Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2014 8:15:15 AM EDT
I put in my paid application on 4/13 and saw the status go to "Redlight Review Completed" on 4/15.  The other thing I saw was "Vanity Call Sign Eligibility Code changed" on 4/13.  Since then there's been no change.  How long does this process usually take?

I hold a general class license and requested a 1X3 call sign that does not currently exist in the FCC database.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:20:50 AM EDT
[#1]
18 days.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:39:19 AM EDT
[#2]
AE7Q has your prediction as assignment on 5/2/14
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:24:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Vanity Call Time < Tax Stamp Time

All you need to know.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:44:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

All you need to know.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:53:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

All you need to know.  
View Quote
Well played sir.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:41:26 PM EDT
[#6]
for my vanity call, i turned in my application & payment electronically 11/27/2013.  got my call 12/17/2013.

your patience will be rewarded.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 1:37:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Look at the Link below and it will show details of your vanity and the date it was applied for on, and which call sign you will probably get out if your choices.
This website as already mentioned will answer all your questions.
Just look under the day that you applied for it.

http://www.ae7q.com/query/
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 1:41:12 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Look at the Link below and it will show details of your date and which call sign you will probably get out if your choices.

View Quote
Great, there is exactly ZERO vanity available in my region.

The FCC shows my upgrade on the database, but has not yet issued me my new call sign (I would have though that would be automatic from a computer database)--gotta get the next assigned letters before deciding whether I want to go the vanity route).  I also just realized, they have me listed as "group D," which makes no sense as their web page says that group D: Group
  D - Novice, Club, and Military Recreations Station

I should have been group C, and now should be moved to group A.  Wonderful, fighting a bureaucracy, just what I love to do.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:38:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Look at the Link below and it will show details of your vanity and the date it was applied for on, and which call sign you will probably get out if your choices.

View Quote

Way cool.  It looks like I should have my fancy new call sign just in time for mock field day on May 3.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:04:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The FCC shows my upgrade on the database, but has not yet issued me my new call sign (I would have though that would be automatic from a computer database)--gotta get the next assigned letters before deciding whether I want to go the vanity route).  I also just realized, they have me listed as "group D," which makes no sense as their web page says that group D: Group    D - Novice, Club, and Military Recreations Station
I should have been group C, and now should be moved to group A.  Wonderful, fighting a bureaucracy, just what I love to do.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Look at the Link below and it will show details of your date and which call sign you will probably get out if your choices.

The FCC shows my upgrade on the database, but has not yet issued me my new call sign (I would have though that would be automatic from a computer database)--gotta get the next assigned letters before deciding whether I want to go the vanity route).  I also just realized, they have me listed as "group D," which makes no sense as their web page says that group D: Group    D - Novice, Club, and Military Recreations Station

Most of the 2 and 3-land 2x1 and 1x2 and 1x3 calls are issued to Floridians. Do what I do in my area, troll the obituaries.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:23:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Zero vanity calls of what format? If you are looking at 1x2s then they are scooped up as soon ass hey become available so you need to now what is becoming available and when to apply. For example, there is a 1x2 call in area 4 opening up in 4 days.
Also, you don't have to apply for a vanity in your region.

I used RadioQTH  to find the calls that were becoming available when I was applying and it was very helpful to me.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:42:59 AM EDT
[#12]
What's the criteria for the FCC choosing who gets the call sign?  There was one I just applied for, 1 guy had an application just before mine, and it seems like they just picked somebody at random out of the 20 or so who had applied.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:51:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What's the criteria for the FCC choosing who gets the call sign?  There was one I just applied for, 1 guy had an application just before mine, and it seems like they just picked somebody at random out of the 20 or so who had applied.
View Quote

You have it figured out.
All the applicants that apply on a given day are randomized.
The applicants lists are then gone through in order of preference with the first available call sign being assigned.

You can ask for a refund of your fees if you don't get the call you applied for as well.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:33:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm also listed as Group D, but I don't think it matters because I looked up a few extra class operators I know and they're shown as group D as well.  I think tat may be the group for the call sign you have and not the operator's class.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:56:46 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Zero vanity calls of what format? If you are looking at 1x2s then they are scooped up as soon ass hey become available so you need to now what is becoming available and when to apply. For example, there is a 1x2 call in area 4 opening up in 4 days.

I used RadioQTH  to find the calls that were becoming available when I was applying and it was very helpful to me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Both 1x2s and 2x1s.

I am waiting for the FCC to assign me a 2x2, as I requested a new call sign when I got the Extra up-grade on my license. I want to see what I get systematically before I go the vanity route.  However, the up-grade shows up in the FCC database, but no new call sign assignment.  I would have thought that was trivial since it was systematically given.

There is a ton of 2x2 available.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:34:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You have it figured out.
The applicants lists are then gone through in order of preference with the first available call sign being assigned.

You can ask for a refund of your fees if you don't get the call you applied for as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have it figured out.

Where is this info found?  I have submitted about 4 applications and haven't received the call sign yet.

I figured as much on the random assignment.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 11:50:09 AM EDT
[#17]
They have info on it on the ARRL website:

Refunds; Applicants who submit an FCC Form 605 application but are not successful in obtaining a Vanity call sign with that application may seek a refund of the application fee, by writing to FCC, 1270 Fairfield Rd, Gettysburg PA 17325-7245. Applicants must write to FCC to obtain the refund since the FCC does not automatically refund the fee when an application is dismissed. Be sure to include the Taxpayer ID Number (TIN) which was listed on the Form 605 application when seeking a refund.

http://www.arrl.org/vanity-call-sign-fees
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:31:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I am waiting for the FCC to assign me a 2x2, as I requested a new call sign when I got the Extra up-grade on my license. I want to see what I get systematically before I go the vanity route.  However, the up-grade shows up in the FCC database, but no new call sign assignment.  I would have thought that was trivial since it was systematically given.

View Quote

looks like your sequential Extra call sign will be KV4X"x" or KV4Y"x" if they run out of KV4X"x" series calls.  i too waited for my sequential call, & used it for a bit here in FL, until i applied for an available vanity call.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:16:57 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
looks like your sequential Extra call sign will be KV4X"x" or KV4Y"x" if they run out of KV4X"x" series calls.  i too waited for my sequential call, & used it for a bit here in FL, until i applied for an available vanity call.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, I checked on the FCC database, and looking at what they had, they had a N in the box for request a new call sign.  The %^$*&#^& VEs or VEC must have f'ed it up and NOT requested a new sequential call.  They even asked me if I really wanted to check the box (with my initials right there) and I assured them I did.

I cursed for about 10 minutes, then went on-line and ordered a vanity call from the FCC.

Still pissed about it.

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 6:23:00 AM EDT
[#20]

I came to this thread only to post that link (but I was beaten to it).  

When I got my 2x1 (one of the last 3 in 5-land) I used that page to figure out who else had applied for it, and what the chances were that I'd get assigned my first choice.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 9:24:57 AM EDT
[#21]

Any of you Extras looking for a vanity 2x1 in region 5?  AB5I is a silent key...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top