BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/18/2014 10:55:49 AM EDT
Does anyone have any knowledge on how to run a mIRC chat with a ham radio
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:36:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:46:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Either 1200/9600 baud packet or Broadband Hamnet.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:02:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I know it is "possible" I have played with some of the ideas myself. Usability might have to change a little like limiting scroll back.

I really wanted to get Danny's Digital Packet to work for something like this so that you wouldn't need external hardware such as a TNC.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:38:31 PM EDT
[#4]
You could do it with AX.25 but it would probably be better to write a purpose-built chat application, or just have your TNC display all packets and just watch what people type.

Is there a specific application you have in mind?
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:44:48 PM EDT
[#5]
In theory you could run a IRC server on a Broadband-Hamnet network. I don't think gating it to the internet and efnet, undernet, etc, would be kosher though.

There are a number of freeware IRC servers for windows and linux out there.

SI, former chanop on EFNET #30plus
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:53:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In theory you could run a IRC server on a Broadband-Hamnet network. I don't think gating it to the internet and efnet, undernet, etc, would be kosher though.

View Quote

So what you are saying is you can do IRC over wifi?

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:58:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

mIRC?  You talking about Internet Relay Chat?

Old-skool EFNET represent!

ETA:  something like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-Be8e2tclU
View Quote

Also old school EFNET!

From about '95 to '99
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:02:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

You can do IRC over any TCP/IP network, provided there isn't any port blocking in effect on any routers or firewalls.

I wouldn't want to try multiple servers like EFNET or the others run, but single server and some clients should run OK.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:51:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Well I have used it on over HF once before I didn't set any of it up so I don't know whte specifics used the mIRC program on windows XP.

I'm assuming it possible to set up a network of computers using mIRC that never touches the itnernet.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:59:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Well I have used it on over HF once before I didn't set any of it up so I don't know whte specifics used the mIRC program on windows XP.

I'm assuming it possible to set up a network of computers using mIRC that never touches the itnernet.
View Quote

The military uses it extensively in the centcom AOR.  I won't presume to know what hardware we use, I've just seen the terminals we put on our aircraft for mIRC.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:59:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ha!
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 3:04:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

.mil radio != ham radio

Are you just trying to have a keyboard to keyboard chat over radio?

Every week a few of us on this forum get together on 7.112MHz and have a keyboard to keyboard chat. The net covers all of the US. You can use the same thing to transfer pictures and files.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 3:21:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:39:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not exactly.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:40:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Not exactly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not exactly.

Ohhh, you have to set the SSID to your callsign first.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:46:44 PM EDT
[#16]
You're starting to sound like the two castle guards in Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

From provided link:

•Do NOT change the SSID unless you are an expert and understand that you will be creating an entirely different mesh network when you do so
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:37:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Pretty simple to do a basic keyboard to keyboard chat on packet.  Welcome to 1992.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:15:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm curious why you say it would be bad to hook it into the internet?  Not a HAM, so maybe there's some regulations I'm not aware of.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:16:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The military uses it extensively in the centcom AOR.  I won't presume to know what hardware we use, I've just seen the terminals we put on our aircraft for mIRC.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just PCs running IRC servers.  GCCS mostly from what I recall, but it's been a few years since I really worked on that particular system.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:19:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I'm curious why you say it would be bad to hook it into the internet?  Not a HAM, so maybe there's some regulations I'm not aware of.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are some rules. I think it is a grey area in today's world due to the fact of "encryption". In the 80-90s there were networks that tied packet radio into the internet. Most of that is gone. Today we have a system called APRS (civilian blue force tracker) it is possible to send an email over that network and it hit a gateway and be delivered over the internet.

mIRC oR Transverse or maco or whatever the flavor of the month is as a chat client is easy on mil radios. The new 117g has a built-in modem. There is also the part where we are limited to speeds and bandwidth and have technology that is far behind.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:23:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Regarding linking a ham rin rf linked irc server to efnet or undernet,

Bandwidth would be stressed
Control op is responsible for ALL traffic through their station. You gonna unleash the zoo that is #sex on the airwaves? Let me know what your letter of enforcement says when it arrives.

Edited for cursed touchscreen leyboard. Sometimes I miss my old slider phone with real hardware!.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:42:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Regarding linking a ham rin rf linked irc server to efnet or undernet,

Bandwidth would be stressed
Control op is responsible for ALL traffic through their station. You gonna unleash the zoo that is #sex on the airwaves? Let me know what uour le they ter of enforcement says when it arrives.
View Quote

This, no fucking way would I let that go out one of my radios. I am currently building IRC into my raspberry pi that will also provide PBX services over my MESH nodes.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:43:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:56:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Eventually I would like to provide IRC, PBX, and an email server. But that may require more than one pi.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 2:01:11 PM EDT
[#25]
I have been wondering how to get speech recognition as good as my phone on a pi.

"w1aw send email"
-"Send Email?"
"Yes"
-"Who would you like to address it to?"
"[email protected]"
-"return address?"
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:04:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have been wondering how to get speech recognition as good as my phone on a pi.

"w1aw send email"
-"Send Email?"
"Yes"
-"Who would you like to address it to?"
"[email protected]"
-"return address?"
View Quote

Simon
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:11:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think the real secret sauce is that it's not processed locally on droid devices. I may be wrong about this particular use, but google does stores a voice profile in their cloud to aid in recognition.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:47:05 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

mIRC?  You talking about Internet Relay Chat?

Old-skool EFNET represent!

ETA:  something like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-Be8e2tclU
View Quote

Yeah I remember EFnet before it went to shit. Did that back in the 90s.

The ARF COM Chat is run on an IRC server.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 11:50:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Thank you all for the enthusiasm. And yes, I got the idea from the military, my goal is just to be able to check the computer from time to time for messages... just sounds convenient.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 5:39:05 AM EDT
[#30]
You would probably be better served by a smartphone with a data plan and an irc client loaded. Since the op doesn't mention a usage scenario, I'm not seeing anything that of the shelf stuff couldn't accomplish.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top