Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/28/2014 7:11:36 PM EDT
I'm looking to consolidate my station before I move to a condo.  I currently use a SignaLink, and don't have rig control.  I have been debating between buying a $25 CI-V cable for my Icom, or selling the SignaLink and buying a RigBlaster Advantage.  The rigblaster gets me rig control, plus keyed CW and real FSK keying.  I played in the NAQP RTTY contest the weekend before last, and I'm hooked on RTTY.  I'd like to try real FSK instead using the digital interface.

How does the rigblaster compare to the signalink?  Anyone here tried both?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 2:45:28 PM EDT
[#1]
In the FWIW department...

I tried a RigBlaster product several years ago and was not impressed. It was very susceptible to EMI/RFI. I had to get out the copper tape and even it was not enough. But, to be totally fair, that was then and this is now. The newer RigBlaster products, like the Advantage, may be much better.

That said, you might also look at the RigExpert and MicroHam lines. I personally have a MicroHam USB III which I used with an IC-7000. It was bulletproof, provided true CW and FSK and was the cat's meow. Now retired to Emergency Backup status since I have a Flex, but it was the cat's meow.

MicroHam was the leader in this area a few years ago. The now very similar RigExpert and RigBlaster products are following in their wake. I suspect that the RigBlaster products have come a long way based on how similar they now are to MicroHam. I say give it a shot, particularly because it is much less expensive than the "leaders". I'll be very interested in your RigBlaster AAR.

Sorry, I digress...to answer your original question, it ought to be head and shoulders above the Signalink, but, again, I look forward to your AAR...
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:45:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I hadn't heard of the MicroHam or RigExpert, so now I need to look into them too

I have so little free time these days, I'd rather operate the rig than build stuff.  I have looked at FSK interfaces but just don't have the time.

I found this while looking online: USB to 6.5mm CW key cable

It is reviewed on eHam.  I'm sure with the proper accessory connector I could easily wire this for FSK operation.  The USB chipset is apparently supported by windows, so this would be a cheap way to use DTR to trigger FSK.  Hell at that price I could buy two and use one for CW and one for FSK.

I'm leaning towards a decent, all in one unit though.  If I choose the RigBlaster I'll post an AAR.  The funny thing is these interfaces cost more than half the price of the rig I'll be controlling (my used IC-703).  It should work with my 718 too if I don't sell that.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:51:39 PM EDT
[#3]
This thread reminds me. I have three rigblasters that I need to sell that were replaced with signalinks.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:06:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This thread reminds me. I have three rigblasters that I need to sell that were replaced with signalinks.
View Quote

LOL

I would go SIGNALINK and something like this....

http://www.amazon.com/Interface-IC-7000-Chipset-Supports-Windows/dp/B004L0T4UM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406678766&sr=8-1&keywords=icom+718+control+cable&dpPl=1
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:40:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

I actually have the longer version of that cable in my wish list.  This doesn't get me FSK or CW keying (I'm more interested in FSK though).  I think I need to start a thread on RTTY because that is what I am really interested in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top