What? No tactical throat mic?
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 5:44:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What? No tactical throat mic?
View Quote

LOL!  Nah, I couldn't find a green one!  

The real reason for the speaker mic is my left thumb gets tired from holding the PTT on the FT-60.  On the Friday night IRLP/Echolink nets each round is three minutes max (unless you reset ).  This net has been running 3 or 4 hours the last several weeks.  It's easier for me to hold the speaker mic PTT than the one on the HT.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 11:06:07 AM EDT
[#3]
OK, I got bored the other day and decided to get out my soldering iron and make a new Pi-to-IRLP ribbon cable.  There is nothing wrong with the original cable except it's too long (12") and it's that ugly grey color.

Adafruit makes a GPIO Ribbon Cable 6" long and in custom Adafruit Black.

Thing is, you can't just swap the cables.  It has to be modified for IRLP use...

The end product winds up looking better, IMHO.  Not an additional 6" folded back and forth on itself and not that grey color.
Necessary?  No.  I told you I was bored.  

ETA:  I could have cut the original in half and spray painted it any color I wanted, but I wanted to keep it intact in case this experiment went horribly wrong... it's happened before.  

BEFORE

AFTER

Link Posted: 8/9/2014 11:27:05 AM EDT
[#4]
I need to ad this to the list of "I wants"

Link Posted: 8/10/2014 4:19:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Ok I keep see it so I have to ask. What is that keypad on the mat?
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 4:34:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

its the Rii wireless keyboard. BD how do you like that KB? i need one for my little android computer, the one i have is way to big for what i need.

edit to add Link
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 4:52:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks I might have a use for something like that.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 5:07:33 PM EDT
[#8]
BD, you NEED THIS
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 7:18:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

its the Rii wireless keyboard. BD how do you like that KB? i need one for my little android computer, the one i have is way to big for what i need.

edit to add Link
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

edit to add Link

Yep, that's what it is.  I use it for tweaking the linux program for the Raspberry Pi and IRLP boards.  It works pretty well, but I've got baseball mitts for hands and it's almost too small sometimes.  
There's another model that's just a little more $ that's backlit also. --->  BACKLIT MODEL LINK

Link Posted: 8/10/2014 7:21:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
BD, you NEED THIS
View Quote

That's cool as hell!  I've seen similar screens on Adafruit's Website, but the one you linked to looks very compact.  Thanks, mylt1!  

Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:08:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That's cool as hell!  I've seen similar screens on Adafruit's Website, but the one you linked to looks very compact.  Thanks, mylt1!  

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61HcsqAjhKL._SL1500_.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
BD, you NEED THIS

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61HcsqAjhKL._SL1500_.jpg

did you notice that its a touch screen as well? its also a little bigger than the one in the link you posted. if you could use that and the HDMI output at the same time it would be a neat little home theater PC setup.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:11:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yep, that's what it is.  I use it for tweaking the linux program for the Raspberry Pi and IRLP boards.  It works pretty well, but I've got baseball mitts for hands and it's almost too small sometimes.  
There's another model that's just a little more $ that's backlit also. --->  BACKLIT MODEL LINK

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81E3JOe2QbL._SL1500_.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

edit to add Link

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81E3JOe2QbL._SL1500_.jpg

i didnt see the back lit one. i NEED that one since it will be for the TV in the bedroom.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:16:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Manpack digital
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:22:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Manpack digital
View Quote

you could have the pi, that screen, that small KB, and build a battery pack and have a complete system that would fit in a cargo pocket.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:24:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

you could have the pi, that screen, that small KB, and build a battery pack and have a complete system that would fit in a cargo pocket.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Manpack digital

Don't forget the KX3 to go along with it in the other pocket.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:27:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Manpack digital

i might be crazy but im still thinking about picking up one of the X108's. going to wait till they are out for a little while before i pull the trigger though. im sure in a couple of months i will be able to pick one up cheaper than the pre order price. i just cant pull the trigger on the KX3. a grand is a little out of my price range.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 11:41:41 AM EDT
[#17]
2 questions before I go throwing money at this:

1. How far off were you on the ft-8800 to getting it to cooperate with the irlp board? Can this be done, and can we learn from your labors? Or is this project better off with dedicated radio? (I'm not giving up my 8800 to be a full time irlp.)

