. I don't even know if my equpment is digital compatible because I skipped over that while shopping/investigating to get started. If not it's not a huge loss and I'm sure I can already tell this is going to almost as bad as my firearm addiction that started at age 6.
View Quote

If it is was made in the last 20 years it is. I have done digital modes on everything including a Chinese HT.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:26:38 PM EDT
[#7]
It's an ICOM 718. Like I said I haven't even looked. It's still a ways off, I just noticed one day when someone mentioned PSK reporter and was poking around on thier site looking at the reports/connections.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:39:55 PM EDT
[#8]
nah...it's not a ways off....go search Donner Digital and spend the $40 to get on Digi....you can thank us later
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:03:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Alright....  decided to see what happens when I clicked a few buttons in DM780 to see what I can receive  .  I'm monitoring 14.072 from a remote rig in PA.  It's starting to make more sense - still need to watch those videos, read up and watch Wastegate operate.

I'm seeing the QSOs.  I think everything I'm seeing is PSK31.  DM780 is pretty much identifying the QSOs.  I'll have to read up on modes - I assume I have PSK31 selected, so that's what I'm seeing.  I can see that I'm going to have to learn a new shorthand so I understand everything that's being said.

Anyway - as always, I appreciate the info here!
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:10:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It's an ICOM 718. Like I said I haven't even looked. It's still a ways off, I just noticed one day when someone mentioned PSK reporter and was poking around on thier site looking at the reports/connections.
View Quote

I started with an IC718 and did almost exclusive digital for the first 6 months.  All you need to do is add a Signalink USB and the CAT control cable for the 718.  I used HRD for rig control since I found it easier than FlDigi.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:14:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Alright....  decided to see what happens when I clicked a few buttons in DM780 to see what I can receive  .  I'm monitoring 14.072 from a remote rig in PA.  It's starting to make more sense - still need to watch those videos, read up and watch Wastegate operate.

I'm seeing the QSOs.  I think everything I'm seeing is PSK31.  DM780 is pretty much identifying the QSOs.  I'll have to read up on modes - I assume I have PSK31 selected, so that's what I'm seeing.  I can see that I'm going to have to learn a new shorthand so I understand everything that's being said.

Anyway - as always, I appreciate the info here!
View Quote

Try 14.070 instead of 14.072 and you'll see more PSK31 QSOs.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:16:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Try 14.070 instead of 14.072 and you'll see more PSK31 QSOs.
View Quote

Indeed.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:27:59 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I started with an IC718 and did almost exclusive digital for the first 6 months.  All you need to do is add a Signalink USB and the CAT control cable for the 718.  I used HRD for rig control since I found it easier than FlDigi.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

One day. Right now I'm paying $2900/month Cobra coverage which kinda blows.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:30:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lots of modes can use acoustic coupling and read using your computer speakers and hand mic.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top