Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2014 6:08:42 AM EDT
...what are your recommendations for image manipulation software? Photoshop and similar products would be way beyond what I want to do. I'll mostly be doing simple things such as cropping, blanking out certain parts of the photograph, and reducing the pixel count for e-mail or posting on websites. I may occasionally want to make adjustments to color balance and contrast. Also, it must be free and easy to use for an Ol' Fart who grew up in an analog world.

I've looked at Picasa and it seems to do what I want. Any caveats with it? I'm not a big fan of Google. I trust them about as far as I could toss Cris Christie.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Frank

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:19:10 AM EDT
[#1]
My day job is in the photo industry so I see the results.  I recommend Adobe Lightroom.  Avoid Picasa.  Its an ok program but it has its limits.  When I see someone claiming to be a pro and in the same sentence say they use Picasa I want to slap them.  I process most of my photos through Lightroom.  If I need detailed edits, then I drop into Photoshop.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:19:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Best bang for the buck is Adobe Lightroom.  I've never personally used it (I use Photoshop), but everyone, including many, many professionals, seem to love it.  I think it's about $135 right now, but I've seen it on sale for around $100.  

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:21:18 AM EDT
[#3]
I use gimp. At first it took a little learning and getting use to what things are called, but it really has made my life easier.

Here are a couple of my gimp pictures. I am by no means an expert, but happy with them.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:22:25 AM EDT
[#4]
+1 to Lightroom.
I use Photoshop because it's what I've always used and I need it for my job, but Lightroom should serve you well.

Picasa is great for organizing and searching your pictures, but it's not very good at manipulation.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:23:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Lightroom and shoot RAW.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:29:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lightroom and shoot RAW.
View Quote

This.

Lightroom is really for photo processing and asset management whereas Photoshop is really about image manipulation.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:44:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Can't beat it for $9.99/mo:
https://creative.adobe.com/plans/photography
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:59:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Gimp for editing anymore, my CS2 license (from like 2006) doesn't install in wine, and I run linux now.

But, since the invention of the smartphone, I rarely use my SLR anymore, and when I do, it takes such great photos that I don't need to retouch. That's probably a side-effect of having to work so hard to get good photos with a cell phone camera.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:08:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Gimp for editing anymore, my CS2 license (from like 2006) doesn't install in wine, and I run linux now.

But, since the invention of the smartphone, I rarely use my SLR anymore, and when I do, it takes such great photos that I don't need to retouch. That's probably a side-effect of having to work so hard to get good photos with a cell phone camera.
View Quote

You forgot the
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:38:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This.

Lightroom is really for photo processing and asset management whereas Photoshop is really about image manipulation.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lightroom and shoot RAW.

This.

Not all of us can shoot raw.......
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:48:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lightroom and shoot RAW.

This.

Then your camera is broken
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:57:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lightroom and shoot RAW.

This.

Or someone keeps forgetting it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 1:46:16 PM EDT
[#13]
For blanking out you'll need something like Photoshop.

You could actually do that in MS Paint.

Perhaps the MS photo programs, plus Paint, will tide you over.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:07:06 PM EDT
[#14]
one of the best things my Dad ever did was buy me an SLR

He got me a PENTAX K-1000 (35mm)when I joined the Army

"you're gonna see the world, take some pics"

He gave me a book on running an SLR too.

All these years later, I still run PENTAX

I have a K-110D and a K-r

nothing special,  but I really like them.

years ago,  I had photoshop, and later used (linux) GIMP
but I'm kinda outa the loop
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:11:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Or someone keeps forgetting it.
View Quote

Are you saying you just forget to set the camera to shoot in RAW?  Just set it and forget it.  

There's no reason someone shouldn't shoot in RAW unless they are NEVER EVER going to do any post processing.  In that case, just buy a point and shoot.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 3:39:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I use gimp. At first it took a little learning and getting use to what things are called, but it really has made my life easier...
View Quote

I've been doing some digging around and so far GIMP looks pretty good. I've been impressed by Gnu products anyway.

I'm looking for free software that I can load and it just sits there waiting for me to use it. I want to call it up, browse my folders for the file I want, then use the appropriate parts of the software to modify it, and finally send the altered file back to a folder of my choosing for storage. From that folder I will select the file to upload to whatever blog, e-mail, or social media I select. I want it to leave the original file unaltered.

From what I've read about Picasa, as soon as it is loaded, it storms into the computer like a bunch of JBTs in full SWAT regalia kicking down doors, shooting the dog, and plundering through the computer looking for images, then jams them into files of its own choosing. Any files I choose to modify will be put into a file Picasa selects and to send it anywhere except to Google sites is very difficult, if not impossible. It's also constantly trying to switch the default web browser to Chrome and otherwise alter my OS.

I have (actually, its my wife's) an old Kodak Easyshare camera and its software sucks.

I've been dabbling in digital photography ever since the photofinishers started offering CDs with film processing and this is the first time I've ever had a need for image manipulation software, so you see how seldom my useage will be. Thus the desire for something free.

Will GIMP do what I'm looking for?

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 3:43:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
one of the best things my Dad ever did was buy me an SLR

He got me a PENTAX K-1000 (35mm)when I joined the Army

"you're gonna see the world, take some pics"

He gave me a book on running an SLR too.

All these years later, I still run PENTAX

I have a K-110D and a K-r

nothing special,  but I really like them.

years ago,  I had photoshop, and later used (linux) GIMP
but I'm kinda outa the loop
View Quote

I still have my K-1000. It was my first SLR. Though now I have a Canon dSLR.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 3:50:53 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a Pentax H1v that I bought in '66. It still works great.

It didn't even have a exposure meter. There's a clip-on model that sits atop the viewfinder and is linked the the shutter speed selector..
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 3:57:10 AM EDT
[#19]
It didn't even have a exposure meter
View Quote

My dad could run a camera without the lightmeter

he could look at something and just dope out the shutter speed and aperture

he usually was right on the money

He was old school

I just noticed GIMP for WINDOWS....I've only used it in Ubuntu Linux....how does it run in Windows 7 ?
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 3:38:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Best bang for the buck is Adobe Lightroom.  I've never personally used it (I use Photoshop), but everyone, including many, many professionals, seem to love it.  I think it's about $135 right now, but I've seen it on sale for around $100.  

View Quote

Lightroom FTW.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top