Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2014 8:16:58 AM EDT
So, I've discovered that none of the cheap USB dongles offer stereo recording... So, after buying three different brands of them, I'm considering two things.

1. buying a pro-level soundcard, and being done with it.
2. dealing with the intermittent latency and possible I/Q shift of using two DACs.

I think I'm going with option one.

So far I've narrowed it down to these guys:
192kHz:
http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Xonar-U7-Sound-Card/dp/B00E7QA9E0
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/steinberg-ur22-usb2.0-audio-interface

96kHz:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/focusrite-scarlett-2i2-usb-audio-interface
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009WN7QT4

48kHz (only because it's cheap and small, and will probably do everything I need):
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UA11MK2/

I understand the relationship between the sampling rate, but in the interest of helping anyone/everyone else, here we are, listing all options. I'm looking at the Steinberg ur22 right now, but I'm concerned about linux drivers... I've seen how the softrock performs with a 90kHz sound card (in my macbook pro)  and I'm not sure I need an extra 100kHz, but I'm assuming the 192kHz cards will resolve better at 96kHz than the 96kHz cards. The next SDR I build will have an internal sound card, so this isn't something that will live forever, but it'll be nice to have another interface that I can use when I get to that point. Besides, who doesn't love a bearded dude singing a Miley Cyrus cover on youtube?

What say ye, hive?
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:20:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Check your internal card before buying one

I found that even my old PC had an internal 192 sound card
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:06:16 PM EDT
[#2]
How about finding a Sound Blaster USB sound card?

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:13:50 AM EDT
[#3]
The soundcard on my computer SUCKS.

The channels are slightly offset with DC.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:48:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Isolation. Make sure you have isolation for the feed from the radio to computer. This kills ground loops that can cause havoc with rx.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 2:40:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Isolation. Make sure you have isolation for the feed from the radio to computer. This kills ground loops that can cause havoc with rx.
View Quote

Yeah, I just lifted the ground on the USB soundcard I'm using right now, and it kinda works a little better.

I just need to get DSP Radio to transmit.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:59:12 AM EDT
[#6]
I isolated the USB ground on the cheap-ass USB soundcard (48kHz) that I picked up. It removed some of the DC Offset, but not all of it.

I got it working, and it's great. I can actually use this SDR with my fiancee's parents plasma TV on. Unfortunately, I was messing with the softrock last night, and discovered that the LTV-817 (the optoisolator that controls the PTT) wasn't working, so I tried jumpering it, and burned out a 1/4W resistor, because I didn't jumper it correctly... Oops.

I have a new optoisolator coming, more 4.99K 1% 1/4W resistors, and just in case I blew out one of the FETs, I got a couple replacement BS170 MOSFETs too.

I'm now seriously considering a Flex or a Peaberry V2 for the main shack at home, and selling the IC-718. Although, I know that if I sell it, it'll feel like when I sold that SKS a couple years back.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:31:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:43:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Saw a Flex 6700 yesterday at the ham fest.  Didn't get much time with it, but didn't need much either.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:46:21 AM EDT
[#9]

I don't like buying a car and being told I can only use one manufactures tires, oil, wiper fluid.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:56:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I don't like buying a car and being told I can only use one manufactures tires, oil, wiper fluid.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I didn't know the Flex needed oil?  Do you have one?

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:03:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I isolated the USB ground on the cheap-ass USB soundcard (48kHz) that I picked up. It removed some of the DC Offset, but not all of it.

I got it working, and it's great. I can actually use this SDR with my fiancee's parents plasma TV on. Unfortunately, I was messing with the softrock last night, and discovered that the LTV-817 (the optoisolator that controls the PTT) wasn't working, so I tried jumpering it, and burned out a 1/4W resistor, because I didn't jumper it correctly... Oops.

I have a new optoisolator coming, more 4.99K 1% 1/4W resistors, and just in case I blew out one of the FETs, I got a couple replacement BS170 MOSFETs too.

