Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2014 7:10:36 AM EDT
I've recently gotten involved with RACES here with one of the clubs; passed the required IS-xxx classes, did the background paperwork and now just waiting to go in for prints.

My particular incentive was to operate events; a marathon, bikeathon, etc.

So I did a bit of an experiment yesterday, let me know what you think.

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 7:48:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks good Dan!  I have a very similar setup using the same color CamelBak Talon instead with my FT-60 HT.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 10:31:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Found this online.

Seems like a great primer for volunteering at an event.

The Boston Marathon guys have put a lot of stuff out there (including some bombing AARs).

http://www.mmra.org/marc/Boston%20Marathon%20Survival%20Guide.pdf

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 10:39:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Very nice! I've actually been researching this exact thing (HT Go Bag) for the last few days while at work! Its nice to see someone who has a kit that has more than "snacks, water, medication" listed as their kit!
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 10:43:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks good! I would still throw in a charger or maybe another extra battery.

Where's the best place to get that Camelbak model? I really like the flat bladder.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 11:22:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks good! I would still throw in a charger or maybe another extra battery.

Where's the best place to get that Camelbak model? I really like the flat bladder.
View Quote

I'm going to toss in a couple of lithium AA packs in there as well.  Very nice having the AA snap-on-back.

The bladders can be purchased separately http://shop.camelbak.com/Military-Tactical/accessories/reservoirs/l/710.  I have the 100oz Short.  (my MULE came with the typical long/round)

The MULE itself was bought from some random site at the time.  I found it through a google search and took a chance.

I believe this is a 2011 model (they changed a little in features thru the years).
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 1:57:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Here is a cool video demonstrating a ham club operating an event (Boston Marathon again.  2012)

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 2:01:13 PM EDT
[#7]
This would give you plenty of power, and be able to not only power your radio but anyone else that might need it.

I like the idea and execution.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 3:04:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I would say two is one.  Have two of the same HT radio programmed the same.
Locally race support communications are stationed at the medical aid locations we carry our own boo-boo kits but the course medics are there for medical response.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 3:10:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I was thinking of starting a thread about the next level up of HT.

But having two UV2D models, which can use all the accessories I already have, would probably be ideal.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:38:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Ok, going back to the big battery concept:

what battery would give me four times the standard 1700mah run time?

Something light that will fit in the main pocket without taking up all the space.  I can run the 12V accessory back cable from within that pocket, up the shoulder strap and into the HT.

Potential caveat: the 12v back accessory provides 8.2V to the radio.  So I figure anything that supplies more, like a 9.6V source, is fine.  I tested it with a Radio Shack 8-AA holder using regular Duracells and it worked fine, providing 8.2V

Naturally anything less than 13.2/13.8 would mean that the battery becomes HT specific ............

Something like this perhaps?  http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9184
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 9:44:33 PM EDT
[#11]
whats the acceptable voltage input of your radio? find a battery pack with a voltage inside that range and build a custom pigtail to go from the battery to the radio.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 9:56:40 PM EDT
[#12]
My go bag....

30-512, AM-FM, 5 amp battery, submersible to 6 feet, among other features.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 9:57:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My go bag....

30-512, AM-FM, 5 amp battery, submersible to 6 feet.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o222/mancow_photos/forum%20photos/20140726_0047251_zps5c951498.jpg
View Quote

What are those going for these days...
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 9:58:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My go bag....

30-512, AM-FM, 5 amp battery, submersible to 6 feet.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o222/mancow_photos/forum%20photos/20140726_0047251_zps5c951498.jpg

About 3-4 grand now if you can find one (export non restricted crypto model).
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 3:18:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Ok, going back to the big battery concept:

what battery would give me four times the standard 1700mah run time?

Something light that will fit in the main pocket without taking up all the space.  I can run the 12V accessory back cable from within that pocket, up the shoulder strap and into the HT.

Potential caveat: the 12v back accessory provides 8.2V to the radio.  So I figure anything that supplies more, like a 9.6V source, is fine.  I tested it with a Radio Shack 8-AA holder using regular Duracells and it worked fine, providing 8.2V

Naturally anything less than 13.2/13.8 would mean that the battery becomes HT specific ............

Something like this perhaps?  http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9184
View Quote

The battery I posted above will do all that. Use it to charge your extra batteries in your pack or use your car adapter and power poles.

I wouldn't got with anything less than 12v. The cool thing about the battery I posted is the battery management that is built in. It requires no extra cell balancers, over/under voltage protection, and has built in fusing.

Last week I ran mine down when it was hooked to my laptop. The battery read 1.3v. I thought I had toasted it. I read through the documentation and it talked about over discharging. I hooked it in parallel to another 12v and put it on the charger. It has been fine since.

The other thing is weight. It is super light weight. That is true if you go the RC battery route too. My only thing is there isn't a easy way to charge an RC battery in the field.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 4:16:43 AM EDT
[#16]
I figured, but it doesn't fit in the main pocket (along with everything else). It appears to be the same dimensions as the ubiquitous 7ah SLA.

Plus the A123 is expensiiiiiiiiiiiiive

I just did a search on lifepo4 and found this: http://www.batteryspace.com/custom-lfp-12-8v-5-0ah-battery-pack-with-20a-pcb-and-24-18awg-wire-6-0.aspx

Just as many $$$$$$$$$ but should fit much better.

I think lifepo4 is much 'safer' than lipoly. ??
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 4:51:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Expensive is relative. The battery you posted cost even more and has no management system. I like the cheap RC batteries but by the time you add the cost, complexity, and bulk of an external charger for one it rivals the A123 battery.

The A123 fits in my mule pack with room to spare. Plus it is also an investment for your 703....

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 4:52:38 AM EDT
[#18]
have u considered the hi-cap factory battery for the 2D....MTC has them.....
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 8:08:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

that does look interdasting.

The SLA is heavy (relatively).  Adds almost 50% lbs to the pack.  That hinders it's walkaround utility.

Sorry CGW
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 8:40:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The SLA is heavy (relatively).  Adds almost 50% lbs to the pack.  That hinders it's walkaround utility.

Sorry CGW
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry CGW

That isn't an SLA, it is 1/3 the weight. Let me see if I can get awpticks in here, his face was priceless when he felt the difference.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 11:08:47 AM EDT
[#21]
That battery feels like an empty SLA battery. Like when you rip out all of the insides.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 11:14:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
That battery feels like an empty SLA battery. Like when you rip out all of the insides.
View Quote

My extensive review...

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 12:26:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 12:45:08 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote

That is an SLA. Look at the video above, when you apply a real world load to it the capacity drops to ~2.5Ah. Maybe less depending on the voltage range of your equipment. Plus that battery is twice as heavy. The price is hard to beat though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top