2. On the subject of the pi.. I have no wires for my internets until I get to the router upstairs and would like to keep this close to the shack. How much more hassle would you think this to be to go with a B+ so I can go wireless over the plug and play PiRLP.?

If I go option 1 I think I can be running for $250.00 using my radio and old XP machine. If I go the second I'm looking at double that+.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 12:24:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
2 questions before I go throwing money at this:

1. How far off were you on the ft-8800 to getting it to cooperate with the irlp board? Can this be done, and can we learn from your labors? Or is this project better off with dedicated radio? (I'm not giving up my 8800 to be a full time irlp.)

I think I was closer to getting the 8800 to work as the node radio than I first thought.  In the second post of this thread, r-2-k-b-a commented that the problem is with getting the proper PL codes entered into the 8800.  I have codes entered on my 8800 now, but it is not in the node radio position.  It TX's to the Alinco (just like the FT-60 HT).  Never successfully got the 8800 to work as the node radio.  I still have the $61 IRLPcables.com 8800 cable you can experiment with if you'd like.

2. On the subject of the pi.. I have no wires for my internets until I get to the router upstairs and would like to keep this close to the shack. How much more hassle would you think this to be to go with a B+ so I can go wireless over the plug and play PiRLP.?

I have the 2 USB ports on the Pi populated with the USB sound card and the wireless adapter for the mini keyboard.  The keyboard isn't necessary after you configure the node and it's up and running.  So you could replace it with a wireless adapter for WIFI.  I'd save the money and go with the regular Raspberry Pi, not the B+ version.  I'm not very familiar with the B+, though, so YMMV.

If I go option 1 I think I can be running for $250.00 using my radio and old XP machine. If I go the second I'm looking at double that+.
View Quote

Answered in BLUE above.  

Link Posted: 8/17/2014 1:18:30 PM EDT
[#19]
I think I was closer to getting the 8800 to work as the node radio than I first thought. In the second post of this thread, r-2-k-b-a commented that the problem is with getting the proper PL codes entered into the 8800. I have codes entered on my 8800 now, but it is not in the node radio position. It TX's to the Alinco (just like the FT-60 HT). Never successfully got the 8800 to work as the node radio. I still have the $61 IRLPcables.com 8800 cable you can experiment with if you'd like.
View Quote

Ah. If I'm reading that correctly, then you were REAL close. You just needed to click the knob probably one more time to get "ENC-DEC" instead of "ENC".
I think "ENC" just sends a tone out on transmit, "ENC-DEC" requires tone on both tx & rec. Correct?

I may take you up on experimenting with the cables. I'm planning on going shopping soon.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 1:31:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Ah. If I'm reading that correctly, then you were REAL close. You just needed to click the knob probably one more time to get "ENC-DEC" instead of "ENC".
I think "ENC" just sends a tone out on transmit, "ENC-DEC" requires tone on both tx & rec. Correct?
View Quote

I think that's correct.  

Link Posted: 8/17/2014 3:24:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Hold mai beer and watch this:
You just made a payment of
$188.00 USD
View Quote

Checked the old xp machine one more time and verified that it had a parallel port.
Is there koolaid for this malady?
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 4:57:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Congrats, otar!  The koolaid you already are familiar with... "The One and Only"!  