I'm now seriously considering a Flex or a Peaberry V2 for the main shack at home, and selling the IC-718. Although, I know that if I sell it, it'll feel like when I sold that SKS a couple years back.
View Quote

If you don't mind QRP, the Flex 1500 can be found for about $500 on the used market.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:46:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No I do not. I wouldn't mind owning one either, however as long as they only cater to the MS crowd I will be left out. They have really been the only name in SDR for years but now others are starting to catchup. You won't find any Flex hate from me like other forums. I have decided on my OS like I have decided on Ford v Chevy, beans v no beans, 45 v 9mm.

I am looking forward to the hackrf and what it brings. I know it won't have the power of a Flex or Anan but it looks like it could be fun.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:41:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

No I do not. I wouldn't mind owning one either, however as long as they only cater to the MS crowd I will be left out. They have really been the only name in SDR for years but now others are starting to catchup. You won't find any Flex hate from me like other forums. I have decided on my OS like I have decided on Ford v Chevy, beans v no beans, 45 v 9mm.
I am looking forward to the hackrf and what it brings. I know it won't have the power of a Flex or Anan but it looks like it could be fun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did a read on HackRF and it sounds like it has potential.  

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:49:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I did a read on HackRF and it sounds like it has potential.  

View Quote

I have been following it since he first released the idea. It is designed more for the VHF/UHF stuff but there have been pretty good reports with upconverters.

Some of the people I talk to about it aren't as accepting. Your normal "I don't want to have to have a computer" crowd. I think it could be a really good thing for the hobby though. It would bring in a different demographic for one but more than that it could spawn DIY kits like Heathkit of old.

There are already some decent amplifier designs out there, but it wouldn't hurt for more. And with it being open source there are sure to be others with different features and capabilities.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:35:10 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm with GCW.

Unless it runs on OS X and linux, I'm not buying any radio.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:52:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

If you don't mind QRP, the Flex 1500 can be found for about $500 on the used market.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a Flex-1500, and while I do like my K3 more for the price the 1500 is a nice little radio
My largest complaint was being tied to a computer, the second was being tied to MS Windows.
If those two don't bother you than you may want to go that route.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:02:46 PM EDT
[#17]
There should really be a linux or Win thread for people to pout in.

As a software dev, I could give two shits as to what someone else chooses to be their platform.

I looked at the Flex 6700, but still needs some work.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 3:58:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
There should really be a linux or Win thread for people to pout in.

As a software dev, I could give two shits as to what someone else chooses to be their platform.

I looked at the Flex 6700, but still needs some work.
View Quote

Nah, It strictly comes down to cost for me. I don't want to pay $534.75 for a windows license, only to have fancy effects and need to reboot to install just about every update.

I don't understand why so many people love the Flex, other than it's an SDR. It's not known for being robust, it's picky about everything, and it's an appliance...

I prefer to build radios, not buy 'em. I'm doing a Peaberry V2 as soon as they come back in stock.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 7:11:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Yeah, a reboot is tough compared to a kernel patch.  

If I was to buy right now, it would probably be the Anan 200D.  It's roughly half the price of the 6700.  Should start hearing reports on the 200D with pre-orders supposedly shipping out today.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 7:42:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Yeah, a reboot is tough compared to a kernel patch.  
View Quote

Not trying to get into a battle about which OS is better. I make my living on windows, and yes, I do have a windows machine for my small business, but only because SolidWorks doesn't run well in a virtual machine. I try to only use that machine for the business, since it's technically the business's property.

I like free, I like cheap, I like to tinker. Hence getting a softrock rxtx instead of a flex 1500.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 11:01:34 AM EDT
[#21]
I got the new optoisolator today, and it transmits! Wooooo!

Unfortunately, the USB Sound card I was using is dead... After thinking it was a configuration issue, or maybe something wrong with the actual SDR, I discovered the issue with the receive audio. The line-in is dead.

Don't buy a Sabrent USB-SND8 8-Channel 3D USB 2.0 External 7.1 Surround Sound Box with Digital Output and expect it to last.

ETA: and now it kinda works... WTF...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top