Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2014 2:05:16 PM EDT
The radio has the 220MHz capability. The UV-5R doesn't. Download this chirp http://trac.chirp.danplanet.com/chirp_daily/daily-20140413/ update and change your upper freq limits in the settings menu and Bam tri band goodness. Get a cheap http://www.ebay.com/itm/151143088745?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 220 rubber duck antenna before TXing.

ETA: according to the support data, the 5R is listed.

http://trac.chirp.danplanet.com/chirp_daily/daily-20140413/Model_Support.html

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 2:14:48 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Que pasa holmes? Did I step in dupage?

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 2:16:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

No I was just retracting my skepticism.

Brick o lore is a good guy and post here every now and then.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 2:31:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Are you sure?  The UV-5R was said to be able to do 220 mhz, but what was found out was you could change the frequency limits via CHIRP, but the filters in the radio did not allow those frequencies to work.  There was very little, if any output on 220 mhz.

There is ONE special version available via Radiomart that the filters were set up for 220 mhz operation.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 2:36:33 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Are you sure?  The UV-5R was said to be able to do 220 mhz, but what was found out was you could change the frequency limits via CHIRP, but the filters in the radio did not allow those frequencies to work.  There was very little, if any output on 220 mhz.

There is ONE special version available via Radiomart that the filters were set up for 220 mhz operation.
View Quote

Nope. Not sure. After reading up in the Yahoo groups, it looks like a no go.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:56:34 PM EDT
[#6]
220 mhz operation was widely discussed about the UV-5R, with many saying you could do it, but nobody could actually demonstrate that it actually worked.  The filters in the radio limit it to 2 m / 70 cm operation.  I would think the same is true of the UV-B5.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:44:23 PM EDT
[#7]
The way I understand it, the 5R and B5 internally are very different animals. I have been able to reach a 1.25m repeater 15 miles away. I haven't been able to test it simplex yet.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:02:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The way I understand it, the 5R and B5 internally are very different animals. I have been able to reach a 1.25m repeater 15 miles away. I haven't been able to test it simplex yet.
View Quote

Make sure your antenna will work on 220 mhz.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:44:57 AM EDT
[#9]
I wonder if the same is true for the UV-82. They have the 82X which is 144/220 and I wonder if they are the same internally and my 82 can be software modded to work on 220.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:56:33 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I bought a 220mhz rubber duck just for it.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:21:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I wonder if the same is true for the UV-82. They have the 82X which is 144/220 and I wonder if they are the same internally and my 82 can be software modded to work on 220.
View Quote

So far, this isn't working on the UV82.  I guess I'll order a UVB5 and experiment with it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 10:40:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Most of these radios use a SMA-Female antennas.  I think some of them are Male.  But if you do have radios with different polarity antennas you can buy double SMA Males, and double Female adapters.

Also, and THIS IS IMPORTANT... SMA-Female is NOT the same as SMA-Reverse.  SMA-Reverse is a special plug/socket type used by D-Link and some other wifi router manufacturers to comply with FCC regs that they not accept common antennas.  For SMA-Reverse, the center pen is in the "wrong" half of the male/female pair.  What you want for many of the Baofengs (Bow-Fung) and Wouxon (prononced O-shun like Ocean) radios is an SMA-Female antenna.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top