Link Posted: 8/17/2014 6:28:36 PM EDT
[#23]
BD, radio shack has those 2.8" screens on the rack. i was just in there yesterday. they are $16. just in case you want to try one.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 4:06:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
BD, radio shack has those 2.8" screens on the rack. i was just in there yesterday. they are $16. just in case you want to try one.
View Quote

I may have to go by and have a look tonight on my way home from work.  Thanks mylt1.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:59:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Do you have a part number?
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 4:41:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't made it to Radio Shack, yet.  From the reviews on the Amazon link mylt1 posted above, some folks new to Linux (like me) have had some trouble getting it to work with their Pi's.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 7:33:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

no, i didnt think about it at the time. they have one listed on their site but its $30 some bucks. in store it was $15 or $16 but i guess it could have been on the wrong peg. i will check next time im up there.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:30:12 PM EDT
[#28]
OMG.
This is a PITA to set up.
Board and install disk got here with no problems. Install disk looks to be CentOS 4.9 which is not a current version.
Hardware went together pretty good. Documentation was a bit lax. No mention of plugging the power into the card, but I did figure out that there was an extra plug port that was shaped like the power plugs for all the drives.

Computer sitting for well over a couple years needed dusted off. 1 of the 2 dvd rom drives wont read. Good thing I had 2 on it.
Software DVD is dead out of the package. I've tried it out on 2 different dvd drives on the node machine, my desk top computer and the lap top. Its a coaster.
I found the owners page for IRLP and then found ISO download mirrors.
NEW - Debian 7 (Wheezy) Distribution (Recommended for New Installs) was downloaded and burned as ISO.ISO verified and passed burn verification. Went to install and Checksum failed and wont install.
Copy of CentOS 4.9 (Final) Distribution (which was what was sent with the board) was downloaded and burned. Something in that one isn't playing nice with the computer. At least I get to the splash screen. I'm currently doing a memory test just to make sure. 1 hour later I'm 24% done. I'm 99.99999% positive that its not a memory issue, so I'll probably cancel that test and try again.
I'm also going to re-download Wheezy and see if I can run checksum on it.

All this and I've yet to actually hook up the radio to the computer and start fighting with it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:15:32 PM EDT
[#29]
I hope you get it worked out, otar.  Hang in there!  Save some of the Newcastle for the Friday night net!

*Sent from the Acer netbook now running Linux Mint 17 Xfce
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:25:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Second copy of Debian 7 (Wheezy) seems to be installing. CentOs might have been a bit old for this computer. I passed the part where I had to make a root password.

Update: 22:09
Now were cooking with gas!
I believe that IRLP software is all installed and configured. Linux says that the sound card is working correctly. I now have a node number!
pgp key sent off, and now I wait.
Tomorrow or so after I get the e-mail from the IRLP people I'll plug the radio into the computer and start the config on that.
When that gets done then I can update the status page.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 6:02:48 AM EDT
[#31]
Success!

I think last night I was too tired to see the tree for the forest..
Again, its the serious lack of documentation and proofing.
Fancy and expensive cable's install instruction have color coded plugs. 1 green and 1 blue. Those are to be plugged into the industry colored green (speakers), and blue (line in) jacks. Simple enough. My computer has those green, blue, and red jacks.
Instructions for setup aumix has you set "R" on mic, and "P" on everything else with no mention of what those letters mean.

So, I'm dreaming radio last night/this morning  and decided that part of my morning coffee was going to be spent playing with radio and move the blue jacketed plug over to red jack (mic) and see what happens. As soon as I got over to the computer that is host to the radio and saw the plugs the little light in my head turned on (fueled by coffee) and said ah-ha!
Plugged blue into red and I'm on the air. Bounce check came back great and dumped my 2&70 freq's into chirp and then onto the Baofengs.

I'm pretty sure that that "R" on aumix is the active port to transmit, but this is working so I'm not going to mess with it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 6:48:19 AM EDT
[#32]
Called otar on his new node and it sounds great!  Congrats on getting it operational so quickly!  

"Node number XXXX, link clear" when I disconnected.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:35:08 PM EDT
[#33]
I dusted of my Rasberry Pi

This is quite tempting

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:07:33 PM EDT
[#34]
We'd welcome your experience to the Friday net, Mr. Harry.  Heck, a lot of us already have most of the equipment laying around to do this, I'd bet.  
